• Firestone Ride Rite

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Airlift

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
Trying to narrow down to one air bag choice for my TV.
We have a 2009 Ford F-350 Super Duty Dually and are planning on
pulling a minimum of a 38' fifth wheel. We are also still narrowing down
which hitch we will get. These are the two systems/manufacturers that I have narrowed it down to.
We are looking for ease of installation, ease of use (in cab remote), great customer service,
best ride, etc. Here is what we narrowed it down to:

1. Firestone Ride Rite
2. Airlift

Thanks for your opinion, we value it!

TxPatriot

jbeletti

I voted AirLift because that's what I have. I have not tried the Firestone Ride-rites but hear good things about them.

I have the wireless controller on my Air Lift system with both bags tied together on the same channel.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have the Firestone kit on my '12 F350 SRW short bed. No compressor but both bags T'd together. Only run 18-20 psi to help with the ride since the rig was nearly level without them when loaded. Installed them myself in my garage without any lift and took probably 2 hours or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
I voted AirLift because that's what I have. I have not tried the Firestone Ride-rites but hear good things about them.

I have the wireless controller on my Air Lift system with both bags tied together on the same channel.

How does that wireless system work for you? I was curious about that when I saw it. Any issues? Pretty convenient?

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
I have the Firestone kit on my '12 F350 SRW short bed. No compressor but both bags T'd together. Only run 18-20 psi to help with the ride since the rig was nearly level without them when loaded. Installed them myself in my garage without any lift and took probably 2 hours or so.

So you are just manually airing up when needed, correct? Where is the connection point for that on yours? Do you wish you would have gone with the compressor and maybe the remote in cab? Just curious. Thanks for the reply!

jbeletti

How does that wireless system work for you? I was curious about that when I saw it. Any issues? Pretty convenient?

It's amazing and in 3 years of use - zero issues with it. There's a frame mounted compressor and an air-dump valve, all controlled by the wireless controller. When I hitch up, I dial it up to 55 PSI. When I unhitch, I dial it back to 5 PSI. To me, it's worth having the Wireless Control.

The reason I tied both bags together to 1 channel is two-fold:
1. Seemed to make sense
2. I had planned to connect the 2nd channel to my TS3 Air Hitch, but never got around to plumbing it

Pizzadigger

I have the Airlift bags on my truck. Single fill valve. No problems . The Firestone bags are probably just as well made. I didn't install a compressor. I just fill manually.

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
It's amazing and in 3 years of use - zero issues with it. There's a frame mounted compressor and an air-dump valve, all controlled by the wireless controller. When I hitch up, I dial it up to 55 PSI. When I unhitch, I dial it back to 5 PSI. To me, it's worth having the Wireless Control.

The reason I tied both bags together to 1 channel is two-fold:
1. Seemed to make sense
2. I had planned to connect the 2nd channel to my TS3 Air Hitch, but never got around to plumbing it

Makes sense! Great info! Are there directions on how to program the two channels differently?

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I have the auto compressor/dump valve system and very satisfied with them. Puch button when loaded and auto air to set pressure and when done push another button and air dumps and resets to normal driving conditions preset.

jbeletti

Makes sense! Great info! Are there directions on how to program the two channels differently?

Probably - though I'm not good on reading directions :) My truck builder did my install at time of truck build. I believe Duane (Porthole) has done the 2-channel thing with one for his air hitch).

DocFather

I had Firestone bags on my last truck. Worked fine. I got a great deal on the Air Lift (Wireless remote) last summer when I got a new truck. It works fine too.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciate the info! Where is your fill valve located?
Another option is to have each air bag plumbed with separate fill valves.
You can remove the two screws and inserts that hold your rear license plate and replace them with the fill valves.
No holes to drill and the fill valves will be conveniently located.

Peace
Dave

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
So you are just manually airing up when needed, correct? Where is the connection point for that on yours? Do you wish you would have gone with the compressor and maybe the remote in cab? Just curious. Thanks for the reply!

Correct. I either use my air compressor or our bicycle pump since I only run about 20 psi and I fill both bags simultaneously it only takes a moment. When were unhooked I don't dump the air (5-10#) unless we're planning to stay for an extended period. I terminated my fill valve on the back bumper next to the license plate. I didn't see the need for a compressor. Once you establish a good psi for your rig it's set it and go. I'm not a big gadget guy so my setup works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AAdams

We had the Airlift with the wireless remote and on-board compressor on our GMC. I liked it when we disconnected I could dump the air from the air bags as I disconnected after then pin was out of the jaws but still on the plate. I don't know if I will add the system to the new truck (once we get it Thursday) since we are getting a TS3 hitch.

jbeletti

...I don't know if I will add the system to the new truck (once we get it Thursday) since we are getting a TS3 hitch.

I have the TS3 air hitch and I have the Air Lift bags on the truck. For my use case, I need to lift the truck back to as near level as possible after hitching up the RV. Late model Fords (mine is a 2012) "seem"* to squat quite a bit under load. Your GMC won't squat as much as my Ford.

*My truck bed (Classy Chassis RV hauler) weighs more than a standard bed, plus the 300# hitch plus tools, plus 60 gallons of diesel - I sit heavier than most stock Fords

Steadfast

We have the Airlift. We moved it to our new truck when we upgraded to new. The system is complete with the wireless remote and compressor. So far no problems at all except one weak battery in the remote (as you would expect). After a little programing, I have one button to push for 35 lbs when hooked up and one button for empty at 5 lbs. Both sides are isolated to prevent equalizing during a turn or other off balance situation.
Another benefit of the remote system is being able to experiment with ride "on the fly".

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
AirLift. Separate valves to each bag routed to the license plate. I mounted a 12v air compressor in the front storage area of the fifth wheel. When I back in and hitch up, I just open the storage compartment, pull out the hose right to the license plate and fill up to the desired pressure. Works great. Not as easy and as convenient as the onboard compressor but it only cost me $39.

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
AirLift. Separate valves to each bag routed to the license plate. I mounted a 12v air compressor in the front storage area of the fifth wheel. When I back in and hitch up, I just open the storage compartment, pull out the hose right to the license plate and fill up to the desired pressure. Works great. Not as easy and as convenient as the onboard compressor but it only cost me $39.

Great idea! Thanks for the input!