Big Horn 3160 - Organizing the Pantry

Oregon_Camper

Ok everyone...I'm asking a question from my wife.

We should have our new BigHorn 3160 next week (finally...ordered in November). My wife would like to know how all the rest of you have organized your pantry. The pantry is HUGE and stuff can slide every direction if you don't put in some racks / storage devices.

Would love to hear all your comments and suggestions...pictures earn you BONUS points. :cool:

Bob Vaughn

Here is what I did.....I put letters on each shelf....then I put like items together....then I made a list of what was on each shelf.....I write on top of the can or box the date that the item expires....as we remove something for use we try to add that item to the camper shopping list.....I also made all my shelves slide out with sides so things do not fall off and I can get to the stuff in the back. Prior to taking a trip it is a snap to go to the computer and print out a check list and go check each shelf. Plus the list can be updated as needed.....I made my own list because there were too many things on ready made lists that included things we do not use....I do not like to have to look for a store when we camp....I put the spongy shelf liner on each shelf to keep stuff from sliding around...

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Or, you could as my wife does and just pack all of your cabinets with so much stuff that there is no room for anything to move around. :)

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My DW is like Dave and Mary.....you can't get one more thing in any cabinet. Ain't nothing going to move...but I had to buy a bigger truck.

fidhleir

We just got our 3160 a couple weeks ago. Sitting here at San Clemente State Park watching the sun set into the Pacific and contemplating the same issue. I'm thinking of using an appropriate sized cargo net and attaching hooks to each shelf. It would be quick to put up and take down and not quite as much work as an inventory control system. I don't care about organization as my wife will reorganize it next week anyway. I just want things to stay on the shelves in transit.

happykraut

Not sure what your new pantry will look like, but here is what I did. Check "2014 3010RE Pantry Mod" post #1 dated 07/18/2013. Sorry I don't know how to do links. The thread is closed, but you can still see it. My wife loves it. We have no problems with things moving around because she keeps it crammed full.

etcmss

Do you have end pieces on your shelves? Ours (in 3260EL) has end pieces to act as stoppers for items that may jump off during transit. I did add a couple of eyelet at the end and use a rope piece to wind around them---it adds to the shelf border height.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what your new pantry will look like, but here is what I did. Check "2014 3010RE Pantry Mod" post #1 dated 07/18/2013. Sorry I don't know how to do links. The thread is closed, but you can still see it. My wife loves it. We have no problems with things moving around because she keeps it crammed full.
Here is a link to the mod thread that Bernie is talking about. (LINK)

Peace
Dave

happykraut

Do you have end pieces on your shelves? Ours (in 3260EL) has end pieces to act as stoppers for items that may jump off during transit. I did add a couple of eyelet at the end and use a rope piece to wind around them---it adds to the shelf border height.
As I pointed out on my thread, I put the shelves in upside down to give me a ledge to keep stuff from falling off. Thanks for the link Cookie.

jjriker

My husband put supports in the center of the shelf - an approximately 1 by 6 size piece of shelving. That serves two purposes....keeps things in place more easily and also helps to support the weight of each shelf. Cans of soup or vegetables etc can get pretty heavy.