2015 Ram 3500 without Aisen transmission

rjf199

Test drove a Ram Laramie 3500 with a door sticker payload of 5600 lbs. This truck does not have the Aisen tranny. Does anyone have an opinion about the regular transmission

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Test drove a Ram Laramie 3500 with a door sticker payload of 5600 lbs. This truck does not have the Aisen tranny. Does anyone have an opinion about the regular transmission

With the regular transmission you will lose over 200 foot pounds of torque but right from their towing calculator without the Aisin total max towing 12,833 pounds, Max GCVW 27,000. Same truck and both have the 3.73 rear end, Total max towing 17,807, Max GCVW 32,300. As you can see the Aisin add a lot and is the only reason Ram was number one in towing. The other part of the transmission that is really cool is it is geared better for towing. The low gear is lower than the regular transmission giving you more start power when towing but it actually is geared higher in the higher gears giving you better gas mileage. It also so smooth I can never really tell when it shifts and there is never power loss between gears.

When I take someone new in the truck and we merge on to the hwy starting at around 30 MPH, if I put pedal to the metal the truck will push you back into your seats and by the time you are just a few feet on the hwy and off the on ramp you are doing 70 MPH. Of course this is not towing. I call it my rocket sled.

I love my Aisin and most RAM truck owners, based on their remarks on this forum, are pretty happy with theirs too.

jnbhobe

The way I hear it from others is that the Asian transylvania is bullet proof ( LOL Tranny ! )

szewczyk_john

As a loyal Ram owner, the knock on ram was always the tranny. The asian has taken that minus away. It is wrath the added money and teaming it with the cummins makes for one **** of a combo. I am still a few years away from a new truck but I know plenty of people that move heavy equipment for construction companies and they love them.

whp4262

The Aisin is built by Aisin Seiki in Japan. It was used in commercial application prior to being offered in the Dodge. The company builds other transmissions and automotive parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoefler

I have towed with both transmissions, with the same trailers. While the 68RFE is a reliable and bullet proof transmission, it will do the job quite readily without issues. The Aisin, is absolutely without a doubt, a better transmission. On a 2,000 mile journey to camp with the Mouse, it was very apparent what difference it is. Definitely worth the upgrade, but, either one will get the job done.

Bohemian

The Aisin and the 68RDE have the same 4th and 6th gears. The 5ths are similar. 1st and 2nd in the Aisin are substantially lower than in the 68RFE.

The net is the Aisin with the 3.42 diff has the same 1st gear final drive ratio as the 68RFE would have if you could get a "3.99" diff.

Thus the Aisin should have better highway performance and still have the low gear torque of the 68RFE with the 4.10 diff.

Not a bad combination.

Then, if you need the big low gear ultimate torque option get the Aisin with the 4.10 diff for maximum tow capacity.

Bohemian

Aisin transmission gives you a lower payload simply because it is a heavier transmission.

Aisin has a stronger clutch pack and high torque capacity. (According to Ram executives)

Aisin has same 4th and 6th gears as 68RFE, similar 5th gear.

Aisin has much lower 1st and 2nd gears.

Aisin has a higher torque capacity and come with a more powerful version of the CTD.

1st gear final drive ratio with the Aisin and the 3.42 diff would be the same as the 1str gear final drive ration of the 68RFE if you could get it with a "3.99" diff.

Aisin lists for $3,000.000 more

Aisin is the old Borg Warner transmission design purchased by Aisin buying Borg Warner transmissions.

AAdams

With the standard automatic and a 3.73 and 4x4 you can tow 18,550# if you have no payload. With the Aisin you can pull 23,400 with a 3.73 with no payload. If you are pulling a 16k trailer and have 500# of payload/passengers in the truck, you will have a 2K margin. With a 18k trailer you will have a 50# margin. IMHO the Aisin is worth the $2400 difference (They charge $600 for the reg automatic). You also get a slightly bigger rear end, and an aluminum differential cover to keep the rear end cooler. I wanted a 20% or greater margin of error on the pull weights. The reason is that I believe running at max capacity or near it will shorten the life of the truck's power train and after buying a truck at today's prices I will need to hang on to this one for a real long time. I will not be towing with this truck until April 1st so I can't tell you how it tows yet. We went with the Aisin/4.10 rear end because our options when looking for a 2014 were limited and this was the only one with the features/color we wanted in 700 miles of where we are.

j4henry

hopefully im not too late to chime in.....We have a 4100king and have towed with a 12 3500drw with the 68rfe trans, and 3.73 and now tow with at 13 3500drw aisin and 4.10s. Given my experience the 13 is a much better, effortless towing grossing out at 27480. The trans in the 12 got extremely hot towing in the steep grades and got to where it wouldn't shift properly, where the 13 hardly knows the trailer is back there.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have the 6.0 litre gas engine and the 4:10 rear end . . . and it pulls flawlessly up in the mountains!

Enough said . . . ! :cool:

A 150/1500 . . . nowhere near enough truck!

No matter what your trailer dealership told you.

Oh . . . my trailer dealership told me that my current truck could handle my new trailer, but didn't tske into the diff3erences in real world issuses!

I am on my own to pay for said problems (legaleze) . . .

GOTTOYS

I had a 68 RFE transmission in my 2010 Dodge. Never had a problem with it. I had the truck for 94,000 miles and towed around 25,000 of those. I can't help but laugh when someone says the transmissions in the Rams are weak. That may have been true several tears ago with the older design 4 speed transmission but that hasn't been the case since the 6 speeds came out in in mid 2007. It often takes a long time for people to forget what they once heard...My only complaint about it was that at times the shifting could be pretty harsh under load....Don

gtsum2

My 2014 3500 has 21k on it with the 68rfe Trans and no issues. If I towed often I likely would have ordered the aisin just for the extra power

Bohemian

Ram engineers have said that the major functional difference between the two transmissions (other than gear ratios) is that the Aisin has a much stronger clutch pack.

Jim.Allison

The difference is the HO 6.7. 15 hp and 50 lbs of input torque. RAM has cleverly made the AISIN the standard transmission for the HO. Marketing at its finest. I have a riding lawnmower that can generate 15 hp and 50 lbs of torque.

Chrysler did have a problem with one of their transmissions once but not the 68RFE. I doubt very seriously that an increase of 15 hp and 50 lbs of torque is going to harm a 68RFE. IMHO the only significant difference is the PTO available on the AISIN, the fact that you can't get the HO 6.7 without it, and 3 grand.

As far as being a commercial transmission in Japan, are there no commercial usage transmissions besides the borgwarner/aisin?

The 6.7 and the 68RFE are completely capable and will put a smile on your face when you call on that 6.7 to deliver. If you have the need and the bucks then pay the money and get the HO 6.7 and the AISIN, but if you do not have a need for it and your budget is tight, you're not missing much if you don't buy it.

As far as having a lower 1st and 2nd; granny gear v. grandma gear, my grandma is taller than your granny. What do you need to get rolling anyway?