Dimplex Electric Fireplace Will Not Heat

Ornofrk

I have a 2011 Big Horn 3670 RL with a Dimplex Electric Fireplace. Last year, the fireplace would come on, then turn itself off after putting out heat for about five minutes. I called the Dimplex factory and they told me that the heater assembly was probably overheating and the cutoff switch is shutting it down. They suggested that I try to blow compressed air into the vents to get dust that had possibly accumulated on the heating assembly fins. This could cause the fireplace to shut down. If that did not work, I would have to replace the entire heating assembly. They said that the cutoff switch is built in and that it alone could not be replaced! They will ship me the heating assembly for $149. I tried blowing it out with compressed air and that did not work. I will have to replace the heating assembly.

I need to know how to get the fireplace trim off so that I can remove the screws that hold the metal frame in the RV? I cannot see any nails, screws, brads or anything that holds the trim to the fireplace cabinet? It looks like it might be glued to the cabinet! Do I just try to pry the trim off? It looks fragile and I am worried that I will destroy the trim if I attempt to pry it off. Has anyone else tried to get their fireplace out of the cabinet? I downloaded Dimplex's service manual and it looks fairly simple to replace the heating assembly once I get the fireplace out of the cabinet. However, their manual is primarily for fireplaces installed in houses and they don't address how to remove one from an RV.

Jerry O.
2011 Big Horn 3670 RL

pegmikef

I don't know about the trim because I have the RE and it is bordered by the false (foam) bricks. On mine, there are no screws holding it in because it actually is hung on screws in the wood backing. The kind where there are keyhole shaped holes on the back and it is placed on the protruding screws in the wide part of the holes and then slid down so it is on the narrow part of the hole. It is quite secure. I had to cut and remove the foam across the top and then was able to lift the fireplace and pull it forward. Came right out. I don't know if yours works the same way once you remove the trim.

jnbhobe

When you do get it out, check for a bad solder connection I have found a few bad ones that way. If your 11 is like my 09 you have to pull the plugs like iowaone said then remove the screws and gently pry off the trim.

Speedy

The wood trim is held on by four to six headless brads/nails and the brown caulk. Use a wide putty knife to protect the wood and a thin pry bar and pry the wood frame from the cabinet. Because I have to clean my fireplace quite often I use 3M Velcro Command strips to hold it on.

You should be able to vacuum out the vents on he bottom and test while it is out of the cabinet.

aatauses

We have a 2010, so thinking our fireplace front is the same as yours. You can use a thin putty knife to GENTLY pry off the front. You should tape the knife to not damage the finish. You will find several small pin nails holding the front and will probably leave the nails in place and pull the front off. We need to do this to clean ours--somewhat of a pain. After you remove the front you will be able to pull out the unit, however I would reclean it again after the front is off and see it that fixes your issue--also since the front is off check all your bulbs.
al
currently in crystal River, FL