RW305 & 2014 2500 hd

ajk3

I know weight questions never end. We currently have a 2013 3065w windjammer Rockwood. We are looking at toy haulers. My current truck is a 14' chevy 2500hd 6.0 liter w 4:10 gears and tire size is 265/60/18. Is a rw305 in the realm of possibilities. I could change springs and leafs to make it a 3500 but on paper it would still be a 2500 thoughts?

GMCaddic

I don't think you have enough motor to pull a RW305.

I agree Your truck will pull it but I think a diesel would be better off with that trailer
I had a 2000 gmc 6.0 I pulled a 27' 5er on flat roads no problem but it was lacking power pulling hills gvws on that 5er was about 10'600 .
. Your 6.0 will work it's heart out and suck the gas down also. Your suspension on that truck is good as long as you put air springs on it
But like I said with a diesel you would be better off with power and fuel mileage.

Mark-Mullin

I would say you have more than enough truck and motor to pull that trailer.Depending on the mileage you drive diesel trucks do not pay for the additional 10,000.00 I have to pay for a diesel I can put a lot of gas in my truck. I have a 6.2 gas and pull more weight than that. Just my opinion of course!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OEFVET

As most others already stated, you could tow it with your 2500HD but it will be working your engine and trans hard. In my opinion, a diesel would be best.

danemayer

My current truck is a 14' chevy 2500hd 6.0 liter w 4:10 gears and tire size is 265/60/18. Is a rw305 in the realm of possibilities.

Hi ajk3,

There are 2 specs you need to be concerned with: horizontal load (5th wheel towing capacity), and vertical load (payload).

The RW305 has a GVWR of 15,500 and you can plan on the pin weight running around 20% of that, or 3,100 lbs. In addition to the pin weight, add the weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tool box, tools, firewood, pets, passengers, and anything else in the truck. You could easily need a payload of around 4,000 lbs. And of course the towing capacity should be at least 15,500.

If you look inside the driver's door frame on your truck, you'll probably find a label that shows the truck payload, which on your 2500 is probably between 2,500 and 3,200 lbs. So you'll come up way short on payload. Maybe you can mitigate this to some degree with add-ons.

You need to look up the 5th wheel towing capacity of the truck. Fifth Wheel Safe Towing is a good place to start. Your 5th wheel towing capacity is probably in the 14,000 lb range.

Gas engines develop maximum power at high RPM (diesels at lower RPM). Think about climbing hills, merging into traffic on interstates. Your engine will be screaming like a Tundra pulling a Space Shuttle. Can you do it? Maybe. Good idea? Maybe not. Safe? Well, that's why you want to visit Fifth Wheel Safe Towing.

Jim.Allison

If exceeded, one will break your springs, blow out your tires, and lift your front wheels off the ground, The other will twist your driveshaft off, or cause you to run into stuff in front of you. Easy!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Get out your owners manual. Find "your" truck and read the specs. I bet your not even close to being legal. A 2014 2500HD D/A C/C is rated at 17200# for a 5er. My truck is not here now otherwise I would look your truck up. But would need more info about it. L/B..S/B...C/C...etc,etc. BTW, A Duramax/Allison combo is $7K not $10K.

ILH

Get out your owners manual. Find "your" truck and read the specs. I bet your not even close to being legal. A 2014 2500HD D/A C/C is rated at 17200# for a 5er. My truck is not here now otherwise I would look your truck up. But would need more info about it. L/B..S/B...C/C...etc,etc. BTW, A Duramax/Allison combo is $7K not $10K.

It might be $7K in the US, but here in Canada good old GM charges us $10K for the option.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ian, I guess you and Mark both live in Canada. Maybe its the exchange rate in $$$ between the 2 countries. You both could move to the USA. LOL

ILH

Ian, I guess you and Mark both live in Canada. Maybe its the exchange rate in $$$ between the 2 countries. You both could move to the USA. LOL

Notwithstanding that the CDN dollar has taken a nosedive in the last few months, even when it was at par with the US dollar, all of the big three vehicle manufacturers have charged much more for vehicles sold in Canada - it has been the subject of much debate over the last decade.

mobilcastle

The 6.0 motor from Chevy is a great motor but the 5ver weight is heavy and would tow better with a diesel 3500. IMHO Good luck.

Gimpy

I just bought a 2013 305RW and hauled it on an 8 hour plus trip from NC to KY. I have a 2004 and a half (external injectors) Duramax 2500 Crew Cab, Air Lift air bags, and it pulled great. I had a 6.0 gasser silverado 2500 and pulled a smaller toyhauler 5 years ago and it struggled. Going to this size of trailer or larger, you need a diesel.

Last edited: