what is this tool for??

TimBuck2

in my owners package (big horn) there was a square head bit with a flex extension approx 10" long.. any clue what this is for??

danemayer

Hi TimBuck2,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. Maybe another Bighorn owner knows the answer.

Oregon_Camper

It is the manual override (via a electric drill or similar) for the bedroom slide. The bedroom slide is electric....you're main slides are probably hydraulic.

DocFather

It is used on the Cyclone series, to loosen the 2 bolts on the underside of the Living Room TV mount. The heads of these bolts face downward. There is a hole in the shelf underneath each bolt and those holes are accessed by removing the electric fireplace. I think it is way too small for use on a slider.

The tool is so you can loosen the TV bracket and access the input and output ports. They are too difficult to see or access otherwise.

See this thread: (read ScottyB's post)

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/32976-ATF-Cyclone-Removing-40-quot-TV

20141211_120934_zpsophmaxa2.jpg

20141211_120955_zpsyvqozxoe.jpg

Brazos

Look in your manuals and you will find someplace where it talks about inserting a 1/4" hex drive in the top of the pump on top of the hydraulic reservoir in your front bay. If you look on top of that pump you will find a sticker or insert covering the access hole. This is a surprise for several techs that do walk throughs. You use it with a drill for that purpose. You will need the flex shaft for that. I had to buy one for my last rig just for that purpose. Never needed it.
My tech for the Bighorn told me it was for the awning. I still haven't figured that one out yet.

On Edit: The LCI Towable Master Manual 2014 on Page 81 you will see a couple of pics that will help with this. Your reservoir arrangement will probably vary from the photos.

pegmikef

It is the manual override (via a electric drill or similar) for the bedroom slide. The bedroom slide is electric....you're main slides are probably hydraulic.

I haven't actually checked mine, but during my PDI, the tech showed me where to remove the panel to access the bedroom slide motor and that the tool as Oregon Camper noted was to move the slide.

bigdob24

I have one I hung onto from a previous RV and they are a dandy flex driver attachment for the cordless drill driver
Never had to use it on the RV

Mrsfish

I haven't actually checked mine, but during my PDI, the tech showed me where to remove the panel to access the bedroom slide motor and that the tool as Oregon Camper noted was to move the slide.

Thank you. I've held on to ours since purchase but could never get the same answer twice. At that point I figured people were guessing so I quit asking. Another gold star for this forum - you guys and gals all rock.

Roller4tan

Look in your manuals and you will find someplace where it talks about inserting a 1/4" hex drive in the top of the pump on top of the hydraulic reservoir in your front bay. If you look on top of that pump you will find a sticker or insert covering the access hole. This is a surprise for several techs that do walk throughs. You use it with a drill for that purpose. You will need the flex shaft for that.
On Edit: The LCI Towable Master Manual 2014 on Page 81 you will see a couple of pics that will help with this. Your reservoir arrangement will probably vary from the photos.

X2 this

Mrsfish

Look in your manuals and you will find someplace where it talks about inserting a 1/4" hex drive in the top of the pump on top of the hydraulic reservoir in your front bay. If you look on top of that pump you will find a sticker or insert covering the access hole. This is a surprise for several techs that do walk throughs. You use it with a drill for that purpose. You will need the flex shaft for that. I had to buy one for my last rig just for that purpose. Never needed it.
My tech for the Bighorn told me it was for the awning. I still haven't figured that one out yet.

Stupid question here.... Why would I need to put this hex drive in the top of the hydraulic reservoir?

danemayer

Stupid question here.... Why would I need to put this hex drive in the top of the hydraulic reservoir?

If you ever have an electrical failure to the hydraulic pump, or a pump motor failure, you can use a drill to spin the pump manually. By manually opening and closing the appropriate valve, you can then recover from the failure until you get to your dealer.

B

BouseBill

There was one in our new BigHorn...but I'd be danged if I know where it is now LOL

Harry1

Mike, I was told the same. Tool is for the electric slide in Bighorn bedroom. (May also work on Hyd pump as well) Did they show you the panel that has to be removed for the slide motor? Is it the wood trim/header across the top of the slide? If so, how do you get it off? Thanks

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sounds to me like a call to HL service would explain what it used for. Then there would be no more guessing.

Harry1

That's exactly what its for. It is used on the electric bedroom slide motor made by Bal Accu Slide. Getting to that motor is another story.

Brazos

Wouldn't you know it, there are folks who really know what this tool is for. Now that it is revealed, can we still come up with more uses? It is truly a Heartland Multi-Tool.