Tire Pressure Monitors

WBG

WBGavin
Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a tire pressure monitoring system for my 2014 BH 3570RS. Does anyone have experience with these systems? Do they work? Are they reliable?
I have read many reviews on Amazon and there is a decided lack of consensus as to whether or not they really work in "Real" situations. I think I need eight transmitters (4 - for the trailer,22or the real wheels of the truck and 2 for the two spares - trailer & truck).
Issues seem to be:
1) Do they know when you are towing and when you are single?
2) Can they transmit reliably to the cab of the truck from a 38' trailer?
3) Do you have to change all the valve stems to match the metal in the transmitters?
4) Is a locking mechanism really necessary?
5) Is a flow thru design a deal maker or breaker?
6) Should you purchase a signal booster regardless of what the manufacturer says?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

WBG

Garypowell

From what you have written you are not looking at a Valor system. It is an internal to the tire system that I think makes a lot more sense that something on the end of the tire stem.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

WBG

It doesn't matter, but if you leave your trailer at your campsite it won't read what isn't there.

Usually, I have had to add the repeater antenna.

3) Do you have to change all the valve stems to match the metal in the transmitters?
You should have metal valve stems. Steel is fine.

No.

Not for me.

6) Should you purchase a signal booster regardless of what the manufacturer says?
In my opinion, yes.

These are just my opinions.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi All,

Issues seem to be:
Hi WBG,

My experience is with the TST 507.

1. You change the mode from tow vehicle only, to tow vehicle plus trailer.
2. My transmitters were pretty reliable on our 39' Landmark to the GMC CC Longbed, but some people have had to get an intermediate device.
3. Our trailer came with Goodyear G614 tires that have strong valve stems. Nothing special required.
4. To me, the locking mechanism on the TST 507 provides a little security without being too difficult to operate.
5. The 507 didn't have the flow through design. There have been some posts from owners who have not gotten full utility out of the flow-through design. Some pumps aren't compatible. But you can still use a gauge to confirm pressure without removing the sensor.
6. With a long truck/trailer combination, you should probably get either a booster, or antenna extension.

bigdob24

I have the TST 507 And just recently installed them on my RV.
There was a discrepancy between my two Milton air gauges and the sensors , and I lean more towards the sensors being more accurate.
Mine have the security, and it's easy to remove if you don't want it.
I also bought the booster to insure no problems.
Very easy setup and operation.
May put sensors on the truck somewhere down the road also.
Called the manufacture two times and they were very helpful over the phone also.
Good system, look for the best deal and have a little piece of mind.
Dan

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hi All,

I am thinking of getting a tire pressure monitoring system for my 2014 BH 3570RS. Does anyone have experience with these systems? Do they work? Are they reliable?
I have read many reviews on Amazon and there is a decided lack of consensus as to whether or not they really work in "Real" situations. I think I need eight transmitters (4 - for the trailer,22or the real wheels of the truck and 2 for the two spares - trailer & truck).
Issues seem to be:

WBG

We used to have the Doran TPMS and now have the TST TPMS. Both worked very well. The reason we changed is the receiver on the Doran TPMS quit working after 5 years and we wanted to try something else. The answer some of your questions

1 - both the Doran and the TST (and I believe the Pressure Pro) can be programmed to work single or when towing. It is a simple change.
2 - The Doran sensors worked very well for the first few years and then (as the batteries weakened) we would loose the signal from the sensors. The TST has batteries you can change yourself but the Doran sensors have to either be replaced or sent back to the factory for replacement when the batteries need replacing. That is one of the reasons we changed to the TST. We had the Doran on a 40 foot Landmark and it worked fine without a booster. The TST sensors are on our 43 foot Landmark and they work just fine without a booster.
3 - You need to have metal valve stems on the tires the sensors go on. We did not have the metal stem on one tire and the sensors causes the stem to flex and it caused the tire to go flat when the stem began leaking. Metal stems prevent the flexing.
4 - We did not have the locking mechanism engaged on the Doran sensors and never had an issue. All the locking mechanism is, is an alan nut that is tightened to hold the sensor in place and to prevent the sensor from being unscrewed.
5 - We did not have the flow through sensor on the Doran but have them on the TST. I prefer the flow through because you do not have to remove the sensor to add pressure.
6 - I really don't thing you need a booster and would not waste my money on one. We have never needed one.

