Surge Suppressor for 321 Torque

pgray

Besides the obvious (go take a look) (I'm a girl) does anyone know if the 2015 321 Torque has a surge suppressor already built in, or where to look for it.

I am guessing since this is a 50 amp trailer that I should purchase a 50 amp and convert to 30 via adapter if we are at a park with 30 amp service.

Is a surge suppressor really a necessity?

danemayer

Hi pgray,

I'm pretty sure your Torque doesn't come with a surge protector.

Surge protector is a generic term for various types of protective devices. What you actually want is an Electrical Management System (EMS) that protects not only against surges, but also against high voltage, low voltage, and certain types of wiring problems that you could encounter at a pedestal. Low voltage may be the most common problem, especially in the summer.

Many of us have had multiple situations where the EMS has saved us from damage to our appliances. It's really more common that you might think.

The Progressive Industries EMS comes in two 50 amp varieties; hard wired, and portable, and has a lifetime warranty. If the campground has only 30 amp service, as you suggested, you just plug in via an adapter.

jimtoo

I also recommend the same a Dan. I have this Progressive EMS, it was about 5 years old and it has saved me 4-5 times. The last time was 11 months ago from a surge we assume because the unit quit working after it hit. I emailed Progressive and was told to return it. From the time I put it in mail till I got it back was only 11 days and it was repaired at no charge.. except shipping to the plant which was about $20. Check the out here.

Jim M

danemayer

That's a surge protector only. It doesn't protect you from other common electrical problems. If you look at the info on the link I provided in the earlier post, you'll see the detail on how the more expensive device protects your coach.

As an example, if the pedestal has a bad neutral connection, when you plug in, you can fry most of your appliances. A surge protector will not help you with that problem. In the summer when everyone in the campground is trying to run all their air conditioners at the same time, and power drops below 105 Volts, you can damage your air conditioner compressors. A surge protector will not protect against that. If the pedestal has an open ground, you could possibly end up with a very dangerous condition where the "skin" of the RV is electrified. A surge protector won't help with that.

These things don't happen every day to every RV'er, but when things go wrong at the pedestal, it can cause thousands of dollars of damage and create hazardous conditions.

If you use the same seasonal site all the time, and the park is well maintained, your risk might be lower. If you visit lots of parks, eventually you'll run into a bad pedestal.

pgray

I did look at the difference in the two, hence the difference in cost. Was hoping to skate by with the less expensive one. We just bought the 5er and it is a large investment. While we will rarely camp in the summer at a campground (boondock) we will head south in October and be in one or two different RV parks. Better to be safe than sorry so we will purchase the one you recommended. We also went straight from the dealer to the tire store and replaced tires according to all of the good info we have reviewed here. While we have towed many tt's this is the first 5er and we are still learning what we need and what we don't. The people on this site have been wonderful and I thank in advance for all the information!

pgray

Ok, been researching....next question....since they are about the same cost...why go with a portable vs doing a hardwire?

Thanks again for all the help!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ok, been researching....next question....since they are about the same cost...why go with a portable vs doing a hardwire?

Thanks again for all the help!!

Hardwired: a bit of work to install, but is a DIY project if you're not afraid of doing basic electrical wiring. If it needs service, you have to reconnect the shore power line to the breaker panel. 6-gage wire is not the friendliest stuff to work with. One less thing to deal with when setting up or breaking down camp. Can't grow feet if another camper decides it would look better on their pedestal.

Portable: no installation needed, just connect to pedestal and plug in the rig. If it needs service, no extra work to remove it. Has been known to be left behind when departing (by some). Possible to grow feet if not secured.

I have the hardwired unit, but I mounted it where I can easily access it. It's been fine since 2009.