Converter hums

popngram

We purchased a 2015 Savannah in June, 2014. After 3 months the converter began a high-pitched hum, and the dealer replaced from a Savannah on the lot. After several months this converter also began to hum...but not constantly. Has anyone had problems with the converter? What does the hum mean? We are full-time RVers, and I would prefer to not wait until the converter fails. Thanks for your input.

jimtoo

Hi popngram,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I don't think I have heard of many or any complaints about the converter humming. But you might call Heartland and check with them. Be sure and have your VIN when you call.

Also check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Keep us informed as to outcome.

Jim M

Moved thread to better area.

jnbhobe

After about 5yrs mine started to hummm, its not too loud but it's there and still works right.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I am aware of 2 (one was mine) that started humming when the batteries were going bad.

New batteries cured the noise.

Have you checked water level on your battery(s)?

jnbhobe

I am aware of 2 (one was mine) that started humming when the batteries were going bad.

New batteries cured the noise.

Have you checked water level on your battery(s)?

Good info !! My batteries seem good but I am due for new ones, maybe I'll put new ones in and see if the hummm stops.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well....if it hums....maybe it don't know the words.
There is a small fan in the converter. It will run when it starts getting hot.
I guess that it depends on how loud the hum is whether or not the converter is bad.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Other possibility might be crud in the fan intake grill or how it's secured. Although we don't full time, my rig is plugged in from May to October and hasn't had a converter problem since we got it. Understand that periodically, it does go into Boost mode when it detects the battery needs charging. If you notice your 12V lighting suddenly getting brighter and then dimming after awhile, that's what it's doing. With a Charge Wizard pendant, you can tell by the LED indicator what the converter (if it's a Progressive Dynamics) is doing.

popngram

Thanks for the info. Water level in battery is checked monthly, but we will watch it closely. I'm sure that it isnot the cooling fan making the noise...as we've heard that many times in 20+ years of RVing.