Thermostat or Control Issue

SMinter

My 2014 Sundance XLT has the Dometic Thermostat that controls the AC and Furnace through the control box in the AC intake box. When regulating the temperature, as the thermstat calls for the furnace to come on, there are numerous rapid loud clicks over about 30 seconds coming from the control box in the AC, then finally the furnace blower comes on. As the temperature comes up and the thermostat is turning off the furnace, there is a loud "explosion" sound from the furnace area and after a bet the fan turns off. The thermostat works fine when controlling the AC and if you start or stop the furnace manually by raising or lowering the temp setting all works fine. I have replaced the thermostat but made no differnece. The problem must be in the control box in the AC. I have looked for recall info but don't find anything. The clicking is very annoying. Wakes me up at night. But the explosion sound at shut down seems dangerous as well as annoying. Has anyone else had this problem?

Jim.Allison

Explosion + RV = Bad JuJu

My 2014 Sundance XLT has the Dometic Thermostat that controls the AC and Furnace through the control box in the AC intake box. When regulating the temperature, as the thermstat calls for the furnace to come on, there are numerous rapid loud clicks over about 30 seconds coming from the control box in the AC, then finally the furnace blower comes on. As the temperature comes up and the thermostat is turning off the furnace, there is a loud "explosion" sound from the furnace area and after a bet the fan turns off. The thermostat works fine when controlling the AC and if you start or stop the furnace manually by raising or lowering the temp setting all works fine. I have replaced the thermostat but made no differnece. The problem must be in the control box in the AC. I have looked for recall info but don't find anything. The clicking is very annoying. Wakes me up at night. But the explosion sound at shut down seems dangerous as well as annoying. Has anyone else had this problem?

danemayer

The "explosion" sound should be viewed as a very serious issue requiring immediate service. I'd suggest you stop using the furnace until a qualified service tech can look at it. Get some ceramic disc heaters to use in the interim.

SMinter

Yes, I am smart enough to not use the furnace. In fact it is at the dealers now for that and other issues. Mainly I am trying to see if others have had a problem with this control system. Seems over complicated for doing the simple job of turning the furnace off and on.

danemayer

I think the relay may be related to the use of a digital thermostat. Something has to send 15 amps or so of 12V DC to the blower motor and control board. With the older analog thermostats, I'd guess you could run the current through the thermostat. Probably not so with the digital models. So instead the digital thermostat passes a little bit of power to operate a relay that in turn powers the blower motor and control board. Your relay may be going bad. But that doesn't explain the explosion.