Solar

ptillett

Has anyone out there in Heartland invested in solar energy for dry camping? If so, what do you think. I think I would like that vs running a generator.

Thanks in advance.

crazybanshee

Solar is a great option except the price of panels has skyrocketed. We have 450 watts on the roof. Six 6volt batteries and a prosine 1800watt inverter. We can boondock for weeks watching TV, microwaving, and run the air compressor and rarely start the geny.
Doug

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I have four 130 watt panels with two controlers, four t-120 6 volt batteries (wish I had at least two more batteries) and a 3000 watt pure sinewave Xantrex inverter with 100 watt charger. Haven't had a chance to really put it to use but expect it to run all but the heat and air in my Landmark. I'll get a chance to use it soon as we leave out to get started on our fulltiming in about three weeks. Will rely on it to supply us with power at night while on the road for a couple of weeks.

Don

Last edited:

ChopperBill

110 watt and 2 volt batteries. Does a good job keep those batteries up. I got screwed on the controller. I didnt know what the fancy name for the good controller was called (MPPT ) and asked for one of those "turbo" controllers. A big solar dealer told me this is all I needed and handed me a non MPPT controller. One consolation is I have mine set up as a portable and can follow the sun so I am probably making up for my "all I need" controller compared to having it mount.