Generator Size

DirtyMax88

Good afternoon everyone. We just purchased a 2015 Heartland Landmark Newport and are extremely excited for it to arrive. We had a few options we "must have" so we are ordering it. It will be at the dealership in 8 weeks hopefully. From what we have heard from other people and read on different forums we know we picked the right trailer. All that being said, can you fine folks shed some light on what size generator we would need to run the trailer. Not that you would have everything on at one time, but lets assume you do. We haven't had a trailer of this size before, so we weren't sure what we needed. We want a portable model if possible. Any and all info is appreciated! Look forward to talking with you all soon!

Thank you
Will

danemayer

Hi DirtyMax88,

Congratulations on the new Landmark and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to get answers to your questions, or to browse for prior discussions in a particular area of interest. The forum also has a search function that allows to you find answers, even in the middle of the night.

The Landmark 365 has more electric appliances than prior versions, and comes with a power management system that prioritizes where the available power is used. Cooking and air conditioning require a considerable amount of power. Hot water and furnace operation can run off propane with battery support, as long as the battery gets sufficient re-charge.

Fuel supply is a key consideration. An on-board Onan 5500 propane generator will keep you comfortable, but you can go through a 30 lb tank of propane in less than 12 hours of runtime.

Carrying a couple of small generators, like Honda 2000 Watt inverter/generators that can be ganged together will probably let you cook and maybe run 1 A/C unit. But again, fuel supply is a key question. How much gas do you carry, and where do you carry it?

A lot depends on how you plan to use the coach.

Jim.Allison

The LP 5500 (minimum) is the preferred generator, it uses .8 gallons per hour of operation. If your rig is equipped with a advanced energy management system, it probably has automatic generator start, if not, its easy to install. I have one and it cuts the need for fuel down quite a bit as the generator is activated when the thermostat calls for AC or any other appliance for that matter. The second most fuel hungry system is your battery charger. You would not think it, but the reason why, is the charging curve for batteries. To get a 100% charge on your batts, you have to run the generator all day, your charger charges at less of a rate as the batts get close to 100%. You pay dearly for that last 1/10 of a volt. So adding solar to keep your batteries charged will save a lot of fuel, Solar is basically plug and play unless you are installing an inverter to run the whole rig (you can look at my photos to view what I think are the best panels). On the topic of fuel, diesel is nasty, and gasoline is problematic in that it stinks and is dangerous, an approved tank will have to be installed. Where do you put it? So IMHO that leaves LP which is really not all that expensive as a fuel, but more importantly, the trips you have to make to stay fueled is problematic. I have found that my two onboard cylinders and 1 extra that I carry in the garage can keep me supplied for most any 5 day trip, but auto gen start and solar is the key. So, for a rig like yours, I would suggest that you install the correct generator, which I think is the Onan LP5500 with two 30 amp breakers (not the 30/20), A small solar charging system, Auto Gen Start, and an extra cylinder. The main benefit to installing the proper generator is that you get full use of it and all the benefits of everything a generator can do. To me that is what it is all about. Why have a nice rig like you have and forgo the comforts and versatility of it by trying to save the 4k that the proper generator cost if you install it yourself? I don't like gasoline anywhere near my rig even a 2 gallon can, of course you can set it away from your rig. After all I'm sleeping in that thing and gasoline can consume a rig in a heartbeat. Diesel less so but it can support combustion in a serious manner with the same end results of gasoline. With LP, you are not likely to have a problem unless you have an accident that ruptures a tank.-my two cents

Good afternoon everyone. We just purchased a 2015 Heartland Landmark Newport and are extremely excited for it to arrive. We had a few options we "must have" so we are ordering it. It will be at the dealership in 8 weeks hopefully. From what we have heard from other people and read on different forums we know we picked the right trailer. All that being said, can you fine folks shed some light on what size generator we would need to run the trailer. Not that you would have everything on at one time, but lets assume you do. We haven't had a trailer of this size before, so we weren't sure what we needed. We want a portable model if possible. Any and all info is appreciated! Look forward to talking with you all soon!

Thank you
Will

DirtyMax88

Hi Danemayer,
Thanks for the quick reply. We would like to have the ability to take and move the generator around freely. We were thinking gasoline or diesel generator (taking a few 5 gal containers to refill with), we have a diesel truck that we will use to haul the camper around, so it would be very convienent to have a diesel gen, just weren't to sure about how loud they are. We have used and owned the little hondas and they are great. But we sold them with the previous trailer, and want to upgrade to one big portable one. Im not sure we would even run both A/C's at one time, but if we went somewhere during the summer month and needed to i would assume we would need a decent size gen. For now, we will be using the new trailer for 3 and 4 day trips along the eastern seaboard, and to our favorite Nascar tracks (most of which are dry camping, so picking out a generator is on the top of out list). I would be nice to run certain items on board off the propane as well, which would help with the fuel consumption on the generator. One option we ordered was the gas stove and oven, in place of the induction cook top, so right there is one less thing to draw on the gen. The refer will run while we are towing to our destination, correct, so it wont take much if anything to cool down when we are ready to use it (correct?). This might be a dumb question, but when the spec on the gen's talk 120V240V, what in the trailer will run off which?

