Still need a generator?

ICURV

Hello, Newbie researching Road Warriors, really like the floor plans the garage and porch with the 60" tub/shower! The RW 420 comes with a 5500w LP generator. Is that really needed if I install 12v TV's and 12v appliances with a large deep cycle battery bank and solar panels. I believe the fridge works on LP and the stove. I would use the air conditioners only when hooked to shore power. William

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
If you are going to boondock then I would go with a generator. If you are going to go to RV parks then not really needed. Also you might just get a portable generator like a 2,000 watt one. That will run all your TVs and they only weight 50 pounds. If you get the second generator you can link them together and get 4,000 watts. Enough power to even run at least one AC with your TVs. Honda makes their 2000i and 2000i companion and you can buy them online for around $2,000 for both.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Fridge and furnace still need 12v to operate. The furnace running often can run batteries down quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
As folks are saying, lots of "It depends" involved in the answer to your question.
We use our Cyclone to haul antique engines and a golf cart to shows which are frequently held at fairgrounds. Sometimes we have 30amp and sometimes we have 20amp hookup.
The generator was most appreciated when we were contending with 100+ degree afternoons with a 30amp hookup. One AC unit was struggling and the generator allowed us to run the second AC.
If you opt in for a generator I would recommend a gas model (thinking that should be available on a toy hauler with fueling station) as it doesn't use as much fuel as LP and the convenience of refilling vs LP.