Warranty Inspections - do you actually get this done/how much should it cost?

jrzygrl64

Hello again!

It is time for us to be thinking about getting our 2014 Landmark inspected, so our warranty isn't voided. I called Heartland and got the names of some places to get it done in the area where we currently are. The first place I called, La Mesa in Sarasota FL, said they never had anyone call to schedule one and had no idea what the charge me. She is getting back to me after she calls Heartland to find out what is required. Not feeling very confident about it.

I also called Lazy Days in Seffner and they knew about it but said it is $260! (2 hours at $129 per hour) OUCH!

Does this sound right to you guys? Have any of you had this done? Bill read what they are supposed to inspect and feels there is NO WAY they will need 2 hours for that, and he wants to be present for it so he can spend the 2 hours and make sure he gets his money's worth.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Kelly

OEFVET

When I picked up my rig and looked at and actually read most manuals. I found the checklist I believe you are referring to. The inspection is not required to be done at a dealer. Just like performing scheduled inspections on your tow vehicle. What you will need to do is provide proof that the inspections were in fact performed. If you have the checklist for your rig and would rather perform the checks yourself, video tape the inspection process. That is what I plan on doing when performing my inspections.

danemayer

When I picked up my rig and looked at and actually read most manuals. I found the checklist I believe you are referring to. The inspection is not required to be done at a dealer. Just like performing scheduled inspections on your tow vehicle. What you will need to do is provide proof that the inspections were in fact performed. If you have the checklist for your rig and would rather perform the checks yourself, video tape the inspection process. That is what I plan on doing when performing my inspections.

Looking at the 2014 Landmark Owners Manual, it very clearly says (emphasis added):

"At the owner’s expense, yearly inspections are required in order to qualify for the five (5) year structural warranty. Failure to have an authorized dealer perform the annual inspections will result in invalidation of the limited five (5) year structural warranty. The inspection form is found on pages 7 and 8 ."

The actual inspection can be divided into 2 parts. First, a climb up on the roof to inspect, and a walk around to inspect the rest of the items. I can't imagine that the inspection would take more than 15 minutes, plus another 15 minutes for paperwork. The second part would be caulking, sealing, and repairing any items needing attention.

I would ask the dealer to separate the charges. The first part ought to reflect the minimal time at the dealers hourly rate. The 2nd part, which may not be required every year should be charged based on actual time and materials. And of course, if you do a pre-inspection and correct any problems in advance, there should be no charge for the 2nd part.

mikeandconnie

It's a simple inspection. Mainly checking the sealant on your rig. You need to get the form from Heartland and make sure the dealer sign it and keep a copy for yourself. My rig was in good shape and only needed some roof sealant. However, 2 weeks later my cooling unit went out on my fridge and I was glade I had the inspection done because the inspection keeped me under the full warranty. Heartland did ask me for the completed form. My rig was one of the first with the 2 year warranty so lot of dealers and HL customer services reps was not aware of the change and I had to explain it to many. My total cost was around 200 bucks, but the cooling unit would have cost me much more.

danemayer

However, 2 weeks later my coolent unit went out on my fridge and I was glade I had the inspection done and was still under full waranty. Heartland did ask me for the completed form. My rig was one of the first with the 2 year warranty so lot of dealers and HL customer services reps was not aware of the change, so I had to explan it to many. My cost was around 200 bucks, but the cooling unit would have cost me much more.

I'm confused by your post. First, the refrigerator is warranted by its manufacturer, not by Heartland. Second, the inspection on the roof, etc. required for the 5 year structural warranty has nothing to do with the refrigerator cooling unit, so it's unclear why proof of structural inspection would be required. Maybe the request was for proof of the refrigerator inspection that Dometic (and perhaps Norcold) requires annually. Third, unclear why your cost was around 200 bucks for a warranty repair. Is that maybe the deductible for a 3rd party warranty.

Can you clarify?

mikeandconnie

For the Bumper to Bumper 2 year Landmark warranty to remain in effect you must have it inspected before the end of the first year. Since I was covered by Heartland warranty for two years after the inspection they repaired my fridge for free. I guess they billed Norcold but I'm not sure. There is a special Landmark inspection form that must be completed for the 2 year warrranty to remain in effect after the first year. I'm not sure about the frame inspection but thought she was talking about the 2 year.