Hope this helps ... BTW the Doran and Pressure Pro TPMS are almost the same. Doran used to make the Pressure Pro if I remember right.

sengli

I have the TST 507 system on our 38' big horn. Have had it two years or so now, and never needed a booster. It works, and is easy to replace batteries in the sending units, which is a huge plus.

porthole

Retired
The 507 (and 510 IIRC) have the option of an extended antenna. That was all I used on our rig. Ran the cable up the A-post of the truck and stuffed the antenna above the headliner. Solved my sensor drop out issue 100%.
My kit came with the antenna. Do current 507 kits no longer have that option?

WBG

WBGavin
All,

Thanks to all of you for your very helpful information.

It looks like the TST 507 is by far the favorite. One nice feature is that you can get it with a flow thru design, and a booster is available if you need it.

Before I pull the trigger on this, has anyone tried the new TireMinder A1A or the roughly equivalent TM66 - M6 (available only thru Camping World)? It does not have a flow thru option but does have some good reviews.

Finally, to address the question of why I want to monitor the spares in the trailer and truck, I find crawling underneath each to check the tire pressure a real pain. Plus, every time I have had to use a spare it was down on pressure. A monitor would at least give me some peace of mind that they were ready to be used if needed.

Again, thank so much for all you input!!!

WB

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Finally, to address the question of why I want to monitor the spares in the trailer and truck, I find crawling underneath each to check the tire pressure a real pain. Plus, every time I have had to use a spare it was down on pressure. A monitor would at least give me some peace of mind that they were ready to be used if needed.
You can air up the spares if needed when you have to change a tire.
That is if you carry a compressor which is not a bad idea.
A little bit more costly, but they do come in handy.

Peace
Dave

WBG

WBGavin

Peace
Dave

A compressor on the short list for additions.

Thanks

WBG

SilverRhino

Peace
Dave

I monitor the spare on the trailer just because I had an extra sending unit......Does eliminate crawling under the trailer!

Agree with the idea of an air compressor..... I have an air chuck coming off the truck air system and a stand alone ViAir 480c compressor in the truck box that is a 200 PSI / 1.76 CFM unit linked to a 5 gallon tank. These two set ups give me plenty of air should I need to top off a tire or blow out the filter on the wife's vacuum cleaner!

Travel Safe!

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We have the TST 507 on our 41' Key Largo and our 2012 F350 DRW and have absolutely no problems picking up the trailer or truck sensors with no external antenna or range extender. It has saved us twice on our prior trailer (Bighorn), alerting us to a pending disaster before the tires blew. We would not be without one ever.

Rod

WBG

WBGavin

I monitor the spare on the trailer just because I had an extra sending unit......Does eliminate crawling under the trailer!

Agree with the idea of an air compressor..... I have an air chuck coming off the truck air system and a stand alone ViAir 480c compressor in the truck box that is a 200 PSI / 1.76 CFM unit linked to a 5 gallon tank. These two set ups give me plenty of air should I need to top off a tire or blow out the filter on the wife's vacuum cleaner!

Travel Safe!

Thanks for the information on your air compressor. Not sure if I will get one that big, but having one along sounds like a very good idea.

WBG

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When you get around to scoping out the compressors, the Viair is a good brand.
I have the Viair rated at 200 psi like SilverRhino, but have a 2 gal. tank.
It could use a little more volume like his 5 gal.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have a 37' ElkRidge and did need the repeater. It's not length but interference that can cause issues. We'd have wheels drop intermittently, then alarm, which was very disconcerting -- added repeater and no more dropped sensors. We also added sensors to the dually tires as well. We added an inverter to run an AC air compressor while on the road.

Our TST has saved us on a couple of occasions. Well worth the investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grey Ghost

I have a 34' 5ver and I have the TST 507 and don't have to have the repeater. Works just great. Highly recommend the TST and the company is one that will stand behind their product, unlike most companies this day and age!:cool:

avvidclif

I have had a TST 507 system for over 4 years with zero problems. When I needed to change batteries I contacted TST and they sent me new gaskets and spare screws, gratis. Great people in my opinion. On the air compressor I bought a Slime unit ( WM# 001043765) at Walmart and it came in a small carrying bag. Works fine for topping off 80 lb tires and fairly fast. Runs on 12v and between the cord and hose I could plug into the 12 jack in the basement and reach all 4 tires. I don't know how long for 110lb tires.

My 2 cents, spend it wisely.