Solar Port Standard

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
While looking at RV's to decide which one to get, we looked at Grand Design Solitude. I noticed an extra port on the newer model, on the front near where the generator goes. It was a solar port, pre-wired. You can buy a proprietary cord with the correct plug on it, and attach it to solar panels and plug it in to charge the batteries. It has a charge controller as well. Looks like Forrest River is putting them on as well....pre wired for solar. Wonder if Heartland is looking into that feature?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I put my own solar controller in the forward compartment next to the hydraulics. Very easy to do, just hard wired it to the battery bank with 6 guage wire. Took about 30 minutes. Trace

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
While looking at RV's to decide which one to get, we looked at Grand Design Solitude. I noticed an extra port on the newer model, on the front near where the generator goes. It was a solar port, pre-wired. You can buy a proprietary cord with the correct plug on it, and attach it to solar panels and plug it in to charge the batteries. It has a charge controller as well. Looks like Forrest River is putting them on as well....pre wired for solar. Wonder if Heartland is looking into that feature?

While at an electronics seminar I attended recently, it was disclosed that Forest River products are being prepped to accept Zamp solar products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OEFVET

My Cyclone has a plug on the passenger front side. When I asked about it I was told it was for solar panels. I don't know if it is already hard wired inside as well but now I will look into it.

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
My Cyclone has a plug on the passenger front side. When I asked about it I was told it was for solar panels. I don't know if it is already hard wired inside as well but now I will look into it.

I believe the salesman told us it was pre wired on the one we were looking at.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
As I said, this would not be a make or break for me to get the rig I wanted.
Solar is a very, very easy install. At least it was on my BH. I fished the cable from roof mounted panels along sewer riser to W/D and down to storage area for batteries. Controller is currently mounted there, although I plan to move it to the control panel cabinet inside the rig at some point. Trace

Last edited:

caissiel

I have seen some units that makes it very hard to run extra wires for solar. Also very hard to keep the run short and practical. Wound not be to expensive to run 00 cables down to the basement for solar. Its much easier to run to batteries. Also a cat 2 wire to interior wire cabinet would be nice for remote gauge setup.
Solar panels should come with the residential fridge option anyway. If not the panels at least the wiring.