DirtyMax88

Jim.Allison,
Thanks for your reply and info. I will have to talk to my dealer to find out if I have that advanced energy management system. Is that a standard option, i dont remember going over that when we were there. And forgive me, because i don't know, aren't the batteries on your trailer used mainly for running your slides or refer for a limited amount of time, until you are on gen power or on electric hook up? I will look into the solar charging system because that does sound like a great idea (don't tell my envro./green friends :)....)

As I mention to Danemayer, we are 90% sure we want a portable or non-trailer mounted generator. Something I can throw in the bed of the truck and roll, but still need something with enough gusto to run the a/c's, refer, and hot water heater.

HornedToad

when the spec on the gen's talk 120V240V, what in the trailer will run off which?

That is the $100 question. I had the hardest time understanding this even after I read a half dozen written explanations. The diagram below helped put it in perspective for me.

With 50 amp service you have two separate 120V lines (red/black) into a split panel for a total of 240V. Each side of the panel is just 120V, so all the items in the trailer run off 120V, but are connected on either side of the panel to spread the load.

To run two ACs you'll need a portable generator with 5000+ watts and a 120V/240V four prong plug.

Attachments

• 50ampRVDistribution.jpg
    50ampRVDistribution.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 79

danemayer

The Power Control System (Energy Management System) is shown as standard on Landmark 365. But I don't think it has a generator auto-start feature. Here's a link to some of the manuals.

It sounds like you're planning on boondocking. If that's the case, I would recommend you look at the fuel consumption for the generators you're considering, and how much run time you expect, and map that to how long you plan to be off-grid.

DirtyMax88

Thanks for those links.

I will look into that. I would think we would be able to take along some extra fuel jugs and refill if needed. Not to worried about that. I am guessing I will need something around 7500 or 8000, if i were to have to run everything. But also quiet so I don't upset my fellow RV'ers or race fans. I looked at that Onan quiet diesel 7500, but that thing weighs over 400lbs. Id kill myself lifting it in and out of my pick up. Ha.

Thanks to all of you for your input! Hope to see you all around the campgrounds! :)

Djknick

Max, I know this might be a bit late but be VERY careful when talking about running your fridge when you are on the move. Driving down the road with anything running off the propane can cause you a HUGE fine if you get caught. Most Fridge's run off of 12V and propane when not connected to shore power. Unless you have an inverter installed to take your battery power and convert it to 110V you will probably have to consider not using your fridge while traveling. What I have done, and what is usually suggested, is to get the fridge cold before you head out, put your stuff in it, and leave it alone until you can plug in.

porthole

Retired
Driving down the road with anything running off the propane can cause you a HUGE fine if you get caught.

Where did you read that you will be fined for running on propane going down the road?

Only restrictions are typically some tunnels and bridges. "HazMat" signs, and you have to read the fine print to see if propane is excluded.

Baltimore tunnels are strictly off limits with any propane. You will have an issue if you miss the last exit.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel is "just turn your propane storage off" and a limit on quantity (two tanks I think). Most of the time they toll attendants only ask if you have turned it off. We have never been physically inspected.

George Washington Bridge is upper deck only.

danemayer

Max, I know this might be a bit late but be VERY careful when talking about running your fridge when you are on the move. Driving down the road with anything running off the propane can cause you a HUGE fine if you get caught.

Hi Djknick,

I know that a few tunnels have signs posted restricting propane, but I'm not aware of any general legal restrictions that might result in fines. Are you talking about a specific state or local jurisdiction?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Keep in mind many many refrigerated semi-trailers use a propane fueled refrigeration unit as well as refrigerated Bob-tail trucks, RV (motor homes, travel trailers and 5th wheels). So there are so many propane fueled refrigeration equipped vehicles traveling our roads all the time.

EPaulikonis

I run a Honda 3000Is and also have the backup of Onan LP generator on my Landmark. Works out quite useful since the Honda is small enough to maneuver around and use on a frequent basis. Also helps keep the fuel bill to a minimum since I use it to primarily run the residential refrigerator and one AC unit. I recently ran the Honda for 4-days at Dover, DE, while boondocking and consumed about 10 gallons of fuel during that period. Only time the generator was off was to cool briefly to refuel and restart. Topped it off each morning and evening during the stay.

If I need to run the convection, water heater, and/or second AC, I'll run up the Onan for as long as needed for the additional power draw. Coach cools down quickly with both ACs running, and once it's down to a reasonable temp, I shut off the bedroom AC and just run the one in the main living area with a tower fan placed in the hallway to pull air into the bedroom. Having the onboard is also nice when we do a short stop overnight. No need to unpack the gas generator, just go in and start up the Onan for the night.

