Rocking

mobilcastle

I have a rocking motion (porposing) that I feel in the truck when I tow that I want to get rid of or minimize. I moved my hitch up closer to my cab (should put more weight on the front axle) and I am thinking about changing shocks. I am looking at Bilsteins 4600 and Rancho 9000 adjustable. I have a Mor/Ryde pin box. This seems to be different than chucking. My shocks are factory. What shocks do you use-do you think the shock change will help.? Any other ideas I am all ears. I have weighed on the cat scale and neither truck axle is overloaded.
Thanks
Steve

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have almost the same set up as you (sans the dual panes and 2nd AC). When I replaced the OEM pinbox with the 5th Airborne, I did notice some porpoising, but after lowering the hitch one level, it was gone. I had the pin switched out at the dealer, but they didn't have the truck to check if it rode level and it was actually a little nose high. Is your rig riding level.

My truck shocks are OEM, but I did replace the bounce bumpers with Timbrens, so that may also be taking some of the motion out.

hoefler

Where is the hitch in relation to the rear axle? The center of the hitch needs to be forward of center of axle, as much as 4" depending on load, wheel base, etc...

mobilcastle

Hoefler
My best measurement would be 3 to 4" ahead of the axle now that I moved it-it is a difficult measurement since the hitch post slides down into a turnover ball mount and the hitch is offset to the mount. I moved it as far forward as possible.

John,
The nose is slightly down. I will lower the kingpin one notch which will raise the nose and see how it goes-good call.

Thanks for the suggestions.

jeffdee

I have a rocking motion (porposing) that I feel in the truck when I tow that I want to get rid of or minimize. I moved my hitch up closer to my cab (should put more weight on the front axle) and I am thinking about changing shocks. I am looking at Bilsteins 4600 and Rancho 9000 adjustable. I have a Mor/Ryde pin box. This seems to be different than chucking. My shocks are factory. What shocks do you use-do you think the shock change will help.? Any other ideas I am all ears. I have weighed on the cat scale and neither truck axle is overloaded.
Thanks
Steve

I put a set of Firestone air bags on my 2010 F250 SRW and set them at 25 psi each to stop the "porposing". It also helped to level the rig. I was pulling a Cyclone 3110. I just bought an 2015 F350 DRW to get more stability when pulling. I will be making our first trip with the new truck in 1 week. I shouldn't have to put air bags on it because the truck has high capacity towing and FX/4 suspension. I'll let you know how it towed when I get back.

mobilcastle

Thanks for the answers. I dropped the pin box down a notch along with mowing the hitch forward. I will roll out of FL March 1st and see how it goes. Safe travels.