PDA

View Full Version : Totally turning off the Dimplex fireplace?



TxCowboy
12-30-2014, 09:50 PM
Hey, gang. My Dimplex fireplace stays lighted even when it is turned off -- both the power and the blower switches are in the off position.

There is a circuit breaker on the AC panel marked FIREPLACE but turning this to the OFF position does nothing to the fireplace. (It also makes me wonder what is protected by the FIREPLACE breaker since it is not the fireplace but that's another thread.)

Is this like the Stereo/DVD player that you really cannot turn off?

Help, please!

danemayer
12-30-2014, 10:34 PM
I have no idea why the switches don't turn the fireplace off, but as for the circuit breaker, I'd guess maybe the fireplace cord is plugged into the wrong outlet.

TxCowboy
12-30-2014, 11:33 PM
Dan, I'm thinking the same as you -- plugged in incorrectly OR that the plug itself is not on the circuit protected by the fireplace circuit breaker.

Unfortunately, it appears that, to confirm these theories, I would have to remove the system entirely from the surrounding support framing.

Would you agree?

danemayer
12-30-2014, 11:51 PM
If you've got cabinets near the fireplace you might find the power cord goes to an outlet in the cabinet. I have a rear entertainment model with the outlets in the right hand cabinet.

If you do have to take out the fireplace, it's usually not difficult. There's usually molding that frames the fireplace, attached with brads. The molding can be gently pried off. (It can be a little harder to re-use the original brads.) There are a couple of screws in the corners holding the fireplace to the wood framing. Then it just slides out and you can see how it's powered.

jbeletti
12-31-2014, 12:16 AM
The Fireplace recept will always be a single outlet recept. Often times, that outlet is outside the fireplace cabinet in an adjoining space to the left or right. Then there's a pass-through hole the cord goes through. I'm sure this design is not the same on all brands and floor plans but something to look for.

My "guess" is that your breaker panel is mismarked. Let everyone know what you find out.

donr827
12-31-2014, 05:14 AM
Turn on everything that you can inside that is on a receptacle. Turn one off at a time and see what item looses power. Make sure the panel is marked correctly and change the marking if necessary. Eventually you will find the fireplace breaker. Kill two birds with one stone.
Don

wdk450
12-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Even if you find the fireplace breaker, you probably also need to replace the fireplace main power switch, or investigate the fireplace internal wiring as to why the main switch does nothing. The main switch is a quick response cure if anything goes seriously wrong with the fireplace, and you are in danger. As with most electrical devices, the manufacturer assembles their product from mostly generally available generic electrical devices (Mixed with their custom items like the flames image generator, and fake logs). The switch should have some printing on the side of it that you can search on the internet to get a new switch.

BTW, the wood trim on my fireplace is held in with 4 screws on the front which are under wooden screw hole plugs that just pull out. There is then 1 screw at the top center holding the glass in place. After you remove the front glass you can remove the 4 retaining screws for the entire fireplace at the top and bottom front of the sides sheet metal. Then the fireplace just pulls out towards you.

TxCowboy
12-31-2014, 10:20 AM
Guys, thanks for the replies. I'll pop out later today and do a bit more investigation as to what's going on with this unit. I'll post the results.

TravelTiger
12-31-2014, 10:46 AM
In our case, we did not have a fireplace, but added one. The coach was already wired for the fireplace, the plug was inside the cabinet. It uses a yellow romex wire to the plug, whereas regular plugs use white. It was wired to a breaker labeled fireplace. Hope this info helps in your search for the correct plug/breaker.

cookie
12-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Erika, FYI the yellow romex is 12 gauge wire and white is 14 gauge wire.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti
12-31-2014, 10:56 AM
Good info Dave and Erika.

For the OP, if you end up taking the AC breaker panel out (easy to do), turn the AC power off, then look for the yellow Romex connected to or near the Fireplace breaker.

TxCowboy
12-31-2014, 11:17 AM
OK, haven't gotten out to the unit yet (heading off to an appointment in a few minutes) but if I'm having to dismantle the AC panel to remedy this issue, I've well exceeded my skill level.

