Best Way to Buy?

LanceR

My wife and I are smitten with the Sundance 3400, but we are wary of the buying/negotiating experience. The dealer we visited was insistent about selling the one on the lot before taking an order for what we wanted. To be honest, we probably don't really know what we want although we have some ideas about what we don't want. Will somebody help us figure out how to go about this? Between interior decor and electrical options, we are a bit lost and don't feel like the dealer has our interest in mind. Thanks!

DocFather

My wife and I are smitten with the Sundance 3400, but we are wary of the buying/negotiating experience. The dealer we visited was insistent about selling the one on the lot before taking an order for what we wanted. To be honest, we probably don't really know what we want although we have some ideas about what we don't want. Will somebody help us figure out how to go about this? Between interior decor and electrical options, we are a bit lost and don't feel like the dealer has our interest in mind. Thanks!

If you feel this, then you are definitely on the right path. The Dealer is out for what is best for them, especially when pondering inventory vs. new orders, but you should be better off when dealing with inventory.

MTPockets

DO NOT BELIEVE AN RV SALESMAN! Having said that; go in with what you want and don't waver. That goes for unit, options, and price. If dealer is discouraging a factory order, go to a different dealer. We shopped dealers from Indiana to Florida and did a factory order when we were fully satisfied.

danemayer

Hi LanceR,

Dealers always seem to prefer to sell the unit on the lot, but should be willing to place an order for a unit exactly the way you want. What you need to do is let them clearly know that they can sell one more unit if they will place an order, or one less unit if they refuse. Be prepared to walk away. If you have to, you can buy long distance and make a trip out of picking up the new trailer. You may have to find an independent service location if you don't buy locally because some dealers use service as a lever to get you to do what they want. But as many of us will tell you, you're often better off dealing with an independent service shop because they make their living off of good service. Heartland is pretty good about authorizing non-dealers to do warranty service, but you do need to get prior authorization.

You'll need to figure out exactly how you want the trailer configured. Here's a link to the Sundance MSRP post where you can see the various options that are available and the list price for each.

Some options may be more interesting than others. Unless you live and camp in a cool climate, you probably can't buy too much air conditioning. If you camp in cold climates, an electric fireplace is really nice to have.

Let me suggest you take a look at the available options. Feel free to ask opinions about any of them.

Westwind

There are RV shows out there and I would definitely see if you can find the floor plan you want, the spend time in it thinking about where you would put everything you would need to enjoy yourself. Sit on the couch, chairs and check out the storage etc. Remember, while on a vacation you can get stuck inside for a day or two and you want to be comfortable.
We traveled 4 hours to buy our FW. But we did buy off the lot. Try to see if you can find one on a dealers lot and try to get price on it in order to compare it to a ordered unit price.

silvasp

Check for AAA or Costco discounts. AAA says up to about 25% off (at Giant RV)
But if you're good at haggling you should be able to get a good deal. If they won't come down as much as you'd like, ask for extras they can throw in...

Jim Posz

We bought our 2007 3300SK Sundance in January 2008, and traded it in for a 2014 Sundance 3310CL in October 2014. We saved fairly serious money by buying a previous years model off the lot both times. Having said this, getting a good deal on something you don't really like is not a good deal. We bought from a reputable dealer about 2 hours away from home.

chiefneon

Howdy!

Before we purchased our Cyclone 4000 last year I did alot of research on them. We could not find anything on the lot we wanted and new we would have to order it to get what we wanted. The very best price I came up with was a RV discount seller out of Ohio. With that information We also looked at Camping World and low and behold they were willing to match the price. We orderd it that day only option we did not get was and outside TV. We are not by any means great fans of Camping World but they did work with us and we got a great deal. Bottom line is do you research and know what you want and don't EVER let a sales person talk you in to anything less.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

donr827

DO NOT BELIEVE AN RV SALESMAN! Having said that; go in with what you want and don't waver. That goes for unit, options, and price. If dealer is discouraging a factory order, go to a different dealer. We shopped dealers from Indiana to Florida and did a factory order when we were fully satisfied.

