Removed the Microwave for a convection oven

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I just pulled out my microwave in my 21 FBS. Heartland has a door for $21.95 that will cover the hole. The door is a flip up, so
I figured the door will allow me to insert a small convection oven in that area or perhaps use it for more storage. I never use a
microwave oven as what it does to the food is not good for our bodies. The opening is 20 x 14 and the door is a 24 x 14...I have 4 inches on one side of the opening and a couple on the other to allow the overlap. I think this will really dress up the area above the stove.

I noticed when removing the Microwave, there was no area or vent space for the heat to escape. Perhaps it doesn't generate that much heat but I was surprised. Not sure if I put a small convection oven in that space if heat will be an issue? Of course the door would be open when in use...Any comments....

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I just finished my basement last summer and instead of a microwave in the bar area I put a micro/convection oven combo. It is a pain. The model we have is a panasonic and their tech support rep told us that because of the ammount of heat a convection oven produces, it must be resting on a slab of granite for heat dissipation, it must be vented for the same reason, and it must have 3 inches on each side and 6 inches from the top of the cabinet to the top of the oven because it gets so hot. Panasonic said that any deviation of those directions is asking for bad things to happen. The oven does work well but it does put out a tremendous amount of heat. Heat that is only welcome when it is cold out. Hope this helps you.

Doublegranch

Thanks....Perhaps the empty space will become another cabinet for more stuff.....I guess I could get a convection and just use it outside...

MTPockets

Garry, I just looked through the mounting instructions for ours, but it is made for under cabinet mounting only. It states specifically it is not for mounting inside a cabinet. I suppose there may be models for in cabinets but as above poster stated, lots of insulation/protection needed.

MTPockets

I just found that Sharp brand does make in-cabinet installation kits. Other brands probably do as well. Maybe a visit to an appliance store would get you what you want with proper protection.

Doublegranch

Terry:

I appreciate the help... I guess the Microwave dosen't generate that much heat...interesting...Thanks

Doublegranch

That is a super idea, I sure wouldn't want to wear out my welcome.....We can discuss that Saturday at the BBQ...But I still have an open space now to fill...
Can't wait til my new door arrives from Heartland....then it won't look like just a hole..