Elkridge Extreme Lite Flag Pole Holder

'Lil Guy'

Was going to get a ladder for my E289 but Heartland said it won't support it. Sole purpose was to mount a Flag Pole Buddy mount on it. Don't like the ones you drive onto so I started looking for a way to mount my giant flagpole. Figured I could fabricate one to clamp on my rear 4" bumper. While trying to figure out how I wanted to make it so I could get the holder away from the back of the RV, (don't want it slapping the back of the rig in high winds) I noticed the rear mounted carry all that folds down. Had I made it, I would have mitered the ends so it wouldn't have open ends unlike the way HL did it, leaving the ends open with end caps like on our rear bumper for the sewer hose. This rack is very solid and very rigid when locked in place. With it folded down and the end cap popped off, my solution was at hand. The tubing is 2' with 1/8 wall and all I needed was some 1 3/4 aluminum with a pipe and gusset welded on it. Flag pole is a good 2 1/2 feet from rear of RV. Using 2" by 1/8 wall by 2' long round tubing. (just need new inserts if I decide to go with the larger pole) With a pole diameter of 1 1/2, I am making some delrin tapered inserts for inside bottom and the top to have a close fit so it won't flop around inside the tube. To make it easy to fit the pole into the tight clearance, I hinged the bottom so it could pivot 45 degrees with a stop. Once loaded, I just push the tube up to engage the upper clevis and insert the pin. Almost through with it. Only welding on it is the two 1/2 X 1 1/2" lugs on the tubing. I rounded the corners and machined it to a good fit in the carrier and slotted the end back 3 1/2 inches. I then inserted the 2 1/2 X 1/2 X14" flat bar into the slot leaving me with a 1" deep by 1/2 opening for by lugs to go into. All held in place with 5/16-18 cap screws with countersinks to make them flush. The bottom lug was cut on a 45 to allow it to pivot down to a stop. I then drilled and reamed a 1/2 in hole in top and bottom of mount with the lugs installed so it will line up nicely.
I know, way to much info here but I'm bored. I'll have it black anodized when I get the tubing and lugs welded.

Point is, you could make a cheap, nice holder for this unit without the frills. Being a machinist by trade, I just added the frills. Going to unveil it at the La. rally next month. The 'Lil Guy' flag will wave proudly behind our E289.
Later and have a great day.

Last edited:

'Lil Guy'

I'll get it home in a week and get you some close ups of how it's made. If you go to the rally and chapter section of this site, then go to North Texas chapter and look at the Santos rally 3/27 on page 2, #124, you can see a pic of it holding my flags. Really sturdy and tilts back to load and unload.

jimtoo

I'll get it home in a week and get you some close ups of how it's made. If you go to the rally and chapter section of this site, then go to North Texas chapter and look at the Santos rally 3/27 on page 2, #124, you can see a pic of it holding my flags. Really sturdy and tilts back to load and unload.

This is link to post baker is suggesting.

Jim M

'Lil Guy'

Thanks Mike. You just won one for free while I'm still working this year. What is your receiver size and what flag pole do you use? I can leisurely make one for the rally this fall.

pegmikef

Yeah Frank (AKA 'Lil Guy'), I was so impressed when I saw it, that I took a couple of pix of it with aspirations of copying it, but it is way beyond my capabilities. Here's the pix I took at the Santo rally.

Oh yeah, my receiver is the little one an inch and a quarter I think. Whatever Heartland installs. I am now using the one that comes from polesandholders.com, but I am probably going to be replacing it because one of the sections is broke and it is so old that it is becoming brittle.

Thanks.

Attachments

• FranksPoleHolder1.JPG
    FranksPoleHolder1.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 70
  • FranksPoleHolder2.jpg
    FranksPoleHolder2.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 60

'Lil Guy'

Mike, I was going to sell it since I ordered the ladder mount for the new BH. If you want it, I'll machine it down to fit your receiver and you can have it. If your receiver is real close to the rear of your rig, you should get an extension. Maybe a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2. That would move it a little farther away from the back of your rig. You don't want it touching the top of the rig in wind. PM me if you want it and we'll figure out the best way to make it work. I'm not retired yet and still have access to all of the machines to make it fit right for you. Later and see you in October.