Roadside Assistance

blkdodge

Thought or experience ( good or bad ) on Coach-net, Goodsam or AAA

All input is welcome.
I currently have one of the above and I'm not very impressed and looking to change.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We have Good Sam and USAA. I lost a water pump on my previous truck and Good Sam towed me and 5er to a campground. Other than that, I can change a tire and be back on the road long before assistance gets there. Long story short is I like having it but I carry a impact wrench as well. Just let the situation dictate.

gasman

Camp Socializer
We have Good Sam and have been very satisfied with the service. We have had AAA in the past but they will not transport fifth wheels so we had to make a change.

donr827

We have had Good Sam for years. They always were on time for the times I needed them. One time I blew a patch on the front TV tire. Goodyear had put a car patch on the tire. The tow truck broke the tire down on the side of the road and put a new truck tire patch on. They always call back and keep you up to date.
Don

Kbvols

We have GS although we have not had to use with RV they have assisted my son who is in college on two different occasions and were very prompt in dispatching service and called me back ensuring all was taken care of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bohemian

We have used GS for years/ Last year we had a blown motor near Kutztown, PA. GS kept us hanging for hours without information. I called them several times. In the end they told us they could not get us a tow truck or any other assistance. Meanwhile it was a Friday afternoon. I called the local Enterprise car rental. They told me they could not get a car to me 15 min away because they were closing in 1-1/2 hour.

1) We found a police man and he called a tow service which showed up in about 1/2 hour.
2) I called our son who showed up in about 2 hours.

Thank you local police in Kutztown, PA.

Chippendale

I am a 45 year member of AAA, and now have the "Plus RV" feature. Several years ago I read that in some areas they could not accommodate a large 5th wheel or RV so I signed up for Good Sam Roadside Assistance too. Shortly after signing up, we were on the interstate east of Albuquerque and had engine trouble. Called GS and they sent Little John's Towing from Moriarty, NM. The owner arrived in a reasonable length of time, towed our RV to a hotel and dropped it in the parking lot, gave me time to check in and then towed the truck to the dealer for repair. Great service and even refused a gratuity. After that, DW saw to it that I did not forget to renew the GS Roadside. She is gone now, but I still have Good Sam. Of course, I still have the AAA too, maybe because of loyalty (want to see what they will give me at 50 years), or probably stupidity.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Luckily, we've not needed to test Good Sam with our 5er but the kids have both needed to call. Good Sam took care of everything quickly and professionally.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have Good Sam's Roadside Assistance . . .

Used it once on our way back from South Dakota after passing up a gas station in Chadron, Nebraska as it was the day before the Sturgis Rally started and there was such a long line of RV's and Harley's that I figured that with 3/4 of a tank of gas in the truck that we could make the next town.

NOT! :mad:

Ran out of gas out in the middle of Nowheresville, Nebraska . . . 17 miles short of making the next town, Alliance, Nebraska!

Matter of fact . . . here is a shot of us waiting for the tow truck to bring us some gas:

OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg

I was surprised that we had cell service out there, and being around 3 p.m. on a Saturday afternoon, it took Good Sam about an hour to find someone to come out there.

Good Sam kept in touch with me and contacted me again once he got a hold of someone to come out there.

We decided to make the best of it and relaxed in the trailer and had lunch while we waited for the tow truck with five gallons of gas arrived.

Only issue was that unbeknownst to me, he had dumped E85 gas in my truck . . . which didn't like that gas!

However, we always like to think that stuff happens for a reason, and by us sitting on the side of the road for two hours made us miss a huge hail storm that we would have been right smack in the middle of had we not had our little Nebraska layover.

Thought we might have to use the Good Sam's again two weeks ago when we had a wheel bearing burn out on our trailer while driving through Phoenix.

However, my Rand McNally RV GPS located Sun City RV (those guys and gals are awesome!) less than a mile away from where we were pulled over, so we limped our way over there and they had us rolling by 6 p.m. the next day!

And, as luck would have it, there was an RV park right next door where we spent the night as it was already around 4 p.m. when we had the bearing burnout.

Attachments

• OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg
    OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 48

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thought or experience ( good or bad ) on Coach-net, Goodsam or AAA

All input is welcome.
I currently have one of the above and I'm not very impressed and looking to change.

