When is windy, too windy?

Seren

Not sure if this is the right thread, but currently at the Mayport Naval Station Campground right on the water and was pretty windy after a cold front went through (25 mph gusts to 32 mph) and obviously in a RV you really notice it, which got me thinking. With slide toppers, satellite dish, and AC vents when should you pull in the slides or lower the dish to protect them? I know out west it can get a whole lot more windy, which is where we will be headed next spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

whp4262

I would look in the manual for your toppers and dish to see if it states a max wind speed. Other stuff that can't be folded or lowered can take wind speeds in excess of 60 mph when you are driving down the road so I wouldn't worry about 32 mph. It just gets noisy sometimes and rocks the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

The only time we ever pulled a slide in was at a rally in Oklahoma last Spring. I think winds were over 40 mph. Several others pulled their slides in as well.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We typically only put our awning out when we plan to use it . . . and roll it up when not in use or when we plan on leaving our camp site.

Last July 4th., while sitting under our awning on a perfectly calm day, the park ranger was driving around stopping at each site advising everyone to put their awnings and slide toppers away as the National Weather Service had just announced a severe wind WARNING for the area.

We sat under the awning for awhile and had guests arrive for our July 4th. picnic . . . and all was calm.

After everyone left about six hours after the ranger came by and as we cleaned, up I decided to roll up the awning and slide the coolers (beer and soda) under the trailer, then went inside and popped a movie into the BluRay player.

A few minutes into the movie it started to get a little windy . . . then all of a sudden a huge microburst blew through the campground, shaking the trailer violently for about five seconds!

After it was over, it was perfectly calm outside . . .

I paused the movie and went outside to look around . . .

Both of the coolers had been blown about 20 feet away from the trailer, and the lawn chairs that I had folded up were scattered about the area around our trailer.

Luckily, our pop-up gazebo that was tied down stayed in place.

Not one of my neighbors had put their awnings or slides in, and every single one of them in our loop (roughly 15 RV's) lost all of their slide toppers and awnings!

All ripped to shreds and the awning arms mangled . . .

Most of them were either large 5th-wheelers or monster motor homes!

They were all outside walking around blurting out expletives notoriously only shouted out by sailors! :eek:

The next morning I rolled our awning back out so we could sit under it . . . most of the rest of the RV's that had damage packed up early and left.

I was considering getting a slide topper on our trailer . . . until July 4th., 2014.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We typically only put our awning out when we plan to use it . . . and roll it up when not in use or when we plan on leaving our camp site.

Last July 4th., while sitting under our awning on a perfectly calm day, the park ranger was driving around stopping at each site advising everyone to put their awnings and slide toppers away as the National Weather Service had just announced a severe wind WARNING for the area.

We sat under the awning for awhile and had guests arrive for our July 4th. picnic . . . and all was calm.

After everyone left about six hours after the ranger came by and as we cleaned, up I decided to roll up the awning and slide the coolers (beer and soda) under the trailer, then went inside and popped a movie into the BluRay player.

A few minutes into the movie it started to get a little windy . . . then all of a sudden a huge microburst blew through the campground, shaking the trailer violently for about five seconds!

After it was over, it was perfectly calm outside . . .

I paused the movie and went outside to look around . . .

Both of the coolers had been blown about 20 feet away from the trailer, and the lawn chairs that I had folded up were scattered about the area around our trailer.

Luckily, our pop-up gazebo that was tied down stayed in place.

Not one of my neighbors had put their awnings or slides in, and every single one of them in our loop (roughly 15 RV's) lost all of their slide toppers and awnings!

All ripped to shreds and the awning arms mangled . . .

Most of them were either large 5th-wheelers or monster motor homes!

They were all outside walking around blurting out expletives notoriously only shouted out by sailors! :eek:

The next morning I rolled our awning back out so we could sit under it . . . most of the rest of the RV's that had damage packed up early and left.

I was considering getting a slide topper on our trailer . . . until July 4th., 2014.

