Scrubbing the Horn

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Like Uncle Rog said in an earlier thread, today was a great Socal day. Sun was out, nice breese, etc. I got a wild hair and yanked out the old Horn. Thought I would give it a good scrubbing. 2 hours later all the yellow stuff and black streaks were gone. Then having a senoir moment, I decided, ya know it needs to be really shined up. With ladder, wax, and a rag off I went. But after 2 hours and only 1 side done, arms and legs sore, I gave up for the day. There is tomorrow, but I just figured out that waxing one of these things is like waxing 3 2500 HD's end to end and stacked 2 high. I was going the phrase this different, but thought better of it, did'nt what to give JP a heart attack. Hard to explain to him why you have your horn out and scrubbing it. You should alway keep it clean and then it wont rust. Sorry JP, just could resist, LOL XXXOOOO.:p Bob:D OH yeah, do they all have dark blotches it the gel coat:confused:

creeper

Went you get older, you will get smarter like me. In my days of youth I would muscle everything. Now, I just buy a machine and do it that way. I can wax and entire side in 15 mins and take it off in another 30..... :)

Small plank between two ladders and I only have to move it a couple of times.

Bob&Patty

John and Creeper, this thing sat at the dealer for a year. Every other day they pressure washed it without water softner and the water spots are unreal. Its going to take alot of time to get them all off. But I am curious about about all the dark spots in the gel coat. Its like there was not enough color put on before they laided the glass. I never noticed them until I was up close and personal with the sides of the coach. Cant fix it now, just will have to live with it. Need to get a auto zipper:rolleyes:. Bob :D:D:eek:

ChopperBill

Coming back from AZ this winter we got to Colo Springs and it had just snowed and melted. I don't have to tell you what that road muck does to your stuff! We decided to wash it before putting it back in storage. Renee grabbed the hose with sprayer and I manned the long brush and a tub of soapy water. We had it done in 1/2 and hour. However, we were hauling posterior! I haven't waxed it yet but on the truck camper I use that spray and wipe wax. It dries fast and is easy to buff out. Not sure it lasts as long and the elbow grease variety.

Bob&Patty

Good stuff

Chopper, I bought the new Turtle Wax liquid wash and wax and the paste wax. This stuff is really neat. The paste wax, you can put on everything, even on black trim. It wont leave a white film. I did all the window frames and it wiped right off. Works good on water spots. Found it at Target. Bob:D:D:eek:

jpmorgan37

Bob;

On your dark areas, have you tried using some "DuPont White Polishing Compound"? Try a small area using an Orbital Buffer. We did a lot of cars with that when the acid rain became such a problem 20 years ago. It's not hard to work with and it won't leave burn marks like the orange rubbing compound.

John

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Maguire's has a very good semi-paste wax (more liquid than paste) in a maroon bottle and it applies very easily. It's about a bottle plus a half for the unit. I also have the orbital buffer and it takes about 3 hours from start to finish. It's available at Wal-mart for around $8.00 a botlle.

theharveys

I used an strong cleaner on my SOB fifth wheel (to get rid of black streaks) and dulled the gelcoat finish on the front cap. I could not find any wax that would restore the finish.
I ended up using a polish compound called "Blue Magic" which I bought to use on the aluminum diamond-plate on my truck. I bought it at Autozone.
Anyway, It said it was safe for fiberglass so I tried it on the front cap and to my surprise and delight, it restored the cap to a factory like new finish and shine.
Obviously, it will not clean anything under the gelcoat, but it sure did a nice job on the front and rear caps of the fifth wheel.

Bob&Patty

John, I did try to polish them out with very light polishing compound. I'm afraid that it is behind the gel coat. Just not enough color on the gel coat. Oh well, I guess we will just have to get a Landmark in a couple of years.:) Bob:D:D:eek:

jpmorgan37

Bob;

You could go the same route that Vance and Princess Kathleen went, but use something more in line with a western theme, since they have used the Louisiana theme. That would solve the blemishes. Or, park under a shade tree on a sunny day and nobody will ever notice.

John

theharveys

John.
You are stealing my idea of a western theme. I keep trying to talk my DW into letting me get a wrap on the fifth wheel that simulates an old west wagon...canvas top and all, and then get the truck painted to look like a couple horses.

Bob&Patty

I want a stage coach or a steam locomotive painted on mine:). Vance and kathleen should have had Emeril's face painted on theirs. Bob:D

theharveys

Bob,
I love the steam train idea. I also thought I would like to paint mine to look like an old castle. After all a man's home is his castle...I consider my stick home to be my second home.
Jeff

Bob&Patty

Yeah, we could make something to puff out smoke and blow steam out the sides:cool:. That would get people going!!!! Bob:D:D

Bob&Patty

Paint Robin Hood and his band of "Merry" men on the side. Put a draw bridge where the door is. Not sure about a mote around the coach though. Alligators might be a little much carry with you.:eek: Does DW have a sense of humor??? Just tell her I made you do it. Bob:D