cyclone 4100 fuel filter question

chief916

Hi...just a real quick question....can anyone tell me how the easiest way to remove a generator fuel filter on a 2013 4100 king?? Its in a tight spot and there is something like a green metal crimped clamp and I have no idea what kind of tool to use to remove this clamp. Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Ben.

OEFVET

If you have the Onan 5500 your filter should be a metal filter with two lines attached and one hold down in the middle. As pictured hereOnan Fuel Filter_21.jpg

chief916

Thank you for the come back. Unfortunatly I have nothing on my genny that looks like that. Does that filter go on a propane unit. My unit is gasoline...HGJAB.

OEFVET

Below is another filter configuration.
Product Support Bulletin
Date: October 9, 2008 Bulletin No. 712
Subject: HGJAx family secondary fuel filter elimination program for gasoline
carbureted models only .
Effective: Immediately
Model(s) or Series: HGJAB, HGJAC, HGJAE, HGJAF
Purpose: To inform the field of the elimination of the secondary fuel filter and to
provide instructions and kit information
to support the field population .
Description:
Cummins Power Generation is implementing a program to eliminate the secondary ,
redundant fuel filter on all carbureted
HGJAx model gensets. This fuel filter is located just before the carburetor and will
be replaced by a fitting .
The part number of the current filter is now obsolete and the part number of the
replacement fitting is found below .
The primary fuel filter (ahead of the fuel pump ) shall remain in place , however the
part number has been superseded
to a different filter.
These parts are to be changed out at normal service intervals , or when the genset
is brought in for a fuel filter changeout .
The installation of the fitting replacing the secondary fuel filter is a one -time event.
Please take care in ordering the correct quantities and part numbers .
Obsolete redundant fuel filter part numbe: r149-2629 (refer to figure 1 )
Replacement fitting part number : A026E529 (refer to figure 2 )
Replacement primary fuel filter part numbe: r 0149-2341-01
Instruction to remove old secondary fuel filte: r
1. Remove clamp at the fuel hose at the inlet of the fuel filte.r
2. Remove fuel hose from the fuel filter.
3. Use an 11/16-inch deep socket to remove the fuel filter.
Instruction to install new fitting:
1. Thread a replacement fitting part number A026E529 on by hand (until thread sealant
engages) and
then 1-1/2 turns more.
2. Reinstall fuel hose and install a new clamp part numb e5r03-1951-08 or similar
Figure 1

hgjab.jpg

chief916

yes sir I do. thank you for the bulletin that you sent. when I can, I will get back out there and take a real good look at this. there is a small cylindrical filter just in front of the fuel pump underneath the 5500 located in the front left bottom...looking at the unit as it sits in the compartment. thats the one I was asking about. I'm gonna take ScottyB's cue and see if that gas line has enough slack to cut the crimp off. When you think about it...i'm sure thre is a way. After all, its not like I've got the only 4100 out there that requires this procedure. I'll keep all posted. OBTW..I like your rig and the matching color scheme. Do you have a clearer picture of it?

OEFVET

2015 Truck and Trailer.jpgKeep us posted. You should be able to click on this picture for a larger clearer view.

porthole

Retired
That bulletin is from 2008. Not many Folks on this forum that have an Onan that still qualifies. Look at the picture of my carb in the link below for Onan run issues.

Your dilemma with the filter - it is indeed a pain and there could have been just a bit more access room.
Lightly clamp the fuel line in the genny compartment to prevent the tank from draining when you remove the filter. Also, open the tank cap to relieve any pressure.

Pair of small channel locks on the clamp end, spin the filter with a wrench until removed, then you should be able to get to the clamp to remove it.
I would suggest getting "fuel line" clamps from an auto parts store. They differ then regular worm drive hose clamps in that they don't cut the hose and apply even pressure.

They look like this

http://www.amazon.com/AAS-Fuel-Injection-Clamps-FI6/dp/B0040CU0HM

chief916

thank you sir....I will definatly give it a shot whenever the weather clears....rain to night and all day tomorrow. will let you know how I do.