Toolbox with fuel cell question

Mrsfish

We have a 2013 Ford F-350 short bed and are considering a toolbox/auxiliary fuel tank for adding to the bed. Looking for ideas, suggestions, but mainly reviews. Thanks in advance

Jim.Allison

We are interested in doing this also, I saw a nice aluminum one at northern tool. It was narrow which is a plus for my short bed. My main reason for wanting it is to buy cheap and skip the expensive stations, and in the event I need it I can extend range. 30 gallons would be plenty for me.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Sorry but we have a dually and can't help with a short bed truck. We went with RDS fuel tanks who makes many different sizes and shapes. Check them out.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had the RDS 60 gal w/toolbox in my short bed GMC.
I now have it in the RAM.
This is the one I have. (LINK)

Peace
Dave

Mrsfish

Additional question. Do you have a tonneau cover? And does this fit under the cover? Another way of saying this is - is it lower then the bed rails?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
On my old truck, GMC, I did have the cheapest Truxedo rollup.
That was the only tonneau cover that would work on my GMC.
My ram has a hard fold up cover. It just fits.
This tank is 19" high.

Peace
Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Additional question. Do you have a tonneau cover? And does this fit under the cover? Another way of saying this is - is it lower then the bed rails?

I don't have a cover on my bed , and the tank is lower but not by much. Just guessing probably an inch or little less.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
My 2011 Ram has a flipbak fold up hard cover, I had to remove my tool box from the top of the 55 gal tank for the cover to fit...Ample room now.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a '14 long bed ford dually with a 37 gallon RDS in bed tank and a metal roll up cover from truck covers usa and they work great together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Boatman

We have a RAM 1 ton DRW Megacab with a shortbox. We installed the RDS 41 gal/toolbox combo. Its design allows easy hitch installation, but it does extend higher than the box by about 2-3 inches. However, RAMs box is a little lower than Ford & Chevy. Would never tow again without this tank installed. We have found the toolbox combo to really fit our needs. Good luck on whatever you select.

Jim Posz

We bought a 50 gallon Transfer Flow at the 2013 national Rally. We've been really happy with it; well built and handy to use. Now that we have it we seldom need to get fuel while hitched up.

jnbhobe

I have the 60 gal combo tank like Cookie except the filler is not enclosed, just getting ready to install it in a new truck.

pegmikef

I have the Transfer Flow fifty gallon tank/toolbox combination for my F350. It works great and I don't think I will ever do without one again because of the driving range and the convenience of the tool box. The downside for some that want bed covers is that it is a couple of inches above the sides. I did not have any intention of using a cover when I selected this tank.

MTPockets

We have the 50 gal Transfer Flo tank only, which does fit below the bed cover. Then added tool boxes which are on either side of bed.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I went bigger on my truck. I already had a 100 gallon L-shaped tank and added a very heavy duty Weather Guard full width tool box that nestled in on top of the tank. The tank is a refueler with the extrernal pump and I added a small pump that I can operate from inside to refuel while driving. Works very well.

DSCF0197.jpgDSCF0199.jpg

macjj

I elected to have one made. With a GMC 2500HD standard bed with a 4 section folding cover it fits between the wells and 6 in below the cover. It carries about 60 gal with a RDS auto feed. I can provide the construction detail if desired. I had it constructed with mounting tabs to secure it to the bed. It is not in the way of the 5th wheel hitch, but I do loose 2 ft of bed. Thus far that has not been an issue. The fuel savings alone with the extended range have been worth it (1200 mi unloaded, 600 miles loaded).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk