Microwave fire

Gaffer

Hot Point brand. Placed an all natural beef frank (Trader Joes) on a paper towel. Set the timer for 1 minute. Hit stop before it timed out and when I opened the door, the paper towel flamed up. Any Ideas?
Karol

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Paper does not absorb microwaves that are generated by the oven and should only get warm at best. Also the hotdog is full of moisture so it cannot catch on fire. Is this a convection / microwave? It is very possible if you were in convection mode that it could get hot enough to set the paper on fire.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Hot Point brand. Placed an all natural beef frank (Trader Joes) on a paper towel. Set the timer for 1 minute. Hit stop before it timed out and when I opened the door, the paper towel flamed up. Any Ideas?
Karol
PJ.....that is weird. The other day their was talk on the news that some brand of paper towels had some metal in them. What we do at home and in the RV we use a plastic bowl and plastic cover and never had a problem.

It could be the paper...don't know for sure.

marvmarcy

PJ.....What we do at home and in the RV we use a plastic bowl and plastic cover and never had a problem....

I recommend you use only glass or ceramic type bowls/plates. Plastics often contain toxins that are released into the food with heat. For example, BPAs are found in many plastics including even the white liners in cans.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I recommend you use only glass or ceramic type bowls/plates. Plastics often contain toxins that are released into the food with heat. For example, BPAs are found in many plastics including even the white liners in cans.

If it isn't marked as microwave safe, you should not stick it in there.