Generator prep package

Rob327

I bought a 5500 onan generator with 49 hours. Where can I purchase a prep package to install the generator?
2014 Big Horn 3260EL

danemayer

Hi Rob327,

The generator prep includes an automatic transfer switch, wiring from the switch to the generator, wiring from the battery to the generator, and some modifications to the front compartment. You can purchase the switch from Amazon or other sources and can probably also get it from Heartland. The wire can be purchased locally. I'm afraid I don't know the details of what's done in the front compartment to prep for the genny.

The exhaust components have to be added as well, but I think they're part of the generator install, not the prep.

Rob327

I have the extra battery box. The floor is precut for Onan generator. I will need to look behind basement wall for transfer switch.
I do not know if a metal shroud is supposed to be around generator for noise?
I do not have that if its needed.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Some of the parts can be purchased from a Cummings Service and Parts Center. Onan is owned Cummings. The reasons for the metal (steel) surround are: 1) Insure proper ventilation; 2) Fire block or Fire break 3) Heat break or Heat block 4) Sound Shield. The metal surround can be made at a sheet metal shop. Also you will a need a Onan remote harness which includes a start/start switch and a hour meter.