RV insurance

Who do you guys use for insurance on your fifth wheel. What is a normal price for a brand new 5th wheel for 12 months?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have Progressive Insurance after some extensive shopping.
I think it varies from state to state, but we are paying $434 per year (full coverage) for our BH3670RL, which is currently registered in Utah. Trace

Dean-Pam

We went with Good Sam and pay 336 year for full coverage...We switched from our primary insurance due to they were charging over 600 year.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We went with Good Sam because of there "Storage" feature. Not being retired yet the rig spends most of the winter in storage but it only takes a phone call to have complete coverage reinstated. Saves a sizable amount of $$.

MTPockets

Full timer insurance is different than coverage for those who own a home. I don't know all the details, but there are certain things covered by your home owners policy even though you're travelling. If you are full time without homeowners policy, I suggest you look into full timer coverage.

Lou_and_Bette

We are full-timers and there is a difference and not all insurance companies will write for this status. 3 companies I know do write insurance for full-timers is Good Sam through National General, Blue Sky insurance agency through various companies, and Miller Insurance agency through various carriers.

HornedToad

The Personal Auto Policy automatically extends the vehicle liability from the pulling unit to a trailer for liability arising out of an auto accident. The additional cost to add a trailer to your auto policy is for the Comprehensive and Collision to cover damage to the trailer.

The Comprehensive Personal Liability on your homeowners policy includes premises liability and no fault guest medical coverage that also cover acts of the insured, family members & pets arising away from the premises.

If while backing your trailer you drive over another parties foot, that is an auto accident covered by your auto policy. When you unhook your auto liability stops.

While setting up if you lower your jacks breaking another parties foot, your homeowners would pay their medical expenses up to a limit of several thousand dollars without regard to fault. If they sustained serious injuries resulting from your negligence then your homeowners liability limit of up to several hundred thousand would apply. If while hiking you or a family member cause a rock slide breaking someone's foot on the trail below or if your dog ran through the campground and bit someone on the foot, your homeowners coverage would apply.

As MT said...
It is important that if you do not have a homeowners policy, to insure your trailer under a full timers policy with coverage for Comprehensive Personal Liability. Instead of just adding it to your auto policy that will only cover liability from an auto accident.

cdensomnia

Nationwide gave me a quote for 827 for the year for my cyclone 4200. We are not full timing. The coverage was for 250k individual liability 500k total. Replacement value and total replacement coverage on all 3 awnings. It also has roadside assistance.

Cjackg

My 2015 Cyclone 3110 (registered in Tennessee) was added to my AUTO-OWNERS automobile policy and is $278. a year for full coverage but with $1,000. deductibles.

I have been with AUTO-OWNERS for years and find they are always very competitive and give seniors generous discounts.

Last edited:

Paul & Nan

Be careful of Good Sam Ins=they give a good rate until you have a claim, the the rate goes sky high. We blew a tire under them, were told our rate would not go up-------guess what. Well, we no longer insure with them.

cdensomnia

@Hpripstein i have also been quoted in the 780 to 800 for coverage on a new cyclone 4200. I think its the replacement cost making the rate higher than most. I checked with bith nationwide and geico. Pretty much the same coverage across the board.

DocFather

2014 Cyclone 4100 is not much different in replacement cost than a 4200. Farm Bureau is just under 500 for full coverage. But there are multi-vehicle and multi-line discounts deducted.

cdensomnia

Yes. However yours is one year older which may make up the difference plus the liability coverages might be different. I checked with Good Sam also and it was around 800. I still think this is high but comparing the 3 different insurance companies and they are all very close.

pegmikef

I may be paying too much, but mine runs 800 dollars (400 every six months) with all the discounts with Farmers. I stick with them though because they replaced the roof on my North Trail without a squawk and it only took one phone call and emailing pictures of the damage. Had the check before I even got an estimate with the proviso that if it was more they would cover it. I think it would be cheaper if I raised my deductible (250) or lived in a different state, but I am happy and budget for it accordingly.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have Progressive, and we've been really happy with them, going on 5 years. Handled a claim (slow speed pole encounter) and a second (storm damage) without a hitch. Used roadside assistance a few times.

You can get a quote online, or with assistance through chat online. I've been pleased with their online service.

With our temporary housing change, (using the rv as a temporary residence for more than 6 mo) we had to add some "fulltimer" coverage, so now I think ours is a little high. I may shop around.