Guess the decision will boil down to how much you really need the additional power, how much your willing to spend, and how much your willing to lift out of the truck. Good luck on the choice.

Thanks for those links.

I will look into that. I would think we would be able to take along some extra fuel jugs and refill if needed. Not to worried about that. I am guessing I will need something around 7500 or 8000, if i were to have to run everything. But also quiet so I don't upset my fellow RV'ers or race fans. I looked at that Onan quiet diesel 7500, but that thing weighs over 400lbs. Id kill myself lifting it in and out of my pick up. Ha.

Thanks to all of you for your input! Hope to see you all around the campgrounds! :)

Grey Ghost

I run with two 2000 Champions I bought on e-bay for about $350.00 each and have never had a problem. Running them jointly I can run my air with no problems, however I usually run with just one and have enough for all the wives stuff and still run the coffee pot and tv in the morning. Much cheaper than Honda or Yamaha and just as good so far, had them for a couple of years now and still running good. I think you can still pick them up on e-bay. They were reconditioned, but run very good!:cool:

porthole

Retired
I run a Honda 3000Is and also have the backup of Onan LP generator on my Landmark. Works out quite useful since the Honda is small enough to maneuver around and use on a frequent basis. Also helps keep the fuel bill to a minimum since I use it to primarily run the residential refrigerator and one AC unit. I recently ran the Honda for 4-days at Dover, DE, while boondocking and consumed about 10 gallons of fuel during that period. Only time the generator was off was to cool briefly to refuel and restart. Topped it off each morning and evening during the stay.

If I need to run the convection, water heater, and/or second AC, I'll run up the Onan for as long as needed for the additional power draw. Coach cools down quickly with both ACs running, and once it's down to a reasonable temp, I shut off the bedroom AC and just run the one in the main living area with a tower fan placed in the hallway to pull air into the bedroom. Having the onboard is also nice when we do a short stop overnight. No need to unpack the gas generator, just go in and start up the Onan for the night.

Guess the decision will boil down to how much you really need the additional power, how much your willing to spend, and how much your willing to lift out of the truck. Good luck on the choice.

Did you have some shade?

I used 47 gallons for 5 days. Honda 3000 at night and the Onan during the day. Needed both AC's for a good part of the day. The Honda inverter gen must be losing some of it's ability. 1 AC and water heater or coffee pot on was the most it would do, and then only with the eco mode off.

Where at Dover? We were about 150 yards from turn 1.

EPaulikonis

We were not in the shade, just an open farm field, but I wasn't running the AC all day either. Majority of the time the generator was only running the refrigerator and a fan or two in Eco mode. We'd wait until 8:00PM to close up all the windows, start the Onan, run both AC units to get the coach down to 70F, and then I'd shut off the bedroom AC and put one fan in the hallway to pull cool air into the bedroom and go back to the Honda in Eco. Only time I had an issue with the generator handling the inrush current when the AC compressor kicked on was when there was something else plugged in and running besides the refrigerator and one fan. This was primarily happening on the first night when I had a second trailer plugged into the 120V outlet on the Honda and I was plugged into the 30Amp circuit. The guy who was borrowing some power had a CPAP machine and a fan running all night.

I also run the generator at full speed, after some learning occurred, when cooking in the morning; every time the flattop cooker would heat, the generator would kick off in Eco mode. So I had the flattop running, a tower fan, the Fantastic roof vent, and the refrigerator going with Eco mode OFF for breakfast prep. AC unit was turned off and all windows were open once everyone was awake. Also moved the coffee pot operation to an adjacent rig that also had a Honda 3000 running. Figured that device and the skillet running at the same time would have been too much power draw, but never tried it out or checked the labels.

We stay outside of turn 1 & 2 across the highway. This is probably the last year the place will be privately owned. Hear the track bought it up and plans to use it for chunkin' punkin's at some point in the future. Stinks since we had 5-rigs in a square setup with nobody else near us. There was two lines of rigs totaling 10 coaches about 45 yards away along the tree line, but it beat the heck out of the 2' distance between rigs in the track's Lots.

Oregon_Camper

.... Driving down the road with anything running off the propane can cause you a HUGE fine if you get caught.

Is this a law in NC? There is no such law in Oregon. If the flame ever goes out, the circuit board turns off the propane flow. I'd rather police crack down on all the knuckle-heads STILL texting and talking on their phones while driving.

tomhank

Take note of the wattage ratings for all the appliances and devices in your trailer that you anticipate running simultaneously. This information can typically be found on labels or in the owner's manual of each device.
Calculate the total power needed: Add up the running wattage of all the devices you plan to power simultaneously, and include the highest surge wattage from any of those devices. This total will give you the minimum wattage capacity required for your generator.