2015 Road Warrior RW 420

ICURV

Hello All, just found and joined this forum:
We have been researching and trying to do our homework with what I can find before we jump into a 5th wheel and truck. This will be our first time purchase. We like the new Road Warrior RW 420 layout. Our biggest like is the 60" tub/shower!!! The rear garage is nice for our child and the side deck is nice for us to enjoy at the end of the day. We will not use this rig as a toy hauler but rather as a regular RV.

So, will a Chevy diesel 3500 DRW pull and stop the Warrior fully loaded with all our stuff safely? any fivers with this combination or similar setup? Is the 3500 overkill or would a 1500 DRW be just fine? Thank you, William

jnbhobe

The 1 ton dually is more like the minimum truck you need, no such thing as a 1500 DRW unless some one home made one. Chevy, Ford, or Dodge dually is what you need.

danemayer

Hi ICURV,

A RW 420 has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs. You should also assume about 20% of that will sit on the hitch. So you need a truck that is rated to pull 20,000 lbs and that has a payload in the 5,000 lbs territory (4,000 lbs pin weight plus weight of hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, cargo, passengers and pets).

A late model 3500 DRW will put you into the right ballpark, but before buying, check the actual ratings on the label of the specific vehicle you're considering. Most online guides show the best possible ratings, with optimum configuration; not necessarily what you'd be buying.

A 1500 would be a terrible mistake.

You can get more information from Fifth Wheel Safe Towing.

OEFVET

We have been researching and trying to do our homework with what I can find before we jump into a 5th wheel and truck. This will be our first time purchase. We like the new Road Warrior RW 420 layout. Our biggest like is the 60" tub/shower!!! The rear garage is nice for our child and the side deck is nice for us to enjoy at the end of the day. We will not use this rig as a toy hauler but rather as a regular RV.

So, will a Chevy diesel 3500 DRW pull and stop the Warrior fully loaded with all our stuff safely? any fivers with this combination or similar setup? Is the 3500 overkill or would a 1500 DRW be just fine? Thank you, William

We have the Cyclone 4200 (20,000lbs). It is the same floor plan as your Road Warrior. Our tow vehicle is a 2015 GMC 3500HD. You will need a DRW and I would recommend an 8' box, crew cab and diesel as well. The new trucks come with integrated trailer brakes which is very nice.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As posted earlier, a 2015 3500 DRW Chevy/GMC truck will do the job. They are rated at 23500# for a 5er. You have use the GVW of any 5er (20K) when selecting a truck. I love my truck (see sig) pulls and stops great and you will love the exhaust brake feature.

ICURV

Thank you for your reply!

Thank you all for your help! It sounds like a 450 or 550 is the sweet spot for the RW 420. May start looking for a lighter Heartland RV for a 350 Diesel DRW. Not really wanting to spend $80,000+ on a new 450/550. William

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Everyone responding seems to agree that a 3500 (1 Ton) Dually will do the job. You don't need a 450/550.

OEFVET

What type of truck do you have? If you have a diesel with DRW it must be a 1 ton, as danemayer said, you will be able to tow this toy hauler.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader

A one ton DRW from Chevy, Ford or RAM will tow this trailer. If you are getting the RAM 3500 DRW then make sure you get the AISIN Transmission with the built in brake controller and exhaust brake.

ICURV

Love this forum already!!! thank you all again, here's how I'm seeing my future rig, I'll be going all over the Country, Wilderness, Dessert, Mountains, etc... this will not be just 2 or 3 week vacation/camping trips. So I'm wanting to enjoy my rig without as much trouble and regret. I don't want to worry about getting stuck somewhere, but I'm not going to muddy, swampy or beach camping either. If I get caught in a rain or snow storm I want a lot of confidence in the rig to take us to a safe stop. The RW 420 and a 350 Diesel DRW seems on the upper limits for capacity as posts have said (we have a lot of stuff). I don't want a truck bigger than a 350, so I'm going to start researching again with Truck in mind first and look for a fiver around 10,000 to 15,000 lbs. GVWR. You all have been so helpful : ) Be back here soon......

kjm1970

I just purchased a RW420 and have a new 14 F250 SRW Short Bed 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel that I will tow with, however I also purchased an Automated Safety Hitch which I will be picking up right before I take delivery of the new rig. I have researched it for almost a year and even visited the factory. Trading my new truck that was north of 70k to get a DRW that drives like a bread truck was not attractive to me. This hitch can change the way we tow our rigs. The stability (I test drove with a 11000lb gooseneck) and increased braking had me sold immediately. I can now tow up to 30000lbs with my truck. I'll take pictures and post when I take delivery.

danemayer

I just purchased a RW420 and have a new 14 F250 SRW Short Bed 6.7 Power Stroke Diesel that I will tow with, however I also purchased an Automated Safety Hitch which I will be picking up right before I take delivery of the new rig. I have researched it for almost a year and even visited the factory. Trading my new truck that was north of 70k to get a DRW that drives like a bread truck was not attractive to me. This hitch can change the way we tow our rigs. The stability (I test drove with a 11000lb gooseneck) and increased braking had me sold immediately. I can now tow up to 30000lbs with my truck. I'll take pictures and post when I take delivery.

A RW 420 has a GVWR of 20,000 lbs, so you should plan on a pin weight of around 4,000 lbs plus another 500-1000 bls of stuff, people, pets, in your truck. Most F250s have a payload of 2000-2500 lbs.

Have you done anything to increase the payload of your F250?

kjm1970

All weight is taken OFF of the tow vehicle and goes to the Automated Safety Hitch (it's technically a drop axle). The pin weight max is 6300lbs for the hitch. Therefore my 10000lb gvw does not get compromised as all weight goes onto the hitch

danemayer

The name didn't register with me, but this is the device that Dave Gray has posted about a few times and mentions on Fifth Wheel Safe Tow.

kjm1970, I think you may be the first Heartland owner to try this out. Please circle back around in a few months to let us know how it works out.

kjm1970

Will do. I'm picking up hitch in Sanger TX and the rig in Alvarado TX and driving back to NY. I'll report back to you guys!

kjm1970

Picked my new rig with the safety hitch. Gotta say, it's really nice to pull with. Brakes are great, steady. Takes getting used to but I'm super happy I got it. uploadfromtaptalk1430622604752.jpeguploadfromtaptalk1430622614427.jpg

Bones

Picked my new rig with the safety hitch. Gotta say, it's really nice to pull with. Brakes are great, steady. Takes getting used to but I'm super happy I got it. View attachment 36639View attachment 36640

This is really cool but you have still exceeded your towing capacity by quite some sum. That trailer is 20k right and I think your truck is rated to pull under that. I understand you have removed the pin weight issue but what happens when your truck brakes heat up because the trailer brakes have failed and your trying to stop a load higher than your rated for pulling?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
This is really cool but you have still exceeded your towing capacity by quite some sum. That trailer is 20k right and I think your truck is rated to pull under that. I understand you have removed the pin weight issue but what happens when your truck brakes heat up because the trailer brakes have failed and your trying to stop a load higher than your rated for pulling?

The safety hitch has its own disc brake system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk