New owner - First time RV'er about to purchase a 2013 North Trail 32buds Caliber Edition

Ranchdip

Hello all,

First time posting and a 1st time camper owner. Just wanted to check in and get everyone's thoughts on a 2013 North Trail 32buds Caliber Edition as well as what should I expect my towing will be like. Also, I wanted to get everyones thoughts here on the 32BUDS with things to look out for, querks, etc.

I own a Toyota Sequoia SR5 with the 5.7l motor and it has the tow package. Will this be adequate enough of a towing vehicle for this trailer?

Any maintenance or things to look out for when purchasing this 32BUDS Caliber Edition used?

I'll be hauling this thing 500 miles as I'm buying it out of state and bringing it home. :eek:

Thanks so much!

jimtoo

Hi Ranchdip,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you have questions about anything in/on your unit, you can find the answer most likely right here. We have a great search engine on the forum, both simple and advanced. Sometimes that is the fastest way to find an answer instead of waiting on someone to reply. While you are getting acquainted with the forum try out the search tab for fun.

Also be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Be sure and do a very slow, through PDI when you pick up your new toy.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Ranchdip

Also, I have an opportunity to buy a 2012 "non-caliber" addition for a couple grand less. Are the automatic leveling jacks worth the extra cost? The reason I ask is that it appears the 2012 32BUDS has nicer looking wall paper and there are a few cabintry additions in the 2012 that seemed to be ommited in the 2013. (ie the extra cabinet above the bed and the bunk house ladder, etc.)

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Welcome to Heartland. If you do buy a Heartland product you will not be disappointed. When choosing to purchase between the two I would just suggest figuring out what is most important to you, and what you can do without. Figure out which trailer has what you need and go get it. As far as your TV, I am willing to bet you will wish you had something larger to tow with before you get home. Nothing against yota's. I tried towing mine with my Dad's 2015 F150 and wind or semi's passing made it an uneasy affair. I couldn't imagine doing it with a bigger trailer. I would also bet you will be over the limit of your vehicle once you put everything in the camper that you want to plus water etc. Way over once your vehicle is loaded. Just be careful whatever you do and maybe consider a sway/leveling hitch if you are not able to get a different vehicle or smaller camper.

Ranchdip

Good points. Yes sir, definitely having a WDH added before it even pulls off the lot. This thing is a beast!

'Lil Guy'

I think you'll be wishing you had a 3/4 ton diesel before you are finished. I pulled a NT21FBS with my 1/2 T Dodge Ram. Couldn't tell it was there on level roads. You get into the hills or mountains and expect some serious downshifting and RPM's. This unit is about 9' longer and 2200 lbs heavier. Take it easy till you get used to it. Make sure your WDH has a good stabilizer bar set up on it. At 35' 10", last thing you want is it to start wagging it's tail. Get familiar with the trailer brake and know how to use it independently if need be. Whatever you decide, be careful and enjoy it. Hope to see you down the road someday.
BTW, I like the camp kitchen on that rig.

Ranchdip

Y'all think I'll still need to have a weight distribution hitch and sway bars installed? I'm likely going to be purchasing a 3/4 ton truck soon. Thanks again

jnbhobe

Y'all think I'll still need to have a weight distribution hitch and sway bars installed? I'm likely going to be purchasing a 3/4 ton truck soon. Thanks again

Yes,yes,and yes. Buy the best you can afford, you get what you pay for in hitches and you don't need a new one with every new trailer.

Ranchdip

Ah ok. Will do, thanks for the heads up. What do y'all think of Blue Ox or E2 brand?

This one look okay for my application?

EQUAL-I-ZER WITH SWAY CONTROL - 1000/10000 TRAILER WEIGHT...Regularly $734.00 On Sale for Only $436.95

I'll be at:

GVW
Dry Weight
Hitch Weight

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Yes, you will need the WD and sway control!

And as others have said, your Toyota is not enough truck for that trailer.

Your trailer is longer and heavier than our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner, and after almost two years of towing it with my old Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, I realized that no matter how much I loved that truck, it just wasn't up to the task of pulling our trailer.

Replaced the Dodge with a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 last August . . . and what a big difference!

Even though the trailer hitch shop said I didn't need the WD setup, I still use it and would nev er hit the road without it hooked up!

We just go home the day before yesterday from a 10 day trip to Arizona, and am I ever glad I had the WD and sway bar on, even though the new truck has it built-in!

Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg
(getting gas near Las Vegas, NM last week)

'Lil Guy'

The equalizer with sway control is all you need. Wish you lived near. I have one in the garage like new I would let go cheap. PM me if you are interested. I'm in Houston. You could have it for $150.00. It's the EZlift at 14,600 7,500 with sway bar attachment.

Ranchdip

I'm actually in Houston. I work here. Is the friction type as good as the EQUAL-I-ZER? I need the most help possible since this is my first 35' camper pull.:eek:

'Lil Guy'

My hitch would be perfect for you. Send me a PM if you're interested. I would be willing to let you take it and try it out. You could pay me later if you want. Hate to see it go to waste. Been used 4 times and stays in garage. Looks and is like new. This unit has the chains that distribute the weight. The sway bar is a friction style and has a 1' ball on hitch and another that mounts on your trailer. Need to remove to back up in tight turns. Google it up and look at it. I believe you can look at it on youtube. If it wasn't for DW I'd give it to you. She wants to put in on craigs list. I'm tired of tripping over it since we bought our little 5er. Now I have to step over that one and the 5th wheel hitch.
BTW, I'm in N Houston near 45 and 1960.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
As far as the Equal-I-zer goes, You can backup with it attached. You never have to remember to disconnect the anti-sway before backing up.
I would even consider the 12000/1200 version of the equal-I-zer for your trailer.

I have a North trail 31BDSS and now tow with a 3/4ton gasser. No need for the diesel with mine.

I really like the equal-I-zer and now would not consider changing to the other friction type with chains.

I have no sway with the equal-I-zer and even after upgrading from a 1/2 to 3/4 ton truck I still use the equal-I-zer because it really does seem to make a difference.

David L.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
As far as the Equal-I-zer goes, You can backup with it attached. You never have to remember to disconnect the anti-sway before backing up.
I would even consider the 12000/1200 version of the equal-I-zer for your trailer.

I have a North trail 31BDSS and now tow with a 3/4ton gasser. No need for the diesel with mine.

I really like the equal-I-zer and now would not consider changing to the other friction type with chains.

I have no sway with the equal-I-zer and even after upgrading from a 1/2 to 3/4 ton truck I still use the equal-I-zer because it really does seem to make a difference.

David L.

Yes . . .

When I upgraded from a Dodge Ram 1500 to a Chevy Silverado 2500HD last August, the hitch shop told me I wouldn't need the WD and sway control, but I think I do.

I pulled it around for a few miles without it and I sure can tell the difference with it attached!

I won't leave home without it, unless I'm just pulling the trailer to the car wash, tire shop, getting the LP tanks filled or the local dump station.

We just got back Monday from a 2600 mile round trip to Arizona with our trailer, and with the winter wind down there and all of the trucks passing, am I ever glad I had the WD setup!

Plus, I like the safety of having that extra stuff hooked up in case something else comes unhooked.

NewTruckHitchInAZ.jpg

chiefaret

When I got my Caliber 26RBSS I had Tundra 5.7 that was suppose tow 10K. Did fine level ground but any grade it would down shift and scream to maintain 50mph. Deale installed an EqualizerHitch for the rig that was good for 10K and 1K tongue weight. The hitch is great and keeps me feeling secure with the weight I pull. Any how, I got the caliber addition and love the extras that came with it, I think it was worth the extra fees. And I got a Ford 250 diesel and don't regret that move either, pulling a big trailer a diesel is great.

After you get it home and loaded find a way to get it weighed, I found my tongue weight was 780 lbs vs the 678 in the literature. Also you can make sure that the loading side to side is ok.

Good luck with your new rig.

Ranchdip

Well, I took the plunge and found a dealer willing to sell me the 10k/1k equal-i-zer hitch for $435 (Not the $735 most dealers sell it for). I can tell you after hauling an 8000lb trailer through a wind advisory on a crowded freeway I'm so glad I bought it!!! We made it home just fine pulling the North Trail 32BUDS. Wow, that thing is long! The turning radius is large and you really have to plan out all your stops. No more getting gas at a regular gas station. It was all Pilot truck stops all the way home. It pulled like a dream though all things considered. I have to say though; I feel I put the equivalent of 2000 miles on my trailer dragging it through the horrible roads in Louisiana. (I-10) They have made a ton of improvements but they just can't seem to get the bridge to highway transitions corrected. Talk about a jarring experience.