Considering GW 3900SE

rskeans

We need to keep our GVWR 15000 or less due to CA licensing consideration. The GW 3900 SE has the preferred floor plan and the GVWR is listed at 14000 lbs. However, the dry weight is listed at 12800 lbs leaving only 1200 lbs for EVERYTHING! Something is not right. The axles are listed at 14000. The pin weight is listed at 2600 lbs. So there should only be 11400 lbs on the axles dry. I would think that the GW 3900SE should have a GVWR of 15000 lbs. I think somebody at Heartand just made an typo error. It is almost certain that my weight will exceed 14000 lbs.

Could somebody with a GW 3900SE take look at the factory sticker and verify the GVWR number and the NCC (Net Carrying Capacity)? The nearest dealer is 100+ miles away.

Or, could somebody improve my comfort level by providing additonal information.

P

Paul.craven

Thank you for considering a Gateway! You are correct that we put 7K axles on the 3900SE.
Our axle weight plus pin weight would definitely put you over 15K GVWR, so I think you are good for what you are wanting to accomplish. Feel free to message me if you would like to discuss further.

rskeans

Thank you for the quick responce. What is important is that the tag on the GW 3900SE says '15000 GVWR'. Then I could pass any state insections. If it says just 15001 lbs I couldn't pull it in CA. But if the tag says 14000 lbs, and I weight greater than 14000 lbs, then I have a problem. What will the tag say?

rskeans

As you know...you will still have get the adendum to you class"C" for being over 10K.
Yes. Thanks for the reminder, but the adendum is the easy part. The Class A is the problem in that I have to get the 5er in question to a Class A test station, and, I have to have somebody with me that has the same Class A license. That's why the desire to keep the 5ver under15K.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes, you are correct. Try going to the DMV ask for the test for the "adendum"....they will not have a clue what you are asking for. I tried 3 times and said "nuts" on them. If they dont know....why should I care. Unless you do something really stupid. Your chances of being pulled over and checked is "slim to none". You will never have to go through any scales....EVER.

rskeans

Yes, you are correct. Try going to the DMV ask for the test for the "adendum"....they will not have a clue what you are asking for. I tried 3 times and said "nuts" on them. If they dont know....why should I care. Unless you do something really stupid. Your chances of being pulled over and checked is "slim to none". You will never have to go through any scales....EVER.
You are probably correct. One problem is that my truck's GVWR is 14000. It seems that a combined weight of 26001 lbs could ring bells. I just now came across this thread created today on the Cummins forum that illustrates the confusion all the requlations are creating. The guy that started with the problem had a race car in tow. If you are into some confusing reading take a look at the thread. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-general-discussion/1482530-800-fines-not-having-cdl.html So, I don't know. Probably have to check into a Class A CDL (non-commercial). Not happy about that.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK, now you have a TV issue. Are you saying you can only tow a 5er weighing in at 14K gross weight?? What is your TV rated at GCVW. My '05 and '07 Chevy 2500HD D/A were 22K GCVW. Your concerned about a "state inspection"......what state inspection??? I have never heard of one in California???? Thats only for Big Rigs.....not RV's. Like I said, you DO NOT...EVER have to go through any scales with an RV. I drove 18 wheelers (my own) for years, had a CDL, and do know about California and it's stupid laws. I'm going to send you a PM with my PH# and lets talk about this...cause I hate typing.