Washing the RV upon delivery to the dealer

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Interesting news from another manufacturer, but may have some insight on why units are not being cleaned satisfactorily to remove corrosive materials:

Forest River ends policy of washing RVs on delivery

ELKHART — In a memo sent to RV dealers across the country yesterday, Forest River President Pete Liegl announced the company would no longer wash RVs before the units are delivered to RV dealers, RV Daily Report has learned.

“The RV industry continues to be challenged with getting units delivered in a timely manner through RV transport carriers at peak seasons of the year,” he wrote in the memo. “The solutions extend beyond just the RV transport carriers and more drivers, and include manufacturers and dealers.

“Drivers get paid for driving. The easier the delivery process is, the more time they spend on the road delivering units. Imagine if we could deliver 20 percent more units with the drivers we already have by simplifying the process.
“One of the largest issues drivers report is the wash requirement and wash fee:
• Drivers spend additional time on the road searching for adequate wash facilities.
• The proper equipment or facilities for an RV wash are frequently not available or are inadequate.
• Drivers report that dealer disputes relative to the quality of the wash job or the wash fee are common — delaying them from getting back on the road.

Drivers are tying up heavy equipment to serve as “wash bays.”

“Drivers should be driving. Accordingly, effective Aug. 8, Forest River will be discontinuing wash services and wash fees on all shipped units,” wrote Liegl. “With this policy change, each shipped unit will receive a $30 wash credit on the invoice.
“Additionally, Forest River will endeavor to establish a protocol to timely address any issues with drivers upon delivery of units in order that they are not unreasonably delayed for any single issue,” he added. Working together, we have always found solutions to challenges we have faced.”

Liegl also noted that some units have already shipped without the $30 credit. He instructed dealers to document those instances so the company can make up the short fall at a later date.
The decision is not sitting well with RV dealers, RV Daily Report has learned.
Not only does the $30 credit not cover the time to wash a unit, dealers don’t like the idea of investing even more time to make it ready to display.

The biggest problem dealers have with the policy is that the RVs could arrive so dirty that their staff could miss scratches, rock chips and other problems when checking in a dirty unit. As a result, potential warranty claims may be rejected because the issues were not caught and noted during the check in process, one dealer told RV Daily Report.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I would think that the dealership should be responsible for the wash and wax . . . not the delivery driver!

I'm sure this is how new car and truck dealers handle it.

donr827

When I was at a large dealer around a year ago I walked back to what they called the delivery area. Every new rv arrived there and was inspected for damage inside and out. Can't remember seeing any being delivered recently washed. All had dirt and some bugs. These were travel trailers and fifth wheels no high end motor homes.

Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JohnD, all new car dealers inspect vehicles when delivered for any damage. If there is any damage the driver has to sign off on these. If there is any unseen damage when the cars/trucks are cleaned up...that is also reported to the factory. Some times they pay...sometimes not. I know this because I did this for 10 years.

It has always been my understanding the HL pays the dealers clean and do a pre..delivery inspection before they hit the lot and the customer PDI is paid for by HL also. This article is about Forest River...not HL

RoadJunkie

I can sympathize with the searching for "adequate wash facilities". There are times when I want to wash my rig prior to arriving for an extended stay (a lot of CGs don't allow rig washing) and simply can't find a place with high bays of space to maneuver. Thus, I have to give up and sneak in a good bug washing or pay the on-site mobile washing services.

If I were a dealer I would wash the rig prior to accepting delivery, if the driver did not. Driver probably does a quick and dirty job of washing anyway; his focus is on driving.

As a Transport Driver myself, I am relieved that Forest River has taken the driver out of the business of paying the wash fee. Yes, the driver had to pay cash to the dealer, usually more than the $30.00 allowed and get reimbursed from the Transport Co. One time the RV Dealer had me take a unit to a Semi-Truck wash bay, I did as dealer asked and the pressure was so strong the operator screwed up some of the decals on unit. Also I had to overnight because dealer was closed before I could get back ( all at my expense ). JMHO, but the wash Fee with the driver involved was a Can of Worms.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
we are called DRIVERS not wash jockies. IS THAT TOUGH TO UNDERSTAND????????????????

Yes, stopping at Blue Beacon or a similar truck wash takes all of 15 minutes. I have done it many times myself. I tell them "soap only", "no chemicals" and they do a halfway decent job.

I find it hard to believe that can not be combined with a fuel or rest stop. That way the rig arrives clean and can be easily inspected upon arrival by the dealer. It seems this would speed up the receiving process on the back end.

A "DRIVER" delivered my factory ordered rig filthy, undercarriage already corroded and had also totally burned up my trailer brakes.

What is my point? Regardless of your perception, I would think the delivery person assumes some responsibility for the condition of the unit when it arrives at it's destination. After all, the driver probably signed off on condition when accepting the unit.

I know my incident was reported back to HL, because they paid to fix most of it under warranty.
Hopefully they investigated which "DRIVER" delivered it, to avoid any further problems. Trace

Last edited:

kkamshop

15 minutes to get into a blue beacon? I sit in line up to 2 hours sometimes jut to get to the wash bay.