Added Lights to Bottom of Cabinets

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
After using our Landmark this summer I decided I needed some additional lighting for reading in the living room. I purchased some recessed led lights to place on the underside of the overhead cabinets in the slide and in the rear cap.

First I pried the bottom of the inside of the cabinet to gain access to the wiring between the two layers paneling. Next I planned the wiring route based on where the studs were located. I removed the decoration frame for the shades. I made sure to mark where the outer edges where located with blue masking tape.
Light Install 1.JPGLight Install 2.JPG
I then made small cutouts in the paneling near the studs to help me fish the wires from the switch to the new lights. I made sure the cut outs would be covered when I replaced the decorative shade frame. I made the cuts with a razor blade at a 45 degree angle, so that after I fished the wire I could glue the cutouts back into the wall. I also made a cutout inside the cabinet.
Light Install 5.JPGLight Install 6.JPG
I fished the wires and drilled the holes for the led lights.
Light Install 3.JPG
I mounted and wired the lights and the new switch. The original switch was a single switch I replaced it with a double switch.
Light Install 12.JPG

I tested the lighting install and then used Ultragel Super Glue around the edges of cutouts to glue the cutouts back to the wall.
Light Install 7.JPGLight Install 8.JPGLight Install 9.JPG

Then I replaced and fastened the cabinet bottom. Last I remounted the decorative shade frame and the project was complete.
Light Install 10.JPGLight Install 11.JPG
The project was fairly easy, but it takes a lot of time to complete so that the cutouts will be concealed after the project is completed. It took me about 9 hours to complete the lighting install in the living room slide and about 7 hours to complete the lighting install in the rear cap.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Very nice. I can think of 2 places that would work. My list keeps growing....

marvmarcy

Nice job. I'm wondering if our 2012 Key Largo has different lighting because we have both aimable reading lights on the wall by each recliner as well as lights in the underside of the cabinets over the recliners. I just replaced the bulbs with high output LEDs and have abundant light for reading.