Landmark VS Bighorn

We currently have a hybrid and have just started looking at 5ers for retirement. That won't happen for another couple years but we've started our homework early. We went to a local RV show recently and liked the Bighorn 3670RL and 3580RL. Looks like alot of quality, value, and features for the $.

I went on Heartlands' site and saw the Landmark series (didn't see any at the show). The Augusta and Pinecrest floorplans are very similar to the 3670 and 3580. I haven't yet done a line by line comparison between the two series, that's part of the homework we still have to do. My question is, did any of you first look at the Bighorns and ended up purchasing a Landmark? If so I would be very interested in knowing why.

Thanks,
Gary

creeper

I saw them and wouldn't let the wife in one, had she gone in one it would have been the end for me. I would need a bigger truck and since mine is brand new it wasn't an option.

sealman

I had the same issues as Creeper....I started out looking for a used TT, and after 2 weeks of looking and DW's friends saying yiu need a 5er, and you will not be happy without slideouts. I had to put my foot down sometime. I love that woman.
John

jpmorgan37

We started looking at Bighorns in November of 2005 and had pretty much made up our minds that this was what we were going to get. The dealer asked us if we had been in a new SOB and we said no, looked at it and wasn't interested, although it was a higher line 5th wheel. He than said, well you should at least look at the Landmark. We did and that was it. The Bighorn was no longer an option and we ordered our (now classic) Grand Canyon and have not regretted it for one minute.

John

Last edited:

Delaine and Lindy

Wiscampsin, if funny you ask this question. About a month ago DW and I put money down on a Big Horn 3600RL. And went the 4th of Feb to bring the Big Horn home. We got to the Dealership and they were preping a Landmark on each side of our Big Horn. DW went inside of the Pine hurst and the Augusta and looked at both floor plans. We just thought it would be out of our budget. While we were closing on the Big Horn, DW ask how much more the Landmark Augusta would cost. To our amazement the qoute wasn't that much more than the Bighorn, and in a nano second DW said we want a Landmark Augusta. The Dealer had one left out of 5 he had now sold 5 Landmarks in 4 days.

As for the difference, larger LCD Tv's, counter tops, 4 door fridge W/icemaker and all the appliance's match. Also you can control the slides one at a time instead of just one button that controls all. And the Landmark comes with the Goodyear LT 235/85R16 tires. Which is a great option, they aren't made in China. I was in the process of ordering Goodyears for the Bighorn at a out of pocket cost of over a $1,000. I suggest you go and take a look at both 5ers and then you can decide which is best for you. It was the options that changed our minds and the cost. Good Luck... GBY....

ChopperBill

Glad this was brought up. We are kinda, sorta, looking an different fivers. A friend of our just purchased an Augusta. We didnt really fall in love with it. Outside of having fluorescent lights and Cherry wood cabinets what is the difference between it and a Bighorn 3670? (haven't got to see the 3670 up close and personal) Sorry we dont like the dark wood as we think our Oak and Camel suede interior in our present 3055 is a lot more cheery. It just felt like we were closed up with the dark interior. (can you get Landmarks in Oak?) The Augusta even had the same day/night shades as in our 3 year older unit. (sorry again, as compared to our friends SOB are pretty poor offerings) I saw no difference in the quality of our Bighorn inside or outside compared to the Landmark. (Now I am defending my Bighorn ;) ) The Augusta has an Olivia TV. Not there may be something wrong with them but the Bighorns have the same offerings. I think the Landmarks use to have Sony's as there standard. I know the Landmarks chopped a bunch off the MSRP and hope no one takes offense to my post but outside of a few do-dads what am I missing here?

jbeletti

Bill,

Heartland has not used Sony TVs. Wish they did. Olevia is also unable to supply the amount of sets needed, hence a move to using Jensen for the near term.

You're right, Landmark isn't everyone's cup of tea. That's why Heartland has about 8 lines of trailers. Hopefully something for everyone.

FWIW, a few items I can recall that make LM different from BH (this is not comprehensive):

1. Cherry vs. Oak
  2. Stainless Appliances
  3. Larger Microwave/Convection
  4. Upgraded Carpet
  5. Higher UV Protection in Reflective Windows
  6. Soft Touch Vinyl Ceiling
  7. Larger TV (I believe)
  8. Upgrade Surround Processor (I believe)
  9. Stainless Steel Sink with Stainless finish pull-out Sprayer
  10. Gel Coat Standard
  11. Half Body Paint
  12. Load Range G Tires / Goodyear
  13. 50 Amp Cord Built-In on Power Reel
  14. Track Lighting in Kitchen

Again, this is not comprehensive. There are many more differences. And I grant you, some of these are unimportant to some people. To have it as a trailer that can be purchased vs. being a hole in the line-up is a good thing.

All that said, Bighorn is an awesome product and remains the mainstay of Heartland's 5er line-up.

slaytop

When I first looked at the Landmark vs. BigHorn there was a greater distinction in the two designs. Since the BigHorn outsold the Landmark, the Landmark has been changed and the BigHorn upgraded purposely for better pricing and to make the two models easier to produce on the same assembly line. I may be corrected, but I see the Landmark as a BigHorn with a premium package. If that is an incorrect assessment, I would like to hear it.

Delaine and Lindy

We also had a problem with the cherry, we have had two with Oak and one with Maple. But after being in the Bighorn and then going into the Landmark, the Cherry grew on us. And there are many difference in the two. I didn't mention two of the most important being the individual slide buttons, and the electric reel for the 50amp cable. I do agree the day night shades aren't at the top of my list. We hadn't been inside a Landmark and when you put them side by side you can see and feel the difference. Yes the Tv is larger and its a Jensen, haven't owned a Jensen. We have two Samsungs in our stick house a 46" and a 40" full HD, 1080P and sure wish thats what we had in the Landmark. Its possible there will be one in the Landmark before long. There are some thing we had in our Cambridge I wish we had in the Landmark, but the MSRP on the Cambridge was $84,500 and we payed a lot less for the Landmark. I think we will be happy with our Landmark, and I'm sure the Bighorn would have been fine, but this is America and we are blessed to make different decisions. GBY....

ChopperBill

Bill,

Heartland has not used Sony TVs. Wish they did. Olevia is also unable to supply the amount of sets needed, hence a move to using Jensen for the near term.

You're right, Landmark isn't everyone's cup of tea. That's why Heartland has about 8 lines of trailers. Hopefully something for everyone.

FWIW, a few items I can recall that make LM different from BH (this is not comprehensive):

1. Cherry vs. Oak
  2. Stainless Appliances
  3. Larger Microwave/Convection
  4. Upgraded Carpet
  5. Higher UV Protection in Reflective Windows
  6. Soft Touch Vinyl Ceiling
  7. Larger TV (I believe)
  8. Upgrade Surround Processor (I believe)
  9. Stainless Steel Sink with Stainless finish pull-out Sprayer
  10. Gel Coat Standard
  11. Half Body Paint
  12. Load Range G Tires / Goodyear
  13. 50 Amp Cord Built-In on Power Reel
  14. Track Lighting in Kitchen

Again, this is not comprehensive. There are many more differences. And I grant you, some of these are unimportant to some people. To have it as a trailer that can be purchased vs. being a hole in the line-up is a good thing.

All that said, Bighorn is an awesome product and remains the mainstay of Heartland's 5er line-up.

This is fun :)
We really like oak better.
Renee REALLY likes the Oak doors on our fridge.
After my friends moved in their Augusta the "up graded" carpet looked pretty dirty and they mentioned and were pretty disapointed. Ours is 2 years old and looks like new. Looks GREAT!
Ceiling looked GREAT. Thought the BH's had that in the new ones.
Olivia TV's are pretty cheap right now. Landmark had some kind of upgraded TV, sorry I got the name wrong.
We have a pull out sprayer. Like I said we are not that fond of stainless sinks. One came in my tract home 25 years ago. Thought they went out in the 80's
Gel coat, cant argue that, it should be standard on everything.
Body paint: Not a deal maker.
Goodyear tires, a big improvement, but I am a Michelin fan.
50 amp cord on a reel, haven't been able to use 50 amps since we bought it and have neat adapter to make into 30 amp and it goes right to my generator. (yep I is a boon docker :D )
Track lighting and rope lights around the bottom of the cabinets. Fru-foo that we have never had and its not a deal maker.