What John said. We never leave our awning extended when we're not close by the camper. I've noticed it doesn't take much of a wind gust for it to flop around. A few times I've seen it take a leap toward the sky very unexpectedly and had visions like John just described. The folding arms on the awnings of today have too many pivot points compared to the manual ones of yester year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD

Five or so years ago with our old trailer (1978 Coachman Cadet 24) we had a wind incident.

We were camping up Poudre Canyon in the Rocky Mountains west of Ft. Collins, Colorado, and during the night a thunderstorm rolled through (3 a.m.) and the wind blasted us and woke us up!

It flapped the awning loose and rocked the trailer violently!

CampSite-P9030033.jpg TruckCamperGlewoodSprings-P1050162.jpg Campout-campsite-Dscf0069.jpg SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg

We ran outside and tried to roll up the awning in the pouring rain, which had already busted out the outside porch light!

We managed to get the awning rolled up, but both of us were soaked . . .

Luckily, the only thing we suffered from this was getting wet in the middle of the night . . . and the broken out porch light on the trailer.

We learned our lesson that night and only put our awning out when we are around to use it . . . and put it up when and if bad weather approaches!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We rarely leave our awning out when we leave the rig, as it only takes a second to tear it up.

I put my slides in when wind is around 60+ mph. Several times in the past few years in the Southern California desert, the winds have gotten as high as 80+ mph. At that point if I have shore water, I will fill my tanks as ballast.

On one occasion we were perpendicular to 90+ mph wind gusts for an entire day. I couldn't even move the rig to head into the wind. Had to keep our off-door slides in all day. At several points, I really thought we were going over. That was unnerving to say the least!

I used to complain about any average windy day, but not any more. Trace

Seren

Lots of good insight, actually not so good experiences, but lessons learned. Very windy conditions are something to watch out for in something that is not anywhere near as strong as a stick and brick Home. And no one yet mentioned driving in very windy conditions. Thanks for the input!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Lots of good insight, actually not so good experiences, but lessons learned. Very windy conditions are something to watch out for in something that is not anywhere near as strong as a stick and brick Home. And no one yet mentioned driving in very windy conditions. Thanks for the input!

Got caught in a weather front last spring when leaving Goodyear, AZ headed for Vegas most of which caught the BH broadside and will do whatever it takes NOT to experience that again! Also while west bound in KS fought through a head wind. The BH punches a big hole in the wind! Although the rig handled OK my speed was noticeably impeded and my fuel mileage for that tank was one of the worst I've ever had! Tail wind is money, great fuel mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Stayed on the Outer Banks and had to pull the bedroom slide in to sleep. The topper was just too noisy. On the coast in SC, we got caught in a tropical storm. Between the wind and the lightning, we pulled all the slides in and unplugged almost everything from tv's to microwave, etc. That was a real long night.

JohnD

We rarely leave our awning out when we leave the rig, as it only takes a second to tear it up.

I put my slides in when wind is around 60+ mph. Several times in the past few years in the Southern California desert, the winds have gotten as high as 80+ mph. At that point if I have shore water, I will fill my tanks as ballast.

On one occasion we were perpendicular to 90+ mph wind gusts for an entire day. I couldn't even move the rig to head into the wind. Had to keep our off-door slides in all day. At several points, I really thought we were going over. That was unnerving to say the least!

I used to complain about any average windy day, but not any more. Trace

A few years back, while pulling my old 1978 Coachman Cadet 24 travel trailer home I encountered a huge wind storm, and it unrolled the awning while I was on the highway!

I saw it in the side mirror while on the highway and managed to pull into a truck stop before it was too late!

I parked the truck-trailer so that the wind was blowing over the trailer, and managed to roll up the awning without incident!

Lesson learned . . . only put out the awning when you want to use it and leave it rolled up when you don't need it!

And slide out toppers . . . no way!

It is not that hard to run a broom to sweep out any tree debries . . .