Half-ton trucks towing 5th wheels?

DW_Gray

Last edited:

DocFather

docpopcorn_zps7765508d.jpg

Westwind

I know some folks have limited $$$ but it's safety that I think about, I have seen accidents with one ton dual wheel trucks towing tow haulers that are demolished in a single vehicle accident. It was coming home from Florida two years ago and scared me - I don't know the particular's of the accident but you don't forget it. We just hoped no one was hurt.

Jim.Allison

I tow with a 2500, I admittedly should have a 3500, and according to the dually drivers, I should have a dually. So somehow, I don't think there is very much room for a fiver on a 1/2 ton. Although it would be ok as long as the fiver fit into the parameters. But show me a fiver that size.

What is most disconcerting is the number of small SUVs towing travel trailers, 5 kids, all kinds of gear on a SWB SUV. To me this is a accident waiting to happen (disaster). The equalizer hitches are never adjusted correctly, if they exist at all. Frightening.

DW_Gray

What is most disconcerting is the number of small SUVs towing travel trailers, 5 kids, all kinds of gear on a SWB SUV. To me this is a accident waiting to happen (disaster). The equalizer hitches are never adjusted correctly, if they exist at all. Frightening.

I'm working on the page for 3/4 tons now. After that is finished, I'll start on the SUV page. That should as interesting as the 1/2 ton trucks. [Changed my mind. I'm not going to do the SUV page.]

Last edited:

ramdually4100king

I've seen Toyotas towing fifth wheels in camp grounds and on the road as they are passing me. Not saying it's safe or good for the Toyotas axel but people do it. We have pics somewhere if I have them with me I'll post them.

MCTalley

One of the main advantages that a 3/4 ton or better truck provides over a 1/2 ton truck is a full floating axle. If you Google that and see what that means, you'll understand the significance.

I'm not surprised by the increased tow capacities for the Ford truck for 2015 since they lightened the whole truck via the increased use of aluminum body panels.

All that said, the first time I saw a Redwood fifth wheel, it was being towed by an F-150. I really hope that it was simply being transported locally (I saw it near our home before we started full-timing on local roads in two different places on the same day).

JanAndBill

I tow with a 2500, I admittedly should have a 3500, and according to the dually drivers, I should have a dually. So somehow, I don't think there is very much room for a fiver on a 1/2 ton. Although it would be ok as long as the fiver fit into the parameters. But show me a fiver that size.

2 years ago, TN, a family of 4 (friends of my son) in a Dodge Durango pulling a travel trailer, that was larger then the truck rated capacity. A semi merged in next to them and the air pressure caused the truck and trailer to sway. The driver over corrected which caused more sway, eventually pulling the truck and trailer over. Truck and trailer destroyed, but luckily there were no serious injuries to the family. Because of their experience they decided the RV lifestyle wasn't for them.

Last week coming out of Florida, I followed a late model 1/2 ton Ford pulling a travel trailer that had to be in excess of 30'. Every time a truck passed him, the trailer wagged like the tail on a dog.

I've done the same thing in the past, pulling more than the truck was rated for. Luckily I didn't have any serious trouble, but now, after learning how much more pleasant the towing experience can be with the right equipment, I'll never risk it again.

EPaulikonis

Towing a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton? Not for this kid. I'm happy I purchased a 1-ton dually to handle our Landmark. My guess is anyone who wishes to hook up a 5er to a 1/2 ton will experience a self-critiquing event before it's all said and done. Just hope I'm not near them when it occurs or that they injure themselves or adjacent motorists.

I witnessed a family of 6 in a Suburban towing a 30' pull-behind that was loaded down like the Beverly Hillbillies travelling south on Academy Blvd in Colorado Springs. Truck had to do emergency braking at a 4-way intersection, trailer began to sway, truck followed the camper, and camper rolled 90 degrees onto its side and pulled truck through intersection backwards. Luckily traffic seemed to sense the impending disaster and everyone held short while the accident occurred. All family members in the vehicle were okay outside of bumps, bruises, minor cuts, and soiled shorts!

FiremanBill

Sounds to me like the consensus is most people wouldn't pull ANYTHING with a 1/2 ton and based on some of these stories justifiable so. I think if you compare apples to apples pulling a 7k lb bumper pull vs a 7k pound 5th wheel, the 5th wheel will be a safer, better tow. Now I'm not going to go hook up my Cyclone to a half ton, that would just be stupid... Nor would I put a 5th wheel hitch in a '91 F-150 either.

But something like the Elkridge E22 at just over 7k and a pin weight of only 1420, well yeah. A newer half ton can do that easy. Much easier than a comparable 7k pound bumper pull.

just my humble opinion anyway.

Bohemian

Interesting. In 2014 Ford claimed that their max payload was 4,000 lbs for the F150 with HD payload option and minimum other options. Now, the 2015 with the same options has a max payload of 3,300 lbs. despite a weight reduction of 700 lbs. from using an Aluminum body.

Great factual work.

MTPockets

It matters not whether it's an F150, 250, 350, 350DRW. What matters is the payload rating and whether your load is less than that number. I find it interesting there are so many SRW truck owners who admit being over their payload rating while at the same time ignore those safety precautions brought up on these posts regarding an F150. Over is over, so if an F150 is unsafe if over loaded, wouldn't any other truck be unsafe if overloaded?

FiremanBill

It matters not whether it's an F150, 250, 350, 350DRW. What matters is the payload rating and whether your load is less than that number. I find it interesting there are so many SRW truck owners who admit being over their payload rating while at the same time ignore those safety precautions brought up on these posts regarding an F150. Over is over, so if an F150 is unsafe if over loaded, wouldn't any other truck be unsafe if overloaded?

Amen!

Bohemian

No argument from anyone walking this earth with their eyes wide open.

MCTalley

[UPDATE] The page for three-quarter ton trucks is now ready: Realistic Three-quarter Ton Towing Capaicty

Fairly eye-opening numbers for the fifth wheel capacities. I jumped ahead and entered the numbers for our current setup (2013 Ford 350 DRW) into the RV Tow Check app and came up with 21600, which is about 6k above what we're pulling now.

Interestingly, I entered in the specs for our former tow vehicle setup (2002 Ford 350 DRW) and came up with a fifth wheel tow rating in the 11,500 range (about 4k BELOW the actual weight of our trailer). Just because it is a DRW or has a "bulletproof motor" doesn't mean it was designed to haul today's heavyweight trailers.

Bohemian

I just had a tough time deciding which Ram 3500 CC 4x4 to choose. 68RFE or Aisin transmission. Short bed or long bed. SRW or DRW. I choose the long bed, DRW with Aisin. Using the calculator I am golden for towing my 15,500 GVWR 5th wheel. But, if I had chosen the 68RFE transmission, I would be right on the edge. The other options would have put me under.

I am very happy with my choices. It took a great deal of work. This calculator makes it much more obvious and easy to understand just what we are doing. Thanks.

It's not so much about pulling. It's about maneuvering and stopping under stressful and emergency conditions. Until then, it's easy to be overconfident.