Thinking about truck upgrade

rjf199

I am doing research on upgrading my TV from a 2500 GMC D/A to a 3500 series. My rig is a Gateway 3650BH that mainly serves as my fishing camp but we occasionally take a road trip a couple of times per year. I am concerned about overload of my payload of 2440 lbs. Got caught up in listening to my salesman about how my 3/4 ton pickup was adequate for the job. After reading and learning about potential problems with overloading my TV I am going to pull the trigger on a new 3500. I need this vehicle to also be my daily driver and am leaning to a SRW. I'm still kind of brand loyal to GM but would like to hear some input from Dodge and Ford owners Thanks

MTPockets

Whatever truck you choose, the payload rating is all you need to determine. Do you know the loaded pin weight of your 3650? You need that number, then add to that all cargo and equipment, hitch, passengers in the truck. If the payload sticker on the truck doorpost is greater than the total payload, you're good to go. I'm like you, I don't like guessing and estimating for such an important number. Our first truck was A SRW F350 but we were over by about 300 lbs and I wanted to add auxiliary fuel tank which would be worse, so I had to get DRW. Love my truck!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Recently we were looking at new rides. We had a 2500 GMC CC D/A. I have always been a GM guy but also looked at the Ford and RAM SRW.
Actually like the Ford and RAM better.
Both rode well, had plenty of power and looked good.
We were hot on a new Ford and came upon a one year old RAM.
So now we drive a RAM 3500 CC DRW and love it.

Peace
Dave

rjf199

I know the dry pin weight to be 2020 lbs and now understand that # is nowhere near accurate when loaded. I'm going to go with 3100 lbs loaded pin weight which is 20% of the 15500 GVWR of camper

mobilcastle

Some of the new SRW Rams have a payload over 4K which may work for you depending on what you want to add to the truck when towing. I went with a dually and I also added a auxiliary tank. If you go SRW make sure to check the inside door label to see exactly what the GVW is and then check the payload of that specific truck before buying-they are not all built the same. Good luck.

jeffdee

I upgraded from an F250 SRW to an F350 DRW. In town mpg's appear to be about the same but the towing power and stability was greatly improved. I found there to be a small difference in overall pricing between a 1 ton SRW and a 1 ton DRW. It was worth it to have a more relaxed towing experience for long pulls. I will be making my first long pull next weekend so this will give me the comparison for mpg's while towing. Pin weight won't be an issue now with a DRW.
I thought a DRW would be an issue with daily driving but it hasn't been. I always park away from the crowd in parking lots to stay away from the "door denting".

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
I am doing research on upgrading my TV from a 2500 GMC D/A to a 3500 series. My rig is a Gateway 3650BH that mainly serves as my fishing camp but we occasionally take a road trip a couple of times per year. I am concerned about overload of my payload of 2440 lbs. Got caught up in listening to my salesman about how my 3/4 ton pickup was adequate for the job. After reading and learning about potential problems with overloading my TV I am going to pull the trigger on a new 3500. I need this vehicle to also be my daily driver and am leaning to a SRW. I'm still kind of brand loyal to GM but would like to hear some input from Dodge and Ford owners Thanks

I bought my first dually last April. It is a RAM 3500, diesel with the Aisin transmission. I mention the Aisin for that transmission is the only reason the truck has 850 pounds of torque and makes towing our Ashland (not a light or small 5th wheel) a breeze. I have owned many trucks but this one is the best by far. The only issue is being a DRW can making going through drive up windows a challenge, especially the bank.

mobilcastle

It is an interesting system. What happens if you forget to signal and you make a turn? It also means adding length to your rig. Addition braking is a plus. Good luck.

caissiel

I would never use one of those on my unit unless my TV was equal weight as the trailer. It's a death trap.
Semis use it but the front trailer is loaded first. If not it will drive the unit ahead.

bigdob24

I had the same concerns with my Chevy Duramax. Great truck , best fuel mileage of all my trucks , but the weight capabilities fall behind the others. Finally jumped over to Fords 3/4 ton and now a 350 DRW.
I no longer have to worry about being over weight, it will handle a bit over 4000 .

Bohemian

Automated Safety Hitch. Comment.

Yes, you get around the payload spec of the truck.

You also only get the conventional travel trailer tow capacity (at best) and give up on the 5th wheel tow capacity.

You have turned your 5th wheel into a conventional travel trailer. (as far as the truck is concerned).

IMHO

rjf199

Well after looking at all the different brands I'm staying with GM. Getting a 2015 3500 LTZ DRW. They gave me the best deal on my trade in and I'm looking foward to my first trip. I'm sure I will now be towing with a **** of lot more confidence

blong

You will love that truck, towing anything with DRW is so much more stable. I drive mine daily with no issues. The cameras and parking sensors make parking alot easier than you would think. Not sure what year your 2500 was, but i just upgraded went from a 2011 to a new 2015 and and the upgrades GM has made over the last four years is quite impressive. Very solid and surprisingly quiet truck. Enjoy.

DW_Gray

Good for you on your truck selection. It's important to do what you feel is best for your situation. As for the others who don't understand the Automated Safety Hitch System, I recommend reading this review:
http://goo.gl/0ymBcQ