I have mixed thoughts on Good Sam ERS. We have had it for quite a few years now and it seems they go up on their price each year until we tell them we can get it cheaper through AAA or KOA. Then they meet the competitors price. Also we have called them several times and when we first had it they responded within 45 minutes. The last two times we called them we waited 6 hours on the side of a highway before they got anyone to us. The last time we called them they refused to send anyone because our truck was in the shop at a Ford dealer and the RV was at the same Ford dealer and they said the RV was in a safe location and therefore did not need to be towed. Even after explaining the truck would be in the shop for over a week and there were no hookups or security at the Ford dealer would they send anyone. We ended up with the Service Manager at the Ford dealer borrowed a friends truck with a hitch and he towed us to the RV Park 14 miles away. I do not think I will renew Good Sam ERS but will go with another service. BTW the next to the last time I called them, I ended up changing the tire myself before they every found anyone (over 90 minutes). A Texas Highway Patrol Trooper stopped and helped us get the tire changed.

wdk450

I have had Good Sam even before I got the Bighorn in 2009. They have helped me in rural Northern California 3 times, and in Idaho another time. The Idaho call required 2 different servicers for what was first thought to be a tire problem, but turned out to be a cracked drum at the bearing nipple. GS dispatch was there for me, called back to see if service had arrived as promised, and I managed to get rolling again in 5 hours. No towing was used on this call. Another time my entire rig (truck plus 5th wheel) was towed by a big rig tow when I blew out a water pump on my truck. That must have been expensive. I also had about a 20 mile tow of my truck only, again no charge to me.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have both Good Sams Roadside Asst and Coach-net but knock on wood, haven't had to use either so far. Just checked the GSRS website and now they have 3 different levels of coverage, each costing more. Now they are like AAA which we got away from because the basic tow package of 25 miles just doesn't cut it when you are out in the boonies.

blkdodge

Here is why I ask. I have GS, broke down 35 miles south of flagstaff Az, 33 miles back was a small Indian Reservation town called Cameron. GS wanted to tow me to Cameron because it was closer. Problem was you would have to 6 miles south to get another exit then 6 miles back..now I'm no math wizz but that's 10 miles farther. It cost me $214.00 to go where I wanted. Tow driver also stated GS is pretty slow in paying the tow bills. Next time getting ready to pull out DW notices Truck tire going down. I call GS, we will send someone right out.. 1 hr passes, he's on his way.. 2 hr passes he's still on his way.. 3 hr passed (you guess it) still not here.

Finally after 3hr 19 min. Be calls and what's me to measure between the top of the tire and the fenderwell..I won't bore you with all the conversation. But this idiot shows up with no jack, only a 4-way lug wrench. By now I'm well into hour #4 and have had more than enough. I words I can't use here, (which would make for a better story) I kicked them out because they could not do the job. Then GS calls and says "so we hear you refused service". It's now 10:30 pm, and I lost it. I used the words that I can't on here and had the lady on the other end speechless. In the end I apologized to her because it was not her fault. She understood and said she would put them on the don't call list..

There was a lot more that went on between me and the idiot they sent out..I think back and have to laugh.

Bohemian

We have used GS for years/ Last year we had a blown motor near Kutztown, PA. GS kept us hanging for hours without information. I called them several times. In the end they told us they could not get us a tow truck or any other assistance. Meanwhile it was a Friday afternoon. I called the local Enterprise car rental. They told me they could not get a car to me 15 min away because they were closing in 1-1/2 hour.

1) We found a police man and he called a tow service which showed up in about 1/2 hour.
2) I called our son who showed up in about 2 hours.

Thank you local police in Kutztown, PA.

Sorry, this was a car only situation.

Bohemian

So far I am not impressed with Good Sam anything. They are always looking for more and more money.

I have the AAA RV coverage from Oregon/Idaho. In this region they will tow your vehicle and 5th wheel home (I think up to 100 miles) - not all regions will tow your trailer home. I took out a deer on I-5 by Castle Rock, Washington and they towed my 5th and truck home (not together!). I'll probably add the GS coverage as they cover things the AAA coverage does not.

Happy Campers

One thing y'all have to remember is they use who ever they can get in the areas you break down in and they probably try to use the cheapest ones.We belong to GS and never have used them and hope we don't because of the stories I have heard and not all from here.I feel that once they say help is on the way you have the right to ask them the name and phone no. of the company or person that is coming just in case they don't show up or are way past due time.
Sometimes I feel it would be just as simple to find our own tow or whatever service we needed,pay the bill and send it in and get reimbursed.That's what my wife did when her car wouldn't start and she had it towed to her mechanic.They paid 100% of the bill.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
One thing y'all have to remember is they use who ever they can get in the areas you break down in and they probably try to use the cheapest ones.We belong to GS and never have used them and hope we don't because of the stories I have heard and not all from here.I feel that once they say help is on the way you have the right to ask them the name and phone no. of the company or person that is coming just in case they don't show up or are way past due time.
Sometimes I feel it would be just as simple to find our own tow or whatever service we needed,pay the bill and send it in and get reimbursed.That's what my wife did when her car wouldn't start and she had it towed to her mechanic.They paid 100% of the bill.

That is basically what we do. We have roadside assistance on both the truck and trailer, seperate policies, and both of them have coverage. We call who we want pay for it and submit it for 100% reimbursement. Works better that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAdams

We have GS and had to call them because I locked my keys in the truck. It took them 2-1/2 hours to get someone out.