Skip the extended warranty . . . not worth the paper you are giving them for it!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Make sure you read the fine print . . . and DON'T listen to your salesman's hype about the warranty they sell!

Upon needing our extended warranty (N*Compass - what a bunch of schiesters they are) left us hanging high and dry with the $1000+ bill 700 miles away from home when a wheel bearing burned up and took out the spindle and brake assembly on our two year and three month old Heartland Trail Runner with less than 5000 miles on it.

And now that we are home, I've discovered even more issues with the trailer in the suspension area . . . so we'll see what they have to say about that!

Of course, I won't be surprised when they tell me it was my fault for parking it when not in use . . . and deny any coverage!

Sure, once you read the fine print, you'll see they've got themselves covered . . . and not you!

If you follow their instructions to keep yourself covered, you'll be spending $100's to $1000's of dollars per year on maintainance that is recommended . . .

But is it really needed?

No!

But don't do it . . . and you are not covered!

And heaven forbid if you don't have the fortitude to keep a file cabinet full of your records with you while you are on the road!

Save your money for when you really need a repair as you'll be paying for it out of pocket anyway.

Sorry . . . just venting as this is very frustrating that these companies will take advantage of you when you need them most for what you are paying them for.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Extended warranties or service contracts are ALWAYS written in favor of the provider. They couldn't stay in business if it were a good deal for the buyer!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
John didn't someone say to check with dexter to see if you had any warranty left on the axle? Have you done that and what did they say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

John didn't someone say to check with dexter to see if you had any warranty left on the axle? Have you done that and what did they say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to do that tomorrow . . .

MTPockets

In general, I agree with sentiments expressed regarding extended warranties. We bought one when we purchased our Big Horn a bit over three years ago, primarily because we were full timing. Last week, we had $1,500 bill covered under that warranty for a new convection/microwave and two dump valves replaced. My cost $100 for the deductible. A decent payback and can still use for another 20 months. I don't believe ours covers structural or running gear either.

JohnD

In general, I agree with sentiments expressed regarding extended warranties. We bought one when we purchased our Big Horn a bit over three years ago, primarily because we were full timing. Last week, we had $1,500 bill covered under that warranty for a new convection/microwave and two dump valves replaced. My cost $100 for the deductible. A decent payback and can still use for another 20 months. I don't believe ours covers structural or running gear either.

Our supposedly covers it (suspension and axles), as long as you do their 'required maintainance', and also provide proof of said required maintainance being done, which I talked about earlier.

This is why I suggest that everyone read each and every line and fully understand all of it before signing the dotted line of any extended warranty.

Do not listen to your dealer and take them for their word about what these will and will not cover . . .

MTPockets

Our supposedly covers it (suspension and axles), as long as you do their 'required maintainance', and also provide proof of said required maintainance being done, which I talked about earlier.

This is why I suggest that everyone read each and every line and fully understand all of it before signing the dotted line of any extended warranty.

Do not listen to your dealer and take them for their word about what these will and will not cover . . .
good advice John.

Jim.Allison

Never telegraph that you are not going to buy extended warranty or any other add on until you have made your best deal, then when you are signing the papers, you can decline all that. Credit life is another thing you probably do not need, unless you have an actual financial reason to buy it. But when negotiating I always let them think that I going to buy the extras. But when closing I decline all of them.

mobilcastle

Not a bad idea. I think the road assistance is another problem. We had Good Sams. I had a flat in WV and after an two hour weight the person called me to do the repair. When I told him it was a dually he told me he could not change the tire. I guess no one in WV owns a dually-I changed it myself. Needless to say I dropped them.
Never telegraph that you are not going to buy extended warranty or any other add on until you have made your best deal, then when you are signing the papers, you can decline all that. Credit life is another thing you probably do not need, unless you have an actual financial reason to buy it. But when negotiating I always let them think that I going to buy the extras. But when closing I decline all of them.