Mounting to the inside walls???

Ladiver

We are looking at installing an air filtration device in the garage area of the Cyclone. The manufacture makes a wall bracket and we like the idea of keeping it off the ground, away from the dogs! Plus, there is a power outlet up high, for the washer/dryer, that we do not use.

My question is about mounting to the wall. I have looked at various mounting options and I am not sure there is a stud that I will be able to hit. I looked into pop rivets and while the rivets may be strong enough, what about the luan walls? The bracket is 1" x 14" and has to support about 20 lbs. The air filter will only be installed after we are set up at the campsite. We will not travel while it is hanging on the wall.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jimsryker

My only critique to a Molly fastner is the size of the hole needed to insert the fastner into the wall. Blind pop rivets only require the diameter of the fastner itself and a 5/32nd for example has a sheer strength of over 100 lb. sq. Plus there are blind pop rivets that mimic that splaying of material like a molly if that's your preference.

The only weak link is the 1/4" luann but remember that the bracket will distribute the load over a large area and the luann distributes that ever further. If the chosen location ever changes, you can drill out the rivet head and you're left with a 5/32 hole that is easier to hide. I have been using blind rivets and have found them minimally invasive, and the result is rock solid. Drilling a tiny hole until it just pops through and then expanding the rivet has little chance of damaging unseen/unknown items in the wall.

My two cents... Well, more like ten cents. LOL.

Jim.Allison

You could also use a piece of 3/16 plyboard, finished one side, cut and stained for aesthetics, cutting it larger than the frame you intend to install, say 3 to 4 inches larger than the filter frame. You could first mount the larger plyboard to the wall then mount your smaller filter frame to the 3/16 plyboard. Since the 3/16 plyboard covers more area and has more fasteners, the load will be distributed over a larger area on the luann paneling. In addition the molly bolts securing your filter frame will be holding on to material that is doubled up with the 3/16s. By installing the secondary panel you could use smaller fasteners and more of them. I would also use some type of glue to mount the frame to the 3/16 so that the load is spread over all filter mount, and not necessarily on the mounting screws. -- Just my 2 cents.

wdk450

I have used metal screw-in anchors like the ones pictured below to remount cabinets that came loose, to mount Day and Night Shades and string tiedowns. I get the shortest ones available.
metal wall anchor.jpg

rxbristol

Interesting idea about using rivets. I researched a little and found rivets that have a wider rivet called a dome:

http://blindrivets.gesipausa.com/viewitems/blind-rivets-non-structural/dome-peel-rivets

My only critique to a Molly fastner is the size of the hole needed to insert the fastner into the wall. Blind pop rivets only require the diameter of the fastner itself and a 5/32nd for example has a sheer strength of over 100 lb. sq. Plus there are blind pop rivets that mimic that splaying of material like a molly if that's your preference.

The only weak link is the 1/4" luann but remember that the bracket will distribute the load over a large area and the luann distributes that ever further. If the chosen location ever changes, you can drill out the rivet head and you're left with a 5/32 hole that is easier to hide. I have been using blind rivets and have found them minimally invasive, and the result is rock solid. Drilling a tiny hole until it just pops through and then expanding the rivet has little chance of damaging unseen/unknown items in the wall.

My two cents... Well, more like ten cents. LOL.

JanAndBill

I have used metal screw-in anchors like the ones pictured below to remount cabinets that came loose, to mount Day and Night Shades and string tiedowns. I get the shortest ones available.
View attachment 34539

If you are mounting to an "exterior" wall these stand a better chance of holding. The interior paneling is not 1/4", it's 3.7 MM just under 3/16". Pop rivets won't hold in this material unless you were able to use a washer on the back side. If it has to be on an exterior wall, your safest bet is to go from the floor up for the weight support, or ceiling down (tying into roof joists). If you are mounting to an "interior" wall there are wood studs that you can use, spanning them if necessary.

pegmikef

Is there sufficient room to run a couple of scab straps from stud to stud and then attach the frame to the straps?

wdk450

If you are mounting to an "exterior" wall these stand a better chance of holding. The interior paneling is not 1/4", it's 3.7 MM just under 3/16". Pop rivets won't hold in this material unless you were able to use a washer on the back side. If it has to be on an exterior wall, your safest bet is to go from the floor up for the weight support, or ceiling down (tying into roof joists). If you are mounting to an "interior" wall there are wood studs that you can use, spanning them if necessary.

Just to clarify, I used these anchors in interior walls to hold a 4 foot high cabinet on my kitchen island which had come loose from the wall, I did this 3 years ago and the repair is holding. I remounted my big rear window day and night shade wood valence/surround with these, along with the tightly tensioned shade string retainers. I think that the large diameter of these anchors into the thin interior paneling gives good holding power.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I still recommend 3/16 "molly fasteners". When pulled tight they have a wide base behind the wall material. I used them 7 years ago to fasten shelfs, towel holders, and a TP holder. They have never puller loose.

Ladiver

I found some short "molly fasteners" and am planning on using them. I also found a stud in the wall where I can mount to. So, my install will be 2 screws into a stud, then the molly fasteners just for extra support.

I am pretty confident this will be more that fine.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Jimsryker

I don't think a pop rivet will hold worth a darn in the soft luan wall board. I'd use this.

My pop rivets have been in place and holding just fine for over a year now. Interior and exterior walls. Retaining a clip that holds my garage ladder in place as an example. We're talking shear strengths not lateral. A small 5/32nd is rated at over a 135 lb. sq. You could go larger but I've not needed to. They are not for every application obviously but for a stationary object put in place only went stopped? They could be over kill for the job.