Outback or Morningstar MPPT Charge Controller?

TxPatriot

Texas Nomads
I will be purchasing some flexible solar panels to go on top of my Big Country soon, and will also be needing
a charge controller. I know I will be getting a MPPT charge controller from either Outback or Morningstar.

For the people that use these on a daily basis, is it just a preference on the manufacturer? How did you make your decision?

Mark

Jim.Allison

How many volts and watts do you have going to the controller? I bought the Tristar in the 45 amp. I love it, But I don't have any experience with anything else. But if you are looking at the tristar, I like the programing with the dip switches. I also like the fact that I can get free software from morningstar and create a custom charging curve for your batts. I probably will not ever use that feature but its there if I want, the dip switches were good enough for me. It was an easy plug and play install. And it plays well with the other onboard chargers.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Jim,

How hot does your Tristar get when in operation? I was thinking of installing the controller under the sink by the stove since the water heater is also in that area. But don't want to introduce too much heat into the inside. Not sure where else to mount since the behind refrigerator space has almost no room to spare which was my original location. I upgraded RVs this spring and they removed excess space behind the refrigerator compared to my previous NT. The other location could be under the stove. The water pump and a vent and duct are all that is under the stove.