Need Advice on 2009 Sundance 2800RLS and Chevy CK2500

77Vetter

We are looking at becoming first time rv'ers and went out looking today and found a really nice 2009 Sundance 2800RLS that we really like. So I have several questions about getting started with RVing.

First I have a 2000 Chevy CK2500 5.7L Crewcab with 4:10 gears and towing package. It only has 70,000 miles and I am the original owner. It is in great shape and looks and drives like new. Will I have any trouble pulling the camper with this pickup? We live in the midwest and do not plan on pulling the camper through any mountains/hills. We plan on driving it 75 miles one way in the Spring to our camp spot and then home again in the Fall and thats about it for pulling. Will we be able to pull the camper without any issue?

Also looking for advice on the best hitch. I would like to be able to remove it when not pulling but want something good and sturdy/reliable.

For the most part it will be just my wife and I in the camper. So we think the camper will work well for us. We like the layout and the camper appears to be in really good condition. The camper is at a dealer and they say they went through everything and all is functional and in working order. They will give us an hour or so showing us how everything works to make sure we understand everything.

Anything we should look for specifically in terms of basic maintenance on the camper: slideouts, waterheater, airconditioner, tanks, etc. Anyone else have the 2009 2800RLS? Things you like, things you would have changed? We are just looking for some good advice as we take the plunge into RV'ing.

Thanks in advance!

ncc1701e

We had a 2011 280ORLS and it was great. Your truck should do just fine. Pulled ours with a gas 250 to the Rockies and back. Empty I think the weight was 8700#. Hitch, went with a Curt Q5, transverse it to the new truck. Easy to remove in two pieces when not pulling.