There is a special inspection form for the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty and it's not in the Landmark 2013 manual.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes we had on our last two Big Countrys. With the dealers records, it was much ez'r to have warranty work done. The good thing is that I'm less than an hour from our dealer which also makes a big difference. We will be at the end of our first year ownership with the LM in April so about March I will set up an appointment. I usually stay at the dealership because they can get everything looked at in a couple of hours. The main things they check are the roof, framing and most of the outside components including the seals both on the sides and cargo areas. I make a list of the interior things that needs to be addressed which they do fix.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I have my dealer do our yearly inspection for leaks and/or sealant deficiencies. It does take about 2 hours and it is well worth the expense for they are always seeing something I don't and correct it before I have a problem. These units are not cheap to own and maintain but for the remaining 3 years on or 2+5 Warranty I will pay for this inspection to prevent any issues down the road which may cost thousands.

porthole

Retired
I don't see how any manufacturer providing a warranty can stipulate that it has to be inspected on a yearly basis AND make the consumer responsible for the cost, which could easily top several hundred dollars per year.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see how any manufacturer providing a warranty can stipulate that it has to be inspected on a yearly basis AND make the consumer responsible for the cost, which could easily top several hundred dollars per year.
Duane, although I agree with you, there is always a way to get that done.
Although there are several different types of warranty, here are a couple of lines from the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.

Inspection and repair may mean necessary maintenance.

Any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty must disclose, fully and conspicuously, in simple and readily understood language, the terms and conditions of the warranty to the extent required by rules of the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC has enacted regulations governing the disclosure of written consumer product warranty terms and conditions on consumer products actually costing the consumer more than $5.

This could mean that the inspection is on your dime.

I don't know if my assumptions are correct, but it's something to think about.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Or, it could mean the inspection can be performed by the end user.

No different then the idea of maintaining the warranty on your truck by changing the oil at the proper interval. As you already know, the manufacturer cannot force you to take your truck to the dealer for an oil change.

danemayer

Maybe there's another way of thinking about the 5 year structural warranty.

If you have an older Landmark, or any other Heartland model, there's no 5 year structural warranty. So you're choosing to do one of the following:

1. You pay a dealer to periodically inspect and maintain your trailer. Your trailer probably has no structural problems.

2. You do the inspection and maintenance yourself to save some money, and you do a good job. Your trailer probably has no structural problems.

3. You decide that this type of maintenance is either unnecessary, too expensive, or too much trouble. Some number of people will end up with structural problems from lack of maintenance.

With the 5 year structural warranty, you still have the same choices. The only difference is that if you pay the dealer to do the inspection, and a problem shows up anyway, Heartland will pay to fix it.

My guess is that Heartland believes that close to 100% of structural problems are due to poor maintenance. If that's correct, this warranty is mainly a way to more clearly state to owners that proper maintenance is a necessity.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

This is how the manufacturers and extended warranty companies get out of providing or paying coverage . . .

By requiring the consumer to do unneeded and costly inspections and maintainance that they know the consumers most likely won't do so that they can get out of their paying for or providing their offered coverage.

porthole

Retired
Maybe there's another way of thinking about the 5 year structural warranty.

If you have an older Landmark, or any other Heartland model, there's no 5 year structural warranty. So you're choosing to do one of the following:

1. You pay a dealer to periodically inspect and maintain your trailer. Your trailer probably has no structural problems.

2. You do the inspection and maintenance yourself to save some money, and you do a good job. Your trailer probably has no structural problems.

3. You decide that this type of maintenance is either unnecessary, too expensive, or too much trouble. Some number of people will end up with structural problems from lack of maintenance.

With the 5 year structural warranty, you still have the same choices. The only difference is that if you pay the dealer to do the inspection, and a problem shows up anyway, Heartland will pay to fix it.

My guess is that Heartland believes that close to 100% of structural problems are due to poor maintenance. If that's correct, this warranty is mainly a way to more clearly state to owners that proper maintenance is a necessity.

Frame and chassis structural issues may be a bad example. We all know there have been more then one instance of much older then 5 year trailers getting repaired. And some of them are meticulously maintained.

You left out a scenario.
You pay your $250 - $300 every year without fail for the inspection, and you still have a problem that is possibly denied.
You pay your $250 - $300 inspection fee for a "glossed over, barely cursory inspection.

I still don't see how a manufacturer can force you to have an annual inspection that you have to pay a 3rd party to perform.
No different then auto manufacturers requiring you to change the oil in your vehicle. There is a reason, for example Ford, does not require you have a Ford dealer change your oil with Motorcraft branded oil and filters. Only that you maintain records of the maintenance.