short life as a Big Horn owner

krisbc1

My wife and I took possession of our 2015 Big Horn 3750FL on Friday 1/2/15, on our way home from Fla to NY we ran into black ice in PA. to make long story short jack knifed on rt 15 just north of Williamsport, PA on roads that PA neglected to put any attention to, we did a 360 jack knifed and ended up across Rt 15 (soon to be interstate 99), we lost our lights on the trailer when jack knifed. Sat across the highway with just truck lights on and dark trailer, to make worse we took a tractor trailer broad side in the trailer. Now we have a totaled tow vehical and a totaled trailer....THANK YOU PA DOT, For taking care of your highway...I really like the $140,000.00 damage your road work did!

We had an enjoyable vaca to fla.

danemayer

Hi krisbc1,

I'm so sorry to hear about your disaster. Here's hoping you can put things back together quickly in a new coach.

dbbls59

Thank god for insurance. All material things can be replaced, just be glad you are OK and able to write about it.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Wow, what an ordeal! Hope you are both okay. We pay a lot of money for insurance, so get a new truck and trailer and start over.

Westwind

Talk about a nightmare! Fortunately last year we towed in an Ice Storm but the NJ Turnpike was sanding and salting so I was a little too confident in hindsight. Don't think I want to do that again.

pegmikef

I am glad you two are alright and survived that catastrophic accident. Unfortunately, I know that road very well from my days at Ft. Meade, and later as a contractor working in Virginia. My folks lived in Rochester, NY and we made many trips back and forth and that stretch of road wasn't great back then so I can imagine it is much worse now with increased traffic and neglect. Good luck and we all hope you come out of this ok and get back to RVing.

krisbc1

I would like to thank everybody for their concern and their thoughts then our accident, but I believe my wife and I will be out of trailer and that was to be our summer home and that kind of money I cannot lay out again. Thank you once again for your thoughts

whp4262

I would like to thank everybody for their concern and their thoughts then our accident, but I believe my wife and I will be out of trailer and that was to be our summer home and that kind of money I cannot lay out again. Thank you once again for your thoughts

If you didn't have insurance on the trailer at the time of the accident I would do some research anyway. Because it was a new purchase it may have been covered under your existing policy. My insurance company covers me for a short time for new purchases even though I don't have a specific policy for the purchased item. Also your tow vehicle insurance might cover something you are towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Confusing. In Michigan, you don't drive anything off the lot without proof of insurance being provided to the dealer.

danemayer

In Texas, the auto policy covers liability risks for the tow vehicle and the towed vehicle. Separate collision and comprehensive coverage on the trailer would be required by a lender, if there is one. If you pay cash, you can opt to self-insure on collision and comprehensive risks.

HornedToad

Under the Texas Personal Auto Policy you have 30 days to report a newly acquired trailer to the insurance company to have coverage for damage to the trailer (other than collision & collision) back to the date of purchase.

You have 14 days on the ISO (Insurance Services Office) Personal Auto Policy used in most other states.

Below is the policy language from the Texas PAP, the ISO form has a similar provision except it only allows 14 days...

PART D - COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR AUTO

Exclusions
We will not pay for:

6. Loss to a camper body or trailer not shown in the Declarations.
This exclusion (6.) does not apply to a camper body or trailer you:
a. acquire during the policy period; and
b. notify us within 30 days after you become the owner.

You can read this provision in the ISO form on pgs 9 of 12 item 8 here...

http://www.mwac.com/public/Mwac/staticfiles/PDFs/NH_Personal_Auto_Policy_NH_Special_Provision.pdf

Check with your insurance agent for details on your policy!!!

Last edited: