Trail Air - Air ride hitch - worth the $$?

co4me

I have a 2005 Golden Gate - it's one of the early ones that didn't have the Trail Air - Air ride hitch as a standard feature. I can get one from Trail Air for $930 installed. I'm pulling my Landmark with a 2003 Dodge 2500 short bed, Cummins HO, and have airbags.

My last 5th wheel just had a standard pin hitch so I've never experienced the Trail Air. Does it improve the ride in both the truck and the trailer? Is it worth the investment?

Thanks,

Bill

Racerguy

In my opinion absolutely! I have a Monticello and pull it with a Silverado Duramax Dually Extended cab long bed,soooo, the ride is great. When we arrive at our site everything is still in place.

Racerguy

BluegrassMan

Is the Trail Air worth it ?

Hi All:
IMHO, definately YES ! I feel that the ride is better especially on the joints in the cement on our Interstate. I look back in my mirror and I can see the hitch articulating smoothly on the air bag.

Keep in mind that there is a regular pin box and an extended one ! ( This is the one that Heartland is using, the extended one). I'd rather have the regular because it fits right under the box. Your 5ver sits closer to the cab. If you have a SHORT bed, you would need the extended model.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
I have had air ride hitch on my past 5th wheel and now have air ride on my Bighorn as well. I would not do with out the air ride. We have a smother ride in the pickup and it saves alot of problems later on for the front end of the camper also. The bumps and jerks will not be all gone, but it well be a much nicer ride than what you have now. Everthing in side well stay put also if you do not stop too fast or turn corners too fast also. The air ride well not do much for that kind of driving. It would be a purchase if I were doing it. Evans & Lana

co4me

Trail Air hitch

Thanks to all of you who replied to my question about the Trail Air - Air ride hitch. Looks like I will probably be buying one soon.

Thanks,

Bill

merlinb

Retired
Mor/ryde Rubber Pin Box

Hi All,

I would like to suggest another option you may want to take a look at. First of all, I want to be sure we are on the same sheet of music. The original question asked about "Trail Air" and then said, "air ride hitch." Then some responders also said they have an "air ride hitch." Just to clarify, Trailair does not make an "air ride hitch." They make an "air ride pin box coupler." They also make the "Center Point Suspension" system but that is another issue. An "air ride hitch" is something like the "Trailer Saver" or "Easy Rider" hitches that mount in the back of your truck and provide air cushion dampening on both the vertical and longitudinal axes.

I will assume what you all are talking about is the "air ride pin box" and try to share some experience I have had with them. The first Landmark trailer I pulled had the Mor/ryde suspension but did not have a Trailair pinbox. The ride in the truck was much smoother because the suspension absorbed the vertical bumps so the trailer did not transfer as much bumping to the truck as one without the Mor/ryde suspension. I was very impressed with how much the ride in the truck was improved. Later, I pulled a Landmark that had both the Mor/ryde suspension and a Trailair pin box. I could not tell that the air ride pin box provided any significant improvement in the ride in the truck. You can watch the rear view mirror and see it flexing in the vertical axis and understand that it must be providing a better ride in the front end of the trailer. In fact, Racerguy stated above, "When we arrive at our site everything is still in place." And I think he is talking about the inside of the trailer. But, I don't ride in the trailer.

My biggest irritation with the ride in the truck has always been the fore and aft (longitudinal) jerking or "chucking" as some call it. I have a 36 foot fiver and I have pulled it to Colorado and back three times and it just beats me to death on the rough interstates such as the WV Turnpike, some places in KY, IN, and IL where they have those giant cracks between the segments of pavement. I have driven some of these same interstates with trailers that had air ride pin boxes and I honestly could not feel much improvement in the longitudinal jerking. I also once pulled a 35 foot Potomac from Elkhart to Monroe, NC, that had "The Isolator" brand of air ride pin box installed and I was very disappointed with it. I could not feel any difference in the ride compared to a solid pin box. BTW, Heartland is installing "The Isolator" on some of their Landmarks now. In fact, if you look at the Trailair product test report on their web site, at the bottom of the right hand column they have some graphs which address only vertical dampening. In the paragraph above they have one sentence about "fore and aft oscillations" which doesn't really say anything because there is no data to support it.

Trailair Product Test Report

Anyway, after I saw a picture of the Mor/ryde "Rubber Pin Box" I went to the factory in Elkhart and looked at one in person and talked to a satisfied user who was there also. I ordered one for my trailer and installed it last spring. I just returned from my latest trip to CO and back, about 4,200 miles, and I have to tell you I am very pleased with the improved ride in my truck. I drove over the same roads as the first two trips and I never had the sharp longitudinal jerking that I experienced the first two times. When the road is rough, I still feel some fore and aft motion but it is a gentle rocking motion adn not the sharp jerking. Bottom line? I can highly recommend the Mor/ryde rubber pin box if you are looking to improve the ride in your truck. Mine cost $795.00 and I feel it is one of the best improvements I have made to my trailer.

Mor/ryde Rubber Pin Box

Full disclosure: I have no financial or other interest in Mor/ryde. Just a satisfied user.

KansasK

What about the trailer saver hitch? Do you know if it takes care of the chucking or longitudal motion? Will it work with a trailair pinbox, or will they "fight" each other? Dealers have told me various things. Do you know of anything better? I am a newbie just shopping for my first rig and want to do it right the first time. Thanks for your help.

co4me

Hi KansasK,

I had posted this question back in June 2005. I did go ahead and purchase the air ride pin box and it definitely helps with the up and down motion and some of the chucking.

I noticed you said you were about to purchase a 5th wheel. I have a really nice 2005 Landmark Golden Gate for sale. Let me know if you would like more information.

Bill