shot gun

danemayer

Hi roadking5002,

Firearms law has gotten complicated and state laws are changing all the time. And sometimes your 5er will be regarded as your residence. Other times it may be treated as an extension of your tow vehicle.

Maybe some owners in firearm-unfriendly states can share what their state practices are.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good question.
But another question to come up is if you don't advertise there is a gun in your rig, who's to know but you?
If you haven't already, I suggest some classes along with obtaining a concealed permit or permits.

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

You can purchase a "Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States" at www.gunlawguide.com

I purchased it and it answers all my questions.

This was recommended by one of the instructors at my last CHG refresher class, but you have to buy it every year because the laws are always changing. This book is updated annually.

OEFVET

Does it provide information on long guns as well? I ask because the name is hand gun law.

iawoody2

Long guns are usually treated much different than hands guns. As Cookie said don't put a sign in the window saying gun on board. Just keep it somewhere handy and hidden.

MTPockets

Does it provide information on long guns as well? I ask because the name is hand gun law.
Check out the site; there are many references to Federal Laws "Transporting Firearms in RV" - which refers to all firearms. I believe you'll find the answers on the site.

TXTiger

Gun laws vary from state to state. As others have advised it is good to check resources like those mentioned. also the laws differ regarding a handgun and long guns such as rifles and shotguns. The Supream Court has ruled that you may have a firearm in your home without the need for a permit. If you are asking if you can have a weapon while you are unhitched and parked the answer is yes because that would be an extension of your home. If you are hitched up and moving down the road that may be a different situation. In most states as long as the weapon is not accessible to you while driving you should be ok.

GOTTOYS

How would anyone know? Without a search warrant they can't go in and look in the trailer....Don

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How would anyone know? Without a search warrant they can't go in and look in the trailer....Don

The search warrant requirement is not necessarily set in stone. There are exceptions to it. Once we towed the RV across the Hoover Dam. Prior to crossing we had to consent to a search of the RV. Even though I told the Officer I was retired LEO and I was carrying weapons he still went in the RV and looked around. He didn't open anything other than the closet I still had to consent if I wanted to continue my route.

danemayer

If your trailer is hitched to the tow vehicle, in some places it may be considered an extension of the tow vehicle. If the officer has probable cause to search your tow vehicle, he may also search the trailer.

Rangelady

Well another instance that shows we have lost many of our freedoms. These exceptions to laws for the good of all is where the downhill slide started. Not wanting to change topics, just wanted to say it.

Lynn1130

Unless the dope sniffing dog comes by during a traffic stop and you have some funny weed or something stronger in your trailer it is unlikely that the officer who stops you is going to want to search your trailer. There really is going to have to be something that makes him/her suspicious enough to want to search or call the dog for a run around the rig.

There is just too much to do and too much going on for an officer to randomly pick a trailer and search for a gun. Why would an officer just, out of the blue, decide to search for a gun in your trailer? The bottom line is that there was so much going on during a 12 hour shift that taking the time to search for a shotgun in some old man's trailer was out of the question.

No offense, I am 69 now so old fits me too. Put the gun in the rig and go on about your business. Don't worry about it.

TXTiger

An officer needs probable cause to stop a vehicle and may search the passenger compartment without the need for a warrant. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy in an aera surronded by glass. Any search of the non passenger aera like the trunk requires a search warrant or consent. If you do not consent and the officer has articulate facks to obtain a warrant for a further search he/she may impound the vehicle and search incident to the impound. The same would apply to your rig as your trunk. A dog sniff is not considered an unreasonable warrant less search since there is no entry and would give the officer sufficent facts for an impound and search if the dog alerts.

QUOTE=danemayer;398615]If your trailer is hitched to the tow vehicle, in some places it may be considered an extension of the tow vehicle. If the officer has probable cause to search your tow vehicle, he may also search the trailer.[/QUOTE]