Normal Full Timer Propane Usage

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
So being new to the RV world, I am trying to work a budget for full time living. I have a couple of questions.

1. What does it cost these days (I am in SE Texas) to fill a single 30lb Propane cylinder?

2. What is a realistic number that I need to look at for full time RV living when it comes to propane usage (ball park figure)? It will be me and my wife. Cooking, and the heater correct?
We are in SE Texas, and are warm the majority of the year, so the rest would be cooking.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Tundra2084

I guess it would all depend on IF you were going to be using propane for your hot water, IF you were going to use you fireplace for heat (if you have one that is), IF the temperature stays warm, If you use the microwave or stove to heat things up, ect.
To be honest it's hard to say how much you will realistically use because everyone is different. One year while in Florida we used SIX 30 lb tanks of propane and used an electric heater as well for the 7 weeks we were there due to extreme cold weather. The next year we only used 2 tanks for the 8 weeks we were there because it was warmer.
My sister uses more propane for cooking than we do because she cooks in her oven and uses her stove top, where as I cook more in my crockpot and use my portable electric induction cooktop and hubby like to BBQ.
So as you can see its hard to really say how much you will use, until you figure out how you will live in your unit. I am sure you will get better answers than I gave you from those who full time.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Cost to fill a 30# tank? Depends on per gallon cost like gasoline. 30# tanks holds 7 ga. / Now paying $2.30 a gallon... so 7 X 2.30 = $16.10 plus tax.

Usage will depend on whether you have FHUs or boondocking and what the whether is like. We averaged $20 a week for the previous year with about half boondocking and half FHUs and quite a bit of cool weather and some COLD!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In North Central Tx this winter, we are paying $22 to fill a 30# tank. We have an ElkRidge, which has less insulating features than the "full-time warranted" units. We use propane for cooking (rarely), mostly for heat, but not for water heater. With temps in the 20s and 30s, we can go through a 30# bottle in about 3 days. But then with temps milder, it might last a month or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAdams

We are in Rockport TX now. We are paying 23.10 to 28.00 for a 30# tank to be refilled. We have our grill hooked up to run of the 30# tanks. We use 3 - 4 tanks a month and use propane to cook (some), grill (several times a month), and heat. We use electric for the water heater ( propane too on the rare occasion we need it to heat water quickly ). We heat to 73 during the day and 69 at night. Depending on the insulation of the unit you get, single or dual pane windows and how warm you both are comfortable at.

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
We are in Rockport TX now. We are paying 23.10 to 28.00 for a 30# tank to be refilled. We have our grill hooked up to run of the 30# tanks. We use 3 - 4 tanks a month and use propane to cook (some), grill (several times a month), and heat. We use electric for the water heater ( propane too on the rare occasion we need it to heat water quickly ). We heat to 73 during the day and 69 at night. Depending on the insulation of the unit you get, single or dual pane windows and how warm you both are comfortable at.

Very helpful info! Thanks so much!

MTPockets

We've been here in Tucson since Nov 1st. We had about 10 nights with temps about 29 and used propane for heat. We also use elec heater to supplement and we pay for electric which is metered. We use stove top almost everyday but elec for water heater. We used two 30lb tanks at $22 ea and elec was $67 in Nov and $82 in Dec.

OEFVET

Another option for budgeting is to get a larger tank. Many full timers get them if you will be in one place for the season.

JanAndBill

With temperatures in the 30's a 30# tank will last a little over a week depending on wind, using supplemtal electric heat. When the temperatures drop to the mid to low teens it drops to a little over three days.

danemayer

Leave some room in your budget for price fluctuations.

In January 2013, bulk propane refills for 100 Gallon Tanks was around $1.60 / gallon. In January 2014, prices rose to between $3.50 and $5.00 /gallon (due to pipeline problems and extremely cold weather in many parts of the country). In January 2015, the price is back down to $1.68 /gallon.

Filling 30# tanks, the price is generally going to be about 2X the bulk price. But some stations have long-term contracts with their suppliers that smooth out the pricing. Pays to check around.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am getting it at the park price here where we stay do to some things I help owner with so a 30 pound cylinder costs me $16 and change. Previous owner charged $1 a pound no matter if it was half full or not.

Pizzadigger

Its been cold here in central VA.. we used a 100 lb tank in the last 8 days. Cost us about $54 to have it filled. When the temp goes up we use a lot less but we have been having single digit temps in the morning .....

Oregon_Camper

Fridge use is about 1.5 pounds per day.

Furnace use is about 1.5 pounds per hour, it does not matter what temperature it is set on it matters how long it runs.

Water Heater is about .5 pounds per hour.

Stove/oven not sure but it is in the range of .25 pounds per hour

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Its been cold here in central VA.. we used a 100 lb tank in the last 8 days. Cost us about $54 to have it filled. When the temp goes up we use a lot less but we have been having single digit temps in the morning .....

Hey Pizzadigger, what càmpground are you at? We're looking for recommendations on a few places to spend a few months at this summer or next. Famiar with Fredericksburg KOA and Ashland Americamp. Not so much others in the central part of the state.

Oregon_Camper

What about using space heaters and using the electricity from the campground vs. propane?

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
We've been here in Tucson since Nov 1st. We had about 10 nights with temps about 29 and used propane for heat. We also use elec heater to supplement and we pay for electric which is metered. We use stove top almost everyday but elec for water heater. We used two 30lb tanks at $22 ea and elec was $67 in Nov and $82 in Dec.

Great info, thanks!

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
Another option for budgeting is to get a larger tank. Many full timers get them if you will be in one place for the season.

I still work a full time job, so we will pick a park close to where I work and use it as a home base (monthly). I work a DuPont schedule, which affords me 7 days off in a row at the end of every hitch, so we plan on doing some traveling during that time. We will pay the monthly fee regardless so we can save some money, and we will have the same spot to come back to and not have to worry about that.

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
With temperatures in the 30's a 30# tank will last a little over a week depending on wind, using supplemtal electric heat. When the temperatures drop to the mid to low teens it drops to a little over three days.

Great baseline to go by. Thanks.

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
Leave some room in your budget for price fluctuations.

In January 2013, bulk propane refills for 100 Gallon Tanks was around $1.60 / gallon. In January 2014, prices rose to between $3.50 and $5.00 /gallon (due to pipeline problems and extremely cold weather in many parts of the country). In January 2015, the price is back down to $1.68 /gallon.

Filling 30# tanks, the price is generally going to be about 2X the bulk price. But some stations have long-term contracts with their suppliers that smooth out the pricing. Pays to check around.

We will keep that in mind and look around at the prices. Thanks!!