X2 for sure.
Don

Wharton

When you look at the floor plan make sure you can get to the bathroom and refriig with the slides in. Also, there are deep discounters in the RV world, you should be able to get a 25% discount from MSRP easily. You may need to travel. Also, if you feel you will need to go back to the dealer for repairs check RVservicereviews.com. Generally, all the dealers want to do is sell and not service, you hear about months of waiting when having a dealer service. There are independent repair services available if needed, they are in the business of doing repairs, just make sure Heartland approves the repair first.

With that said, we have never had to go back to the dealer with our rig for any repair. Just be aware.

Regarding what options to order, if you have a question about them just ask. Also, if available for your trailer and you order from the factory order Goodyear G614 tires to come with the trailer.

Oregon_Camper

We went to the local RV show...talked to the Heartland Rep and saved $$$$$$$$.

I had a quote from Lakeshore RV in Michigan and saved thousands by asking them to match the price...and they did!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Download the MSRP....add up all the options you want....subtract 25% from that...then go make your deal. Just make sure you get the 2nd A/C and GY G 614 tires. If Giant wont work with you....find an other dealer. Their service after sales is suspect at best. Temecula Valley RV is a HL approved warrenty station and they only service trailers...no sales.

LanceR

Download the MSRP....add up all the options you want....subtract 25% from that...then go make your deal. Just make sure you get the 2nd A/C and GY G 614 tires. If Giant wont work with you....find an other dealer. Their service after sales is suspect at best. Temecula Valley RV is a HL approved warrenty station and they only service trailers...no sales.
Thank you for the advice! We fell in love with the Sundance 3400 at a GiantRV dealership, but they were really pushing the rig on the lot. It had options we don't want and didn't have options we do want. Thanks to this forum now I have an idea of how to approach them to get my dream RV just the way I'd like it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Giant RV makes up "THEIR" own MSRP's and can have a much as $20K profit packed into it. They want you to buy the stock unit to save them money. Ordering a unit costs them nothing except what the salesman makes. Like I said, if they wont order want you want....go somewhere else and tell the salesman that is why you are leaving. You owe a salesman nothing....the ball is in your court. Send me a PM with your PH# and I can walk you through this whole thing.

ManDak

We looked at a lot of fifth wheels before deciding on our Sundance 3300 CK. Different brands, different floor plans. We went to dealers the best way I found to compare them was to see them all together at a rv/leisure show. And we did this multiple times and seeing them basically side by side really helped to see the quality and value of the sundance compared to others priced the same and higher priced units. The Sundance fifth wheel was also our upgrade from a Wildwood TT and after 4 summers in it I knew exactly what I wanted to upgrade to. Larger pantry space, kitchen work space, lock on the bathroom door, move around room in the bedroom and a self contained bunkroom for the kids and all there mess to be contained in, etc etc... We looked at the exact same unit at a rv show at our state fair but we ended up finding the exact same unit from a dealer close to the manufacture in Indiana and had it shipped up to us that was considerably less in price than the dealer we talked to. Although we do like to buy local the dealer with the unit we liked a the show was still 5 hours from us and we checked at dealers closer to our area (still 2 hours away) and although they sold heartland brands, did not have the sundance we wanted on their lot - nor seemed truly interested in getting us one in. I guess time will tell if it was a good idea or not purchasing from out of state. Apparently, any warranty work can be done at a local heartland dealer so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that we don't have any major issues down the road. We owned our previous TT from brand new and never had a problem that required warranty work. And, even though we bought it local, when the day came that my husband required info in regards to a issue with a generator hook-up and called the local dealer that we purchased it from they were less than helpful because we had bought it from that dealership and it had changed ownership since then and consolidated with a jayco dealer and they not helpful. So, I don't take much stock of dealers interest after that and purchase from where we feel we get what we want and at a good price.

brianlajoie

You should consider looking on line for existing models. The 2016's are coming out, so the 2015's need to be moved. Look at RVT or RVtrader to see what comparable trailers are going for. I bought the prior year trailer on line and pushed for 40% off MSRP. Make sure you have a very detailed PDI check list. Happy hunting.