Recessed lights

Retyred

I have a burned out bulb in a recessed light. How do I remove the plastic lens to change the bulb?

Retyred

jpmorgan37

Retyred;

Are you sure the lens is plastic? All I have seen are frosted glass. If that's what they are, they twist off, counter clockwise, about a 1/4 turn and some of them are a real bear. I broke one getting it off.

slaytop

It's hard to get a grip on the lenses when it is flush with the ceiling. If you are careful and gentle, you can pry it down a little with a flat blade. The fixture is pressed into the opening and will slide out of the opening a little so you can get a better grip around the lenses to turn it. After changing the bulb push it back in.
Larry

Retyred

recessed lights

I have tried but have no luck. I will give it another go, it is so hard to get a grip.

Retyred

Retyred

Thanks for your help, the rubber gloves worked. Now I have to find the bulb not sure if its a T3 or T30.

Retyred

nscaler2

Rubbery cloth

I have used the rubbery cloth that my wife found at Wal-Mart and uses on the shelves in the cupboards to keep the dishes from slipping around. Just place it flat on the glass lens and press and turn. I had to change one of the lights above our couch, and form the description here it is the same fixture. Anyway it worked. Hope this helps. ;)

jpmorgan37

Retyred;

If yours are like mine, they have the two little prongs and the whole halogen bulb is about the size of a wood pencil (in diameter) and total overall length about 3/4 of an inch. It is a 10 watt, 12 volt G-4 base and you can get them at Walmart for about $4.00. I buy them on e-bay for $0.99 in lots of 10 and $2.00 shipping. They are T-3.

John

Last edited: