Basement Insulation.....

Uncle Rog

I installed 2" rigid insulation between the joists in the basement ceiling / bedroom floor area, big difference..........
I also discovered that in the closet there is a corner cover on the OD side that was loose and will fill in with some batt material and secure fully, that will pretty much seal off the bedroom and keep it pretty warm.........Suzi noticed a little draft from the closet.....She was right...........as usual!

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Rog you beat me to it. Saw it on the new units and thought, why not insulate the basement. Easy to do. The closet is a great idea too, something else to do when we get home in April.
Rand

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rog, didnt you you say that the insulation is already the right width to fit?? Did you glue it or screw it in place?? Need to get some, do you guys sell it? Bob:D:D

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I keep get'n kicked off, .......
The insulation is Dow R-13 rigid...........
You have to cut it into strips to fit between the joists...............
Chopper, or refried, you will love this, takes almost an hour old buddy, kills some time...Almost a sixer.......
Bob you are close so FOB Riverside $25.60 a panel, pesos go to the stamp drawer...
Just cut the panel with a hack saw blade, screw the strips in with deck / DW srews to secure a purchase and you are done.....
I had 24" left over , Rand thats a lot of CM"S I think, so I managed to drive over the rest of the panel going to re-supply................
Makes a big difference guys..............

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
They make a spray on adhesive for that stuff cause we used it at work. I remember we only sprayed one side if it was to be taken back off later and both sides for a permanent bond. We bought ours from a supplier that came around , so not sure if Lowes etc. carry it.....Ken

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rog, good info. I had given some thought to putting in the insulation and then putting a piece of 1/4 plywood across there to have lumber to hang things from. Bob :D:D:eek:

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Rog, good info. I had given some thought to putting in the insulation and then putting a piece of 1/4 plywood across there to have lumber to hang things from. Bob :D:D:eek:

This handy man stuff has got to slow down ,my DW reads all this stuff and agrees. My honey do list gets longer and longer and longer.:rolleyes:...Ken

Uncle Rog

Good Performance.....

Howdy, we slept in the BH last night as we are having some dry wall / painting done. The out side sensor said it was 37 at 05:00 when I put on the coffee and let out the GSP's, and there was snow on the ground!
Kind of funny as it was 80+ last Monday............
The interesting thing is that all we used for heat was the fire place and one ceramic heater.....The bed room was so warm we took off the comforter!
Our coldest trip out to date was to Lone Pine at t-day, lows into the mid 20's. We had to use everything we had to keep the temps up..........
I really think the basement seal up has made a big difference!
Cheap and easy to do............