ATF: Gateway - Battery Type

tmganger

We have a 2014 Gateway 3500RE with an electric refrigerator and a small inverter. Is the battery "wet" or "dry"? If it is wet, it appears that I have to remove both cables and several screws to remove the cover and gain access to the battery so that I can add water.

danemayer

Hi tmganger,

I believe all the batteries in Heartland trailers are "wet" and require water to be added from time to time.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My rig was delivered with Interstate batteries, which I guess technically are wet. However, they were labeled "maintenance free", indicating do not open.

They lasted about three years of constant use while full-timing.

I replaced them with series 27, 12v RV style wet batteries from Costco. Trace

Last edited:

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
My rig was delivered with Interstate batteries, which I guess technically are wet. However, the were labeled "maintenance free", indicating do not open. Trace

This is right from the Interstate website regarding maintenance free batteries.

"While Interstate’s automotive, commercial, and marine/RV batteries are considered maintenance-free products under normal operating conditions, extreme changes in temperature may require your battery be checked more frequently to make sure you're not left stranded."

I would make sure you check them every few months to be safe.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Fred,
Good info, but what I found is a little different.

"Interstate’s automotive and commercial starting and Marine/RV batteries are considered Maintenance-Free products under normal operating conditions. However, in the event of an extreme overheat/overcharge situation, the batteries may need to be checked for water loss."

I wasn't able to find anything indicating any maintenance is required under normal use. Trace

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I bet your battery is a "wet" type. Maintance free or not, I always check the water level every couple of months.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Fred,
Good info, but what I found is a little different.

"Interstate’s automotive and commercial starting and Marine/RV batteries are considered Maintenance-Free products under normal operating conditions. However, in the event of an extreme overheat/overcharge situation, the batteries may need to be checked for water loss."

I wasn't able to find anything indicating any maintenance is required under normal use. Trace

I have owned RVs and Boats and have had maintenance free batteries in all of them and in all cases I had to add water to them during the three to five years that they are good for. RVs are also notorious for batteries going from no use to extreme use and that too can have an effect on battery life.

jimpav

Just trying to get the battery cover off is cumbersome. Added to this is the fact that the battery cable is attached to the inside top cover. The only way to remove the top cover is to snake inside it and remove the cable from the terminal. My batteries are Exide, and upon checking with Exide, I found they are the "economy" series. I wonder about their longevity......