I'm hoping I'm just missing something silly and NOT that this an issue with the quality control or a major safety issue on this RV. I have a background in industrial safety and already have an issue with something as simple as not having a way to remove power to the stereo/DVD player.

travelin2
12-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Erika, FYI the yellow romex is 12 gauge wire and white is 14 gauge wire.

Peace
Dave

What Dave said. 20 amp circuit vs a 15 amp usually.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nomad45
12-31-2014, 12:21 PM
Hey, gang. My Dimplex fireplace stays lighted even when it is turned off -- both the power and the blower switches are in the off position.


Please don't kill me if this sounds dumb... you probably know this already. When I first bought my rig, I thought my fireplace was still "lit" when it was supposed to be off. Looking closer, I found that it was just ambient light reflecting off the red cellophane used to create the red glow from the logs. Checking it at night, with all the lights off confirmed it. Just a thought...
Dave

TxCowboy
12-31-2014, 02:15 PM
Please don't kill me if this sounds dumb... you probably know this already. When I first bought my rig, I thought my fireplace was still "lit" when it was supposed to be off. Looking closer, I found that it was just ambient light reflecting off the red cellophane used to create the red glow from the logs. Checking it at night, with all the lights off confirmed it. Just a thought...
Dave

Dave, color me dumb too! This was exactly the case. It's actually overcast here today and it is clear the system was off. Normally I have the interior lighting on when shutting the system down. Boy, do I feel stupid.

I did turn it on then cut power from the AC panel and that turned off the unit so that's a good thing.

However, the Main On/Off Switch (see Item E on page 11 of the user guide) does not turn the unit off and on. It seems to have no function at all. Everything else seems to work OK with the fireplace.

EDIT: The electrical connection to the fireplace must be inside the cabinet area. There is no connection visible outside the cabinetry. This FP is on a slideout and under the TV.

TXBobcat
12-31-2014, 02:40 PM
On my fireplace the right switch turns on the entire fireplace. Simulation of a log fire and the heater. There is also a knob that controls the speed of the flame simulator. On the left side is the control for the heat temperature and a toggle switch to turn off the heater but leave the log fire simulator working. Again the right toggle switch turns everything off.

FWIW
BC

TxCowboy
12-31-2014, 02:53 PM
On my unit, from left to right:

Rocker switch -- flame simulation on or off

Two round knobs -- one controls flame brightness and one controls flame speed

Large gap

Round knob -- Thermostat and blower on/off. Blower is off when turned fully counterclockwise and no heating is produced.

Rocker switch -- Is supposed to turn electrical power on and off to the unit. (Mine does nothing.)

pegmikef
12-31-2014, 03:07 PM
Dave, color me dumb too! This was exactly the case. It's actually overcast here today and it is clear the system was off. Normally I have the interior lighting on when shutting the system down. Boy, do I feel stupid.

I did turn it on then cut power from the AC panel and that turned off the unit so that's a good thing.

However, the Main On/Off Switch (see Item E on page 11 of the user guide) does not turn the unit off and on. It seems to have no function at all. Everything else seems to work OK with the fireplace.

EDIT: The electrical connection to the fireplace must be inside the cabinet area. There is no connection visible outside the cabinetry. This FP is on a slideout and under the TV.

Now it is sounding more like a faulty switch rather than the wiring from the breaker box since the breaker turns it on and off ok.

Mine just plugs into an outlet that is inside of an adjacent cabinet.

nomad45
12-31-2014, 03:21 PM
Really glad that worked out. That's the beauty of forums - getting all of us "dummies" together to sort things out.

My fireplace is just like yours. The rocker switch that powers the thermostat is on the right. It also appears not to work unless the thermostat is cranked up high enough to call for heat. On mine, if I set the switch to "Off", the thermostat knob will not turn on the heat. They are wired in "series" with the heater. Of course you still could have a faulty switch that is always "On".
Hope that helps.