OK so whats the price difference between the 3670,loaded, and the Augusta, loaded. I don't want to be corralled by a salesman. :eek:

Now did I mention I dont want anyone to take offense? None :D

Thanks all for your time and input. There isn't a Landmark dealer in Wisconsin according to Heartlands dealer search page so it's not possible for us to do a side by side comparison. That's why I value all your responses. I wonder if by time we finish tricking out a Bighorn to our liking, adding the Goodyear tires, Gel coat, and other options what the cost comparison would be. Looks like more homework:).

ChopperBill

Thanks all for your time and input. There isn't a Landmark dealer in Wisconsin according to Heartlands dealer search page so it's not possible for us to do a side by side comparison. That's why I value all your responses. I wonder if by time we finish tricking out a Bighorn to our liking, adding the Goodyear tires, Gel coat, and other options what the cost comparison would be. Looks like more homework:).
Wiscampsin, It wont belong before you will find plenty of Landmarks. With the new pricing structure they will be in hot demand.

Delaine and Lindy

Price difference in the Bighorn 3600RL and the Landmark Augusta was $6,000 dollars.... The MSRP on the Landmark was $*****. I will know the exact MSRP in a few days, waiting on the MSO so we can get the title for the Landmark. GBY........

See you all in Branson........

Last edited by a moderator:

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Comparison Shopping?

Landmark vs. Bighorn, hmmm...let's see. :rolleyes:

Being an electrician, guess I could modify my Cyclone a bit...wire in some solenoids and switches to individualize my slide control, maybe then an electric cord reel for the big 50A cord. I could add some track lighting throughout and possibly a ceiling fan, change the tires to Goodyear.

Already have a stainless sink & sprayer, speakers outside, a generator, security cam & monitor, washer/dryer, beverage cooler, central vac, heated tanks, electric queen bunks, and 1-1/2 baths...:cool:

Gosh, pretty much loaded down. :D

Oh yeah, I have a 12' garage, too - for the Harley Davidson! :p

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Well...I kind of compare the Bighorn versus the Landmark to the Ford versus the Mercury. You can get a Crown Victoria or a Mercury Marquis. What is the difference? The Mercury has more bells and whistles than the Ford but you pay more money for it. Same thing as the Bighorn and Landmark. If you want/need the bells and whistles then you need the Landmark. Personally I like the bells and whistles like when I got my 07 the Landmark had an automatic remote controlled awning and the Bighorn had a manual awning. They both do the same thing it is slightly more work with the manual while the automatic I can be drinking a cool one while putting out or in the awning...etc etc.....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Does anyone have an MSRP sheet (like the one done for the BH) on the Landmark Augusta they can share?

We are looking at upgrading and thought we wanted BH 3670 but after all the extras we wanted on it, seems like we should just bite the bullet and go with a Landmark Augusta. Need some help with the numbers though so we know how better to strike a deal we can live with!!! PM us if you want to give us some numbers that can't be posted in the forum.

Going to try to get to Longmont, CO dealer this weekend and see an Augusta there.

Appreciate your input.

You will probably have to just talk to your dealer and maybe another one. I found a $10000 difference in 2 dealers on the same Landmark model. It all depends on the dealer. I made my deal over the telephone sight unseen after looking at the Landmark model locally. The selling dealer faxed me the factory invoice (without prices) so I knew of the addons such as the 2nd air conditioner that we wanted and bang the deal was made. Shop Shop Shop...is my advise....the closest dealer may not always be your best bet.

cjbearden

Visitor
Thanks, Jim, for the sage advise. We will definitely be doing some shopping. Too big of a purchase not to do so. Both of us are getting spoiled in our old age and we like them 'bells and whistles', especially anything remote or 'automatic'! Have a cool one for us at the Rally and don't give Belleti too hard a time. On second thought, give him heck!:D

Hope to see everyone next year back in Goshen (hopefully pulling that new rig):eek: