Smokers (not cigerettes or cigars) & BBQs

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
My hobby is cooking outside on my smoker. I now want to take my hobby on the road by buying a smaller unit for our RV. Our Ashland has a large basement and we also have the space in front that a generator would normally take up. I know there has to be more Heartland owners that have the same passion for outdoor cooking as me so I thought I would start this thread. Because I like pellet smokers and at least three manufacturers now make tailgater version I was hoping we could discuss which one would be the best to buy. By the way of you know other manufacturers please add them to the list.

The three than I am looking at are:

• Davy Crocket from Green Mountain
  • RecTec Mini
  • Traeger Junior Elite

Right now I am leaning toward the RecTec Mini for I already own the large RecTec and I am very happy with the unit for the last year. Also it has a large cooking area meaning you can feed more than 10 people with it. The negatives is it weigh 100 pounds. My question to who ever wants to contribute, what are you using with your RV and if you are looking like me what units are your favorites. Does not have to be based on my three.

Thanks,

Fred

Last edited:

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We have the Davy Crockett. I don't know what it weighs, but it's a lot less than 100 pounds. It maintains the set temp really well and we have space for a couple of tri tips with no problem. It fits nicely into the cargo bay. We looked at Traeger, but Mark did the research and liked the Green Mountain better. It has a higher max temp than the Traeger for one thing. I don't really know what his other criteria were.

Kristy

fredwrichardson

We have the Davy Crockett. I don't know what it weighs, but it's a lot less than 100 pounds. It maintains the set temp really well and we have space for a couple of tri tips with no problem. It fits nicely into the cargo bay. We looked at Traeger, but Mark did the research and liked the Green Mountain better. It has a higher max temp than the Traeger for one thing. I don't really know what his other criteria were.

Kristy

Kristy,

I do really like the Davey Crockett too. Been trying to go see one near Santa Fe but no dealers here and they do not sell online. I think they have a dealer in Albuquerque so may take the hour and drive to see one. I hear they have a new WiFi option that works with a phone app so you can monitor temperature.

fredwrichardson

Well here is a spreadsheet showing the three units side by side. I know my wife thinks I should do better things in life or just get a life but this is the only way I can make a decision. Here is the sheet:

RV-Smoker-Comparison.jpg <- click here

I will see if there is a better way to post the sheet.

fredwrichardson

ModelManufacturerMSRPWeightCooking AreaHopper SizeFolding Legs120 volt12 voltInverterWattagePhone App
Davy CrockettGreen Mountain Grills$399 + pickup at dealer57 lbs219 sq in9 lbsstandardyesyesyes240yes
MiniRecTec$499 + $99 shipping101 lbs341 sq in15 lbsstandardyesnooption250no
Junior EliteTraeger$449 + pickup at dealer68 lbs292 sq in8 lbs$79 optionyesnooption250no

Well this is a little better. When you go through everything the Davy Crockett is the best of the three. My only issue is cooking area but below is a picture with 9 large chicken thighs so it is off to the dealer to look at it in real life.

PhoenixThighs2.jpg

fredwrichardson

Fred, I am still looking for something smaller and lighter. Do you know anything about Traeger's portable?

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BBQ020?gclid=COL-w5iBnMMCFcECaQodICwADg#.VLrZJdLF98E

Yes I looked at them and even talked with some owners. The feedback I got was it has to be put on a table but it weighs 40 pounds so the table has to be very solid. No folding tables will hold it. They do have a stand for it ($69.99) that fold down but is still big and the gentleman I talked to said it was not that stable and could be knocked over. He recommended that you use the campground table that most RV parks have to use it. Now the big reason when it was reviewed by AmazinRibs.com (my favorite outside cooking website) this was their review.

"A big problem with entry level Traegers like the PTG is the inferior three position controller that has no thermostat to monitor actual temperature and can only execute pellet run times for low, medium and high heat. It feeds the same amount of fuel to the firepot whether you're cooking on a scorching summer day or frozen winter night. So you can't experience the joy of set it and forget it cooking that is one of the main attractions of contemporary pellet smokers." "With 169 square inches of cook surface and about 6 inches of head room, cooking possibilities are limited. "

Hard to properly slow cook meat without accurate thermostat control.

Also you can cook steaks, chicken pieces and smaller items but you could never do a complete chicken, Pork Shoulder or small brisket with 6 inches of height. It is just not big enough. Also by the time you buy the unit, power converter for 12 volts and the stand you could buy the Davy Crockett with all that built in.

One more last thing the Davy Crockett is only 28 pounds heavier with built in stand so for a small amount of additional weight you get a much better unit.

Last edited:

pegmikef

Thanks much Fred. The temperature control was the feature that impressed me most when my camping neighbor used larger Traeger at the MCD factory. Guess I will keep looking.

jdfishing

You can purchase a digital thermostat ($90-100) for the small portable Traeger. I borrowed one for trip and it cooked a tri-tip to perfection, but I was also impressed with the Davy Crockett, which I think is the better deal.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Not on the list but we bought a Masterbuilt a year ago and found it works very well. It doesn't take up much space in the garage of the Cyclone either. We smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving that came out wonderful.
Just my 2cents worth but it was a huge step up from the Brinkman we've used for tha last 15 yrs

fredwrichardson

Not on the list but we bought a Masterbuilt a year ago and found it works very well. It doesn't take up much space in the garage of the Cyclone either. We smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving that came out wonderful.
Just my 2cents worth but it was a huge step up from the Brinkman we've used for tha last 15 yrs

Do you have the model number and I will look it up and add it to the list.

fredwrichardson

Well I am now moving away from the RecTec Mini to the Davy Crockett. Still wish the cooking area was larger but the new unit with WIFI and their new phone app (I am a tech head) makes it a pretty great product. Plus I can hardly find a negative review. AmazinRibs.com rated it the best of the portable pellet BBQs. Also the RecTec at 101 pounds is just too heavy for me to haul in and out of the RV. Going to let it warm up a little before I buy. Who knows maybe something better might be on the way.

fredwrichardson

Sorry Fred. I thought I had found it for you. I missed the large red print LOL.

No problem I though the same thing until I called and was reminded many times. Most likely still going to buy one. I just have to drive a ways to go to the dealer.

fredwrichardson

You can purchase a digital thermostat ($90-100) for the small portable Traeger. I borrowed one for trip and it cooked a tri-tip to perfection, but I was also impressed with the Davy Crockett, which I think is the better deal.

You are right you can upgrade all of their grills. The problem is when you add the grill, the stand and then the digital thermostat you are at $470 and I would rather buy a Davy Crockett and save $70.