Where is my Antenna?

Mburke

I purchased a North Trail 28BRS last October and this is my first RV so I am a novice to all of this. I have seen on other youtube videos and do it yourself posts about raising and lowering antennas but I can not locate where to do that on my unit or what the actual antenna even looks like. I can see that there is a jack for the TV to connect to in the TV Console but not sure what to hook it up with or if I do indeed have antenna.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Mburke and welcome to this great forum.
I do not own a NT but I am pretty sure that there is an omni directional antenna up on the roof with no need to raise or lower.
Take a look up on the roof.
I'm sure that another NT owner will verify what you have.

Peace
Dave

That is the correct antenna but man, it is horrible! We just traded a 2014 NT with a batwing/crank-up and received all kinds of stations with that antenna. However, with our new 2015 NT, this 'mushroom' style omnidirectional antenna is horrible! We forked out the $300 to CW to install a King Jack antenna and boy was it worth it! A few seconds and you're watching TV even out in the woods, 45 minutes from a city. We did also make the investment last year into the Gateway satellite system ($600+ once we bought the receivers, etc. +$70 a month to get the stations we want) and we are using the King Jack more than the satellite just because of how easy it is to get going watching TV. We will still use the satellite in the fall for the SEC Network!

EPaulikonis

There should be a hard-disk mounted flush to the ceiling. You can turn it ~180 degrees to spin the antenna to get better reception. Not looking at it right now, but I also believe the disk has directional arrows and a marker to let you know starting position. This is to keep the cable on the roof from wrapping around the mast of the antenna stand.

Is there any way to adjust the direction?

Jtmitchem

That is the correct antenna but man, it is horrible! We just traded a 2014 NT with a batwing/crank-up and received all kinds of stations with that antenna. However, with our new 2015 NT, this 'mushroom' style omnidirectional antenna is horrible! We forked out the $300 to CW to install a King Jack antenna and boy was it worth it! A few seconds and you're watching TV even out in the woods, 45 minutes from a city. We did also make the investment last year into the Gateway satellite system ($600+ once we bought the receivers, etc. +$70 a month to get the stations we want) and we are using the King Jack more than the satellite just because of how easy it is to get going watching TV. We will still use the satellite in the fall for the SEC Network!

Which King Jack did you purchase? We have a 2015 NT and have crap for an antenna.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jtmitchem

This is my antenna...
ac0e025e97556a494343af5105835ecc.jpg

Oregon_Camper

LBR

This is my antenna...
ac0e025e97556a494343af5105835ecc.jpg

These style King antennas are definitely directional...when setting up, it behoves one to tune it in towards the broadcast antenna or highest signal. If you have no way to rotate it, like what you have pictured, I would stick with the omni directional you already have.

Oregon_Camper

If you have no way to rotate it, like what you have pictured, I would stick with the omni directional you already have.

That is why I said he might have to simply replace the entire setup. Then with the new antenna, he would have the ability to control direction as well as getting better reception. It was night and day when we replaced our stock antenna with the King Jack.

LBR

That is why I said he might have to simply replace the entire setup. Then with the new antenna, he would have the ability to control direction as well as getting better reception. It was night and day when we replaced our stock antenna with the King Jack.
It would be well worth the effort to upgrade to a King directional if TV is watched any amount of time, for sure!

Jtmitchem

It would be well worth the effort to upgrade to a King directional if TV is watched any amount of time, for sure!
At first I thought the directional knob would be behind the stereo mount but think I can make it work. Although I might pay someone to put a hole in the roof.

Oregon_Camper

At first I thought the directional knob would be behind the stereo mount but think I can make it work. Although I might pay someone to put a hole in the roof.

Odds are good you can simply reuse the existing hole. Just make sure you get their mounting bracket and have some dicor on hand. Then buy yourself something nice with the $$$ you saved by doing the work yourself. The YouTube video I link before does a good job of showing you all the steps involved.