Valence Fell Off

stevenssr

Has anyone experienced a valence falling off or coming lose? Got back from a recent 100 mile trip and the big valance (about 9 or 10' long) over the big windows had fallen off and was laying across the furniture. I looked and that big valence only had two little screws holding it up there and there were pulled out of the wall. Movement probably worked the screws lose and weight/gravity eventually took over. At least the valence didn't break apart when it fell. I'll get it back up there. I bought four more elbows to add to the original two (original elbow shown below). There is no way two was enough to support this big valence. During warranty I've had other valence issues fixed (coming lose from the wall). Just curious if I'm the only one.

IMG_0091.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the exception of the one over the desk, I've removed and rebuilt all of the valences. Also got rid of the (expletive) Day/Night shades in all but the desk and bedroom and replaced them with Levelor vertical blinds. In doing so, I eliminated the side valences, or lambroquins, which fell apart simply by looking at them in a mean fashion.

In rebuilding the valences, I used the fabric from the originals to cover the new ones.

stevenssr

With the exception of the one over the desk, I've removed and rebuilt all of the valences. Also got rid of the (expletive) Day/Night shades in all but the desk and bedroom and replaced them with Levelor vertical blinds. In doing so, I eliminated the side valences, or lambroquins, which fell apart simply by looking at them in a mean fashion.

In rebuilding the valences, I used the fabric from the originals to cover the new ones.

There's a good idea. It may be time to go a different route with these things. The side valence's are the worst. At least a couple of them have come lose and have swung out from the wall at the bottom. I think it's time to try something different.

GOTTOYS

Real quality???...Don

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
On the other hand, my side valances have been no problem at all. The back balance did drop after a particularly brutal trip thru Ark and OK in 2013, but it was easy to put it back up. You should put a remote camera inside the RV to see the stress these rolling earthquakes endure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiremanBill

On the other hand, my side valances have been no problem at all. The back balance did drop after a particularly brutal trip thru Ark and OK in 2013, but it was easy to put it back up. You should put a remote camera inside the RV to see the stress these rolling earthquakes endure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I want to know...

wdk450

I have had the rear valence off several times for repairs/replacement of the day/night shade. I reinforced the valence wood construction with small steel corner brackets at the top corners, and added them in at the lower ends attachment points.
metal corner bracket.jpg

BTW, I have found that the metal screw-in anchors work well in the thin wallboard used in the interior of the trailers. I even used one on the steps handrail near the bathroom, and it seems to be holding very well. with no loosening. I used these several years ago when my 4 foot high countertop cabinet came loose from the wall, and it is still firmly in place. These are a little pricey as anchors go, but seem to do the job. Here is a pic:
metal wall anchor.jpg

stevenssr

I have had the rear valence off several times for repairs/replacement of the day/night shade. I reinforced the valence wood construction with small steel corner brackets at the top corners, and added them in at the lower ends attachment points.
View attachment 33894

BTW, I have found that the metal screw-in anchors work well in the thin wallboard used in the interior of the trailers. I even used one on the steps handrail near the bathroom, and it seems to be holding very well. with no loosening. I used these several years ago when my 4 foot high countertop cabinet came loose from the wall, and it is still firmly in place. These are a little pricey as anchors go, but seem to do the job. Here is a pic:
View attachment 33893

Any problem with the depth of these anchors in RV walls? I'm a little concerned about these penetrating out the other side or using them on the outer walls around the window. I've used these in other applications and they do work good though.

wdk450

Any problem with the depth of these anchors in RV walls? I'm a little concerned about these penetrating out the other side or using them on the outer walls around the window. I've used these in other applications and they do work good though.

So far I haven't noticed any penetration problems with the wall anchors, although I was leery of that and the big hole they make in the wall. I try to use the shortest ones I can find. If they work right, then I don't anticipate exposing the anchor hole, so that is no problem either.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also have had falling valances and used the corner brackets to put them back up. Didn't